• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

When I think I am controlling anxiety...

Nacho

Hello guys, long time no see, I have taken vacation from society for a couple months now after exams, I finished all my exams on first week of June and since then I haven't had contact with any human being other than my parents - I have been at home without leaving once, trying slowly to remove all the accumulated anxiety I had from this year.

I've been playing the piano and reading.
Nothing much, you would think, right?

Just when I thought I was overcoming my deep anxiety about anything, the smallest thing can make me shiver out of fear and get me in a shock state for some hours, and after that, all my anxiety will be back.

It happened just a couple hours back, and it's not the first time it happens to me. Happened last year too as long as I can remember.

The thing is: I was calmly reading a book, I was enjoying it a lot, it had such a positive vibe about it and all of a sudden THE PROTAGONIST'S MOTHER IS FOUND SLAUGHTERED IN A GHETTO STREET. WTF? Really, I had to close the book and crawl to my bed because I was loath to even breath at that moment. And a couple hours later, I still now feel horrible, with no appetite, and I feel really really sick...

Does this happen to anybody else? I think we all aspies have some form of hypersensitivity to events and stimuli, but I was wondering if anyone else has had it to this extent.

Thanks

Many of us simply don't have rich social lives and relationships. That we may be prone to vicariously investing ourselves more in the lives of fictional characters. I often get angry at myself when I feel such emotions for someone who doesn't actually exist. And then I go on to do it again.

But I try not to let it effect me in such an intense way.

That we may be prone to vicariously investing ourselves more in the lives of fictional characters.

Good point. For me, it doesn't even have to be fictional characters. A few of the news stories lately have really been upsetting for me and hard to assimilate that these things can happen. I get to where I have to avoid all news outlets (incl facebook) because it's just too emotionally intense.

Off to Star Trek TNG reruns I go, where I know there's nearly always a happy ending...

Good point. For me, it doesn't even have to be fictional characters. A few of the news stories lately have really been upsetting for me and hard to assimilate that these things can happen. I get to where I have to avoid all news outlets (incl facebook) because it's just too emotionally intense.

Yes. Reality has its impact as well. Brought back many memories of a past era I'd just assume forget.

Yet it's impossible to ignore.

Off to Star Trek TNG reruns I go, where I know there's nearly always a happy ending...

If someone is prone to being depressed, it seems to me that reading current events could certainly set it off. Particularly this year. The majority of the population appears to have hate in their hearts. Which makes no sense since anyone would be better off in every way with out it. I like coming to Aspies Central for a dose of calmness and logical thought.

Last edited:
The majority of the population appears to have hate in their hearts.

Maybe it becomes hate...and is certainly expressed as hate...but has its roots in fear.

I think most of these people--whichever side they're on--have committed the logical fallacy of generalizing and stereotyping. One or a few people of one group do not represent the entire group. Whether that's a race group, or a career group, or a religious group, or an economical group, or a political group...doesn't matter. We humans keep taking a few bad examples and generalizing to all people who look like that person on the outside. We argue with the other side's lowest common denominator--the stupidest arguments from the other side, rather than the well-thought-out perspectives of the other side--and then we call the other group stupid instead of trying to understand. It goes both ways. Conservative, progressive, liberal, black, white, Christian, Muslim, atheist...all of them. All of them. All of these groups (spurred on by the media) keep attacking other groups based on a few extremists from each group. It's really getting exhausting to watch.

So...for the sake of managing my own anxiety, I have to avoid Facebook more and more, and watch cat videos instead. And puppies. There's always puppies.

I had that happen while reading a book that I hadn't read in many, many years. Like the OP, I was reading happily along, when a horrible tragedy befell a little girl in the book, where she actually ended up dying. I, too, felt like WTF? Why did such a horrible thing have to happen? I put the book down and nearly wept. Knowing it was fictional characters didn't help at all. I can relate to the feelings expressed here about current events, too. I find myself wanting to curl up in a small ball and hiding from the entire world.

Yesterday I phoned my elderly Aunt who had been sick, and she actually asked me to call back because she was watching the President conduct a memorial service for the recent events involving police officers. She actually urged me to hang up the phone and tune into the broadcast. Without thinking it through, I did so and after five minutes I got horribly depressed and wondered why I had listened to her suggestion. So I started working on some fiction I have been writing and soon felt that all was right in my world again. I don't understand why people want to delve into horrible news events on purpose!

Maybe it becomes hate...and is certainly expressed as hate...but has its roots in fear.

I think most of these people--whichever side they're on--have committed the logical fallacy of generalizing and stereotyping. One or a few people of one group do not represent the entire group. Whether that's a race group, or a career group, or a religious group, or an economical group, or a political group...doesn't matter. We humans keep taking a few bad examples and generalizing to all people who look like that person on the outside. We argue with the other side's lowest common denominator--the stupidest arguments from the other side, rather than the well-thought-out perspectives of the other side--and then we call the other group stupid instead of trying to understand. It goes both ways. Conservative, progressive, liberal, black, white, Christian, Muslim, atheist...all of them. All of them. All of these groups (spurred on by the media) keep attacking other groups based on a few extremists from each group. It's really getting exhausting to watch.

So...for the sake of managing my own anxiety, I have to avoid Facebook more and more, and watch cat videos instead. And puppies. There's always puppies.

I agree. And this is a election year on top of every thing else. My wife says that I have been yelling at the TV more than usual. All year long we have had to listen to politicians talk endlessly and not say anything. Through all of this we are supposed to decide who to vote for. My wife and I agree on who to vote for, but it took time to decide. It would not be appropriate to say who we decided on here, but we think that she will make a good president.

This is why I'm a Pixar fan. ;)

For sure, I'm hypersensitive. I select my friends and acquaintances with much care.
I do not own a TV.

Rest well, dear Nacho! Hope you feel much better soon.

Oh Nacho, I have as well. I look through books before I buy them and if there is some sort of violence created so it will sell, I don't bother with it. As popular books without some sort of violence are difficult to find, I'm quite choosy about what I do read.

Tend to stick to some of the older classics, although there is quite a bit of violence in them, it's simply more covert and less graphic. Tend to skip whole chapters as well if I don't like something or it doesn't interest me. At times it's better not to let the world weigh you down, and avoid the horrid parts that tend to amplify the darker side of human nature.

Hate having to wait all the way to October to determine who Negan murdered in the season finale of "The Walking Dead".

I know who it was in the comic book, but I'm hoping the screenwriters won't follow that route and choose someone else. :eek:

Hi Nacho Yes that happens to me regularly and recently it spiked up significantly. So I decided to try a new approach to managing my anxiety, adding small but good stuff I do for me. Comfortable changes which are helping a ittle bit anyway. Too soon to tell but am feeling better.

New Threads

Top Bottom