• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Would You Do If You Could Be An NT For 1 Week ???

And I posted my hypothetical answer :rolleyes:

When you saw my post about my status,YOU were the one that explained it in wording that was confusing
(irrespective of which you'd rather remain as). Was it as or was it poorly typed AS often how people abbreviate Asperger's Syndrome. keep in mind that part of being on the autism spectrum is taking many things literally ;)

The possibilities do not have geographical borders and that thought is utter non-sense :rolleyes:

"We're team GB- (GREAT Britain). Oh and hehe, unlike you americans we don't have the 'american dream', you know why? Because here in the UK we're awake!! And don't forget our unofficial national anthem- rule britannia (with union jacks waving in the breeze of the oceans we used for our ancient conquests)."

I cannot help it that you live under the rule of such an oppressive society that you can no longer make your own decisions and have to play follow the leader into such a bland and non-think for yourself world. Robots come to mind,programmed for specific tasks and not allowed to color their pictures outside of the lines. Doesn't sound very awake to me,sounds horrible in fact. I actually pity you instead of thinking you have it better than I do :rolleyes:
I used the opportunities that were available to me here in the land of the free and the home of the brave. I am very glad I wasn't born on the other side of the pond where you now claim they weren't available to you.
This part of my post is also a response to your attack post to me that the mods removed.
I'm sure now that it was all hypothetical as well ;)

"HFA,ASD, they can't even make up their minds whether aspergers exists or not. I always pictured autism as a really bad thing that required a helper with you 24/7 whereas having aspergers was just a difference in your outlook on the world and your ibnteractions with it."

This is where the beginnings of your approach to your own thread started to fall apart. The ones who can't make up their minds about it are the psych world and the people in charge of the fiscal responsibilities for support.I'm pretty sure here and the rest of the world,both money or governments are the ones that can't make up their minds and steer it any way they can,including an influence on how or where said money gets spent ;)
Psychology is one of the worst games to play if you really want to know the truth,because it is all based on very subjective opinions from observation alone. No scientific method,only a guessing game. What exactly would you expect if the persons doing the assessments all had a different understanding of what autism is or isn't like yourself :emojiconfused:

Q.E.D.

What? "Great" Britain not offering enough possibilities? Say it ain't so! :rolleyes:
Q.E.D :confused:o_O
There's always possiblities and opportunities here in the UK, why do you think we had our referendum on our countries desireability from excess EU immigrants. Your problem is mexicans (a poor guess from me) and ours is the eastern continent.

keep in mind that part of being on the autism spectrum is taking many things literally ;)
I rarely think or take things literally, but I often pretend to.

I cannot help it that you live under the rule of such an oppressive society that you can no longer make your own decisions and have to play follow the leader into such a bland and non-think for yourself world.
Who's opressed exactly :confused:??
I'm an aspie remember, we don't follow, we lead. "A party of one but a slave to none".
The so-called accusation that one of the staff thought I made (leading to the comments removal) was not literal, but as it was a literal thinkiong aspie who deleted it, I shouldn't be annoyed :rolleyes::p

No, he doesn't.

I've lived in England ...

We win.;)
I know that. I refuse to play his childish little game any longer.

According to him,I must be so low functioning that I am non-verbal and incapable of having rational thoughts :p

I know that. I refuse to play his childish little game any longer.

According to him,I must be so low functioning that I am non-verbal and incapable of having rational thoughts :p

Well, this is all they have to do over there. Poor sods. At least it keeps them off the streets. :)

I like theoretical situations that force thought, even if uncomfortable. I enjoy others perspectives, even if I cannot relate. I strive to understand others more, hoping to understand myself better, but it seems that I stand alone as an individual, not fitting any box or DSM label. I simply AM. I wonder how long the Psycologists will sub divide humanity until it reveals each and every human as authentically in a "box" or catagory of "label"? My label is Matthew. I identify as me. I have a great deal of Aspi traits, but more that simply are undefined.

Last edited:
I would just live life to the fullest that I desired as an NT and journal the whole thing, noting any differences and similarities in energy, motivation, etc. Then I would go back to aspie life, quite simply. But what I think is really cool is that experiences themselves can help/change you. For example, I was on medication for anxiety for a while - during that time I read intensely about social anxiety and had the wherewithal, thanks to the meds, to practice the social skills I was reading about. Later, I got off the meds, but I had become habituated to some basic socializing, so it no longer gives me such anxiety - I am able to deal better with it now. I still have social anxiety issues - I still struggle a lot - but I am grateful for what improvement I was able to achieve. I also realized what I did and didn't like by trying out some things I otherwise wouldn't have. I think that having NT brain for a while could help clarify some of my beliefs and opinions about myself, my goals, my limitations, which right now might be marred by anxiety and mental vortexing, getting stuck in circles.

There's nothing wrong with being autistic nor is there anything wrong with being neurotypical. We are all human beings and I don't care who you are, all have different wiring and things that make us tic. I think that NT's just aren't open enough to accept their own qualms in life where we do accept and even embrace our autie/aspie traits. I hope Y'all can find some sort of common ground and make peace!

