• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What’s With the Good Morning Thing?

I’m wondering if anyone else is bothered or annoyed by this or if I’m just weird in this regard, but I don’t see the point in saying good morning to the same people day after day.

I’m not talking about a stranger I’ve seen on the street and end up saying “Morning” to. I’m not even talking about co-workers that require a morning greeting as some sort of status check.

No, I’m talking about the people I live with. The people I see every single day and who want me to give a greeting as soon as I see them.

When I was a kid, I had to say good morning to my family or they would get offended that I hadn’t greeted them. I couldn’t get up each day and when I saw a family member, just start a talking to them. No! I had to say some sort of morning greeting first.

This always bothered me but I didn’t understand why it bugged me so much. This still happens now even though I live with other people. There’s still this unspoken rule of the “good morning ritual.”

I just don’t see the point in it. They already know that I live here and that they will see me, so why do I have to say some sort of good morning every day?

I prefer to skip the hollow nicety and start talking about whatever’s important for that day. And the same applies with “hi” or “hello,” although I’m less bothered when giving these greetings. I still don’t see why I have to say it every day to these same people.

I can understand that most require or want an acknowledgement first before diving into conversation. But I would expect this with people I’ve newly met. Or people in the workplace where there’s a more formal setting and they expect a social acknowledgement. But folks I already know and see every day in a casual setting, I just don’t get it.

I mean, does everyone automatically do the good morning thing without thinking? Is this a natural response people have? Or am I making too much of this? Should I just spit out greetings like a robot?
Hmm...you all are missing the keys to the NT social kingdom...not only should you say it but you have to say it warmly like you really missed them.
do this and social doors start opening.
The NTs eat, ( a warm greeting and maybe a friendly hand shake or warm touch on the shoulder), up like candy.
You can move your social status up quite a bit with this sort of greeting..
..as a Alpha male or Alpha Female tend to do these sorts of greetings....it is a show of no social fear, and it also shows willingness to bond with and show affection to others!
You can carve your own friend tribe out with a warm greetings!

Maelstrom...been there tried it...it can work!

Last edited:
Oh, wow. I must be a Vulcan.
The formality of these various greetings I never understood. I just start talking about what ever is pertinent at home and same when I used to work. People say these little greetings to me everywhere, but, I never initiate it. I will reply something. Usually an OK or just a bit of a bow of the head or slight smile. Sometimes I say goodnight to someone I live with. I avoid eye contact alot when out around others and that usually diverts much of the greetings phases.
I always said people must either think I am either very rude or very shy. I'm neither. I'm just matter of fact and down to business without the meet and have to greet that somehow got established in society norms.
Yes, I guess I don't have the keys to the NTs Kingdom.
But, does it matter? Only if you want it to.

doing it is low cost, high benefit,

it's easier to just do it than analyse or be annoyed by it,
it just smooths the daily interaction with people

same with how are you. i hate it cuz its a dumb question considering they dont wanna hear about how i am. so i usually answer with good and walk away

I think many a person has regretted asking me how I am. I probably sound like a manic-depressive on an "up" day. :D

What I find strange is that, the morning has only just begun, so how can it be a good morning and what if the person had a dreadful night and did not feel it was a "good" morning?

I also find: how are you, to be very annoying. I guess, it is because I have no idea how I am lol.

Since it is just my husband and me, at home, I do believe I fall into the trap of saying: good morning. Oh such a contradiction!

What I find strange is that, the morning has only just begun, so how can it be a good morning and what if the person had a dreadful night and did not feel it was a "good" morning?

I also find: how are you, to be very annoying. I guess, it is because I have no idea how I am lol.

Since it is just my husband and me, at home, I do believe I fall into the trap of saying: good morning. Oh such a contradiction!
Well, unless I'm mistaken, it means you're wishing the person a good morning, so you're not assuming anything about their morning so far.

'good morning' is just a formality i guess, done out of politeness, if i sneeze, i say 'excuse me' without actually expecting anyone to formally confirm that they have accepted my apology,

its just one of those things that greases social interaction when everyone is still half asleep :)

When I first started working in a hospital many years ago I tried to avoid folks and just go about my bussiness. Then I was confronted by, "you too good to speak?" I learned that acknowledging others was just a common courtesy that didnt take much effort. I desired to fit in so I got with the program. I also consciously made an effort to respond to others in similar but not exact verbage that they offered. So often folks just respond with the exact same words. I made a mental game of it.

But also having a positive outlook helps most folks. " It's a new day and it's going to be a good one!" Is a better way to start every day, if you can.

Ugh ... this irritates me too.
I hate the "did you sleep well?" question too. :mad:

Having to say "good morning" when arriving at the office was exhausting... and they expected this EVERY DAY. :eek:
Then you had to continually greet people whenever you passed them, like a 'hey', or how's it going?' that could be downgraded to a smile, then to a nod, to finally I can go home to agonise about starting the bloody insane ritual over again the next day.

However, I have absolutely no problem asking my puppy how she is each time I see her. :D

I know it's insane. But it's how the NTs pick us out. Go with it, if just to stay under the radar. :)

I smiled when I saw this thread. At Two o'clock, I saw my principal and started to ask her a question when she cut me off and intimated I say Good Morning! It was afternoon! I get this all the time. Sometimes, I am just thinking about my day and don't notice the others as I enter or just don't want to talk at that moment! It is good to know I am not the only one.....

Well, unless I'm mistaken, it means you're wishing the person a good morning, so you're not assuming anything about their morning so far.
This is where the devil's advocate in me kicks in, and I clearly remember having that thought several times a day as I greeted people: but what if I don't want them to have a good morning? Obviously I'll still try to be polite, but I have been actively trying to shake this over-analysis of the meaning behind good morning, and it's still nagging me.
I'm sure as a result I have a significantly harder time greeting people I don't like than people I'm OK with.

I never got it, and I forget to say it sometimes. One time I was called into my boss' office over it. When my daughter asked me why we said good morning, I had no idea.

I say "good morning" usually to family. To other people, I say "hi" or "hey", when they're looking in my direction. I keep it moving and go about my day.

I don't get worked up by the words. Like "How are you doing?" is usually not a request for a detailed report of your situation in life, but a form of "Hello."

"Good morning" may be an indication the person is happy to see you. Or it could be a courteous acknowledgment of your existence. All fine with me. I say it too. I do wish them well, so why not.

I don't really see the point in it either. I do say "Good morning" to my boyfriend, but that's because he works until 6am and I open the door for him when he gets home. People often think I am rude because I just go straight into conversation, but they already know I'm there, so...why say it?

This is where the devil's advocate in me kicks in, and I clearly remember having that thought several times a day as I greeted people: but what if I don't want them to have a good morning? Obviously I'll still try to be polite, but I have been actively trying to shake this over-analysis of the meaning behind good morning, and it's still nagging me.
I'm sure as a result I have a significantly harder time greeting people I don't like than people I'm OK with.
You do have a point Katleya don't engage people you feel are not safe to be socially close to...but in general it may help get you that raise you wanted.

I think the "Good" part of the "Good Morning" is like a wishful thing like when people wish somebody a "Happy Birthday".

Should just start greeting everybody, "Happy Unbirthday". :p

New Threads

Top Bottom