• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When your supermarket caters to autistics

It seems weird to me that a store would decide all autistics will be available to shop at a certain time of the week, like Wednesdays at 2:30. Do they assume we don't have jobs? Don't we go to school? If we are home with our parents as caregivers, don't our parents have jobs? In my case 2:30 pm would be "hell time" because of the bright sun, and then you're hitting rush hour traffic on the way back home. I'd want early evening when it's darker outside too.
True, but I love the idea. Also, while intended for autistics, I am sure anyone can shop during that time. Otherwise it would be discriminatory.

True, but I love the idea. Also, while intended for autistics, I am sure anyone can shop during that time. Otherwise it would be discriminatory.
Lol but then it wouldn't be catered for autistics.

It is mighty hard to please everyone in this world without some sort of discrimination somewhere. It was easier back in the days when the world was catered for the majority, as unfair and inconvenient as it is for minority groups.

But anyway, back on topic. In my personal experience (and not speaking for everyone else here) all supermarkets would be quiet and bearable if there were no small children there. They should just have "no children under 8" times. After all, adults are the majority of the population!

Lol but then it wouldn't be catered for autistics.

It is mighty hard to please everyone in this world without some sort of discrimination somewhere. It was easier back in the days when the world was catered for the majority, as unfair and inconvenient as it is for minority groups.

But anyway, back on topic. In my personal experience (and not speaking for everyone else here) all supermarkets would be quiet and bearable if there were no small children there. They should just have "no children under 8" times. After all, adults are the majority of the population!
Perhaps, but "easier" does not always translate into better.

Also, while I agree that kids can make the market much more challenging, it is really tough for a store to tell a parent that they would have to find a babysitter in order to go grocery shopping. On the other hand, an "Adults Only" shopping time could create some pretty funny misunderstandings.

New Threads

Top Bottom