I'm NT and I completely disagree with this sweeping generalisation. There seems to be much 'NT bashing' taking place on this post (not necessarily from this particular post), it makes me wonder, if any of you came across something similar about autistics, what would you think? Would you think it was acceptable to be spoken about in such a derogatory manner?

It strikes me that much of the prejudice which is complained about (which I'm certain happens and is awful - I'm not invalidating anyone's life experience with that statement), is being perpetuated, but in reverse. This strikes me as being a very human response, so perhaps in some ways, we're not so dissimilar after all?!

My Granny used to say "two wrongs don't make a right", she was wise... :)

I've not read all the argueing yet, so this is just in response to the OP.

As an NT for a week I would... (feels like a home work assignment!)

• Start writing in txt speak LOL XOXO.
  • have no care for my own mis-spellings or lack of punctuation or Capitalisation.
  • ALTHOUGH I MIGHT WRITE IN CAPS TO INDICATE I'M VERY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!
  • I'd spend 70% of my time on Facebook to see what wasting my life feels like.
  • I'd go to networking events and actually want to speak to all the other people with ulterior motives and agendas.
  • I'd watch movies and enjoy the slushy, romantic bits instead of squirming, and complaining aloud that this is bull****.
  • I'd actually GO to a movie theatre and not want to murder ANYBODY. Even if they do talk or crunch too loud.
  • I'd drive my car with pretty much zero awareness of anything or anyone around me.

What fun!

Note; I felt dirty just writing some of that.

l8trs

Ironic - with the silly arguments in this thread I think some members in here are already living the experience! Hooray for normies!

Wait a sec...everyone does that! Never mind then, I think I'll be autistic for a week instead :p because, you know, screw being just human and all...

I'm NT and I completely disagree with this sweeping generalisation. There seems to be much 'NT bashing' taking place on this post (not necessarily from this particular post), it makes me wonder, if any of you came across something similar about autistics, what would you think? Would you think it was acceptable to be spoken about in such a derogatory manner?

Eek Eek :eek:, an NT....shooo shoooo....away with you!!:rolleyes::p

Yes I agree with you though in that some of the responses diverted from my question and my hope that there were some NT elements that (like me) people wished they had or could have for a short time just to understand the majority NT populous.

I've not read all the argueing yet, so this is just in response to the OP.

As an NT for a week I would... (feels like a home work assignment!)

• Start writing in txt speak LOL XOXO.
  • have no care for my own mis-spellings or lack of punctuation or Capitalisation.
  • ALTHOUGH I MIGHT WRITE IN CAPS TO INDICATE I'M VERY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!
  • I'd spend 70% of my time on Facebook to see what wasting my life feels like.
  • I'd go to networking events and actually want to speak to all the other people with ulterior motives and agendas.
  • I'd watch movies and enjoy the slushy, romantic bits instead of squirming, and complaining aloud that this is bull****.
  • I'd actually GO to a movie theatre and not want to murder ANYBODY. Even if they do talk or crunch too loud.
  • I'd drive my car with pretty much zero awareness of anything or anyone around me.

What fun!

Note; I felt dirty just writing some of that.

l8trs

I'm not on Facebook, I don't go to the cinema, I punctuate all my sentences correctly and I don't write in capital letters. The person you're describing is a moron, not an NT. Though you'll probably say that's one and the same thing.

I have no idea where your narrow view of NT's comes from, maybe you'd be better using your time as an NT trying to actually learn about someone with a different neurological make up. Then you wouldn't come across as so utterly judgemental and you'd have some genuine understanding.

I also really dislike the inference that Aspies are in someway inherently better than NT's. Again a narrow view, I've met some great Aspies, some boring ones, some mediocre ones, exactly the same as the NT world. I also don't think being Aspie automatically equals intelligence (as some would have you believe), I understand the criteria for Aspergers diagnosis to be (before the DSM-5) average to above average intelligence. The day I read this as 'always 10 IQ points above the most intelligent NT', I'll let you know, then that argument will no longer be redundant!

Anyway, I hope one day you'll change your mind about some NT's, we're not all boring, unintelligent, sheep...baaaaaaa

Eek Eek :eek:, an NT....shooo shoooo....away with you!!:rolleyes::p

Yes I agree with you though in that some of the responses diverted from my question and my hope that there were some NT elements that (like me) people wished they had or could have for a short time just to understand the majority NT populous.

I think your hypothetical question became lost somewhere in between the bittterness and the stereotyping.

It was nice to hear lots of people are happy being Aspie, we should all be celebrating diversity and not drawing negative comparison. All seems very counterproductive to me.

I think your hypothetical question became lost somewhere in between the bittterness and the stereotyping.

Hopefully you mean other peoples and not my own as it was my hope that certain elements would be desired even if others were outright disliked. It was based around the frustration I have in acknowledging one or two things I wish I could overcome whilst keeping various other aspie qualities.

Oh and you spelt 'bitterness' wrong, so the spelling mistake part has got to be true :p:D

ac75 civil.png

New Threads

Top Bottom