• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When your supermarket caters to autistics

Rogue Princess

Princess of Hell
V.I.P Member

Countdown NZ does a low sensory quiet hour from the support of autismNZ

Wednesdays at 2.30pm. only big issue is it's a struggle to read prices when the lights are so dim. It makes my supermarket shopping a relaxing experience

Screenshot_2023-09-01-17-51-44-499_com.android.chrome.jpg

paknsave New Zealand has an AI that will help you find recipes based on the ingredients you provide/have available. Currently on the news for helping people cook with rat poison

And another NZ pride moment, we were the first country to get rid of plastic bags in supermarkets.
New Zealanders everywhere are enjoying broken jars and spilt milk everywhere from ripped paper bags ^-^ we're not the type to cry over spilt milk

I hope our anti plastic environmentalists bring back the glass bottle milk trucks. A coca cola one would also be a great addition too to our war on plastic.

Then I'd be able to get the full cream, full fat, silver top milk delivered. That would be lovely.
Would be a good job opportunity for the kiddos too. Hard honest work, train up our future garbage collectors.

Although these days, everything's in a wheelie bin and the truck does the heavy lifting.

Gone are the sexy strong garbage men that can throw you over their shoulders

I would so love the return of glass everything. I can reuse glass, or it is easily recycled. I can convert anything organic (like paper, or bones) into something that can then be turned into food.

I can use plastic (very useful), but not as much as I get on a daily basis, and it is a PITA to recycle... so it never really is, even when you return plastic bottles to the store.

It makes my supermarket shopping a relaxing experience
I really enjoyed the lockdown during covid but it didn't last very long here. Except for a few staff working behind counters and two police I had an entire shopping centre to myself. It was wonderful, so peaceful and quiet. I even stopped and chatted to the cops for a few minutes.

We used to recycle a lot more many years ago than we do today, drinks were in glass bottles and there was a deposit on the bottle, but not like the lame schemes they run today. The manufacturers wanted the bottles back because they washed them and refilled them.

And don't worry, paper bags won't last much longer, cellophane is on it's way back in.

I can't deal with supermarkets at all. Or, public. Online saves money too because you get a running tally and you can really take your time getting exactly what you want instead of crossing your fingers what the total will be. I keep a running list by filling my online cart when I think of things and then I just order when the prices drop.

It seems weird to me that a store would decide all autistics will be available to shop at a certain time of the week, like Wednesdays at 2:30. Do they assume we don't have jobs? Don't we go to school? If we are home with our parents as caregivers, don't our parents have jobs? In my case 2:30 pm would be "hell time" because of the bright sun, and then you're hitting rush hour traffic on the way back home. I'd want early evening when it's darker outside too.

The only thing I get overwhelmed with at supermarkets is the sound of babies crying and toddlers having tantrums. If there could be an 'autism-friendly' hour that just involves no children under a certain age then that would do me perfectly. Lights and other noise don't bother me in the slightest.

The only thing I get overwhelmed with at supermarkets is the sound of babies crying and toddlers having tantrums.
I got a standing ovation in a supermarket once.

I entered the supermarket at the same time as a woman with a little boy, probably 3 or 4 years old, he was sitting in the shopping trolley throwing a tantrum. No words, just non stop high pitched squealing. She was ignoring him.

Both of us ended up going up and down the same aisles at the same time, the kid never shut up and she never did anything about it. By the time I got halfway down the third aisle I'd had enough. I have a very big and well trained baritone voice and I use it sometimes.

"Lady, if you don't shut that kid up, I will!"

The kid shut up instantly, and the whole shop went so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then someone started clapping, someone whistled, a few others joined in. The lady with the kid picked up the kid and her handbag and walked out, but once she got out from in between the aisles everyone could see her and they all started clapping and cheering.

I got a standing ovation in a supermarket once.

I entered the supermarket at the same time as a woman with a little boy, probably 3 or 4 years old, he was sitting in the shopping trolley throwing a tantrum. No words, just non stop high pitched squealing. She was ignoring him.

Both of us ended up going up and down the same aisles at the same time, the kid never shut up and she never did anything about it. By the time I got halfway down the third aisle I'd had enough. I have a very big and well trained baritone voice and I use it sometimes.

"Lady, if you don't shut that kid up, I will!"

The kid shut up instantly, and the whole shop went so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Then someone started clapping, someone whistled, a few others joined in. The lady with the kid picked up the kid and her handbag and walked out, but once she got out from in between the aisles everyone could see her and they all started clapping and cheering.
I admire people who have the guts to say what everyone is thinking lol.

I agree 2.30pm is a strange time. If I could have picked a time slot it would have been 10am or 1pm.
It's the sound of the chillers, the fridges and some of the machines they use in the butcher's/deli section that really get to me the most. They don't turn those off.

It's the sound of the chillers, the fridges and some of the machines they use in the butcher's/deli section that really get to me the most. They don't turn those off.
Geez, me too. They're too loud and the pulsating sound makes it even louder than it is and super annoying

I took a look at the dates/hours for supermarket sensory-friendly hours in my area, and they include...

Thursdays 3 PM - 5 PM
Sundays 6 PM - 7 PM

Every 2nd Wednesday 6 PM - 8 PM
Every 2nd Thursday 6 PM - 8 PM
Every 2nd Friday 4 PM - 5 PM

I didnt even know this was a thing at all.

Cant imagine it'd work too well at any of the ones I go to. You cant turn off screaming children or irritating people berating workers, after all.

It seems weird to me that a store would decide all autistics will be available to shop at a certain time of the week, like Wednesdays at 2:30. Do they assume we don't have jobs? Don't we go to school? If we are home with our parents as caregivers, don't our parents have jobs? In my case 2:30 pm would be "hell time" because of the bright sun, and then you're hitting rush hour traffic on the way back home. I'd want early evening when it's darker outside too.
For me, 2:30 is the worst time, because it's the time when people are popping into the supermarket on their way home from work and it's super-busy. Mid afternoon, during siesta time, or late afternoon is usually best.

Turning off the radio/music and lowering the checkout volume is great though, in Lidl here the scanner makes a loud beep and the sound is painful to my ears. I always wear headphones or earplugs to the supermarket.

Lighting is ok as long as it's shielded. There's a new supermarket near me that I can't bear for one reason: the smell. It has a lot of plastic goods in it and the whole place smells intensely of plastic. It's overpowering.

That's strange. In my country people finish work at 5pm and mid afternoon is 2:30pm.
Thought it was like that everywhere.

I remember on another forum someone said 10am in the afternoon. It's weird...

Isn't noon 12pm? Or is it different in different countries?

My bank has a quiet hour from 2pm to 3pm. I only found out recently. I don't recall if it was one day per week - I think it was.

About 2% of people are autistic. The bank is open 44 hours per week. 1 hour is about 2%.

I wonder if the disability laws stating that employers must make "reasonable adjustments" covers giving autistic people time off during quiet hours so they can do their shopping and banking.

That bank and one of the supermarkets also have a quiet room which you can go to for relief if the noise/smell/light etc. become overwhelming.

New Threads

Top Bottom