• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Would You Do If You Could Be An NT For 1 Week ???

Haha I'm typing this on my phone and I don't have my glasses on, so apologies for the error. It does undermine my argument somewhat!! :D Though personally I judge someone as an individual and by their actions. It seems very one dimensional to dismiss another person based on their inability to spell! Also, isn't dyslexia co-morbid with Aspergers sometimes? So I'm sure many Aspies can't spell at all, so the 'we're better than you, because we can spell' argument doesn't really hold up either.

I do mean other people's, sorry for not clarifying.

I think it'd be interesting if you were NT for a bit, though you probably would realise you were happy as you are. NT's have their own struggles too, perhaps just in different areas, mainly the inability to take the caps lock off and a fixation with social media...:D

I've not read all the argueing yet, so this is just in response to the OP.

As an NT for a week I would... (feels like a home work assignment!)

• Start writing in txt speak LOL XOXO.
  • have no care for my own mis-spellings or lack of punctuation or Capitalisation.
  • ALTHOUGH I MIGHT WRITE IN CAPS TO INDICATE I'M VERY SERIOUS!!!!!!!!
  • I'd spend 70% of my time on Facebook to see what wasting my life feels like.
  • I'd go to networking events and actually want to speak to all the other people with ulterior motives and agendas.
  • I'd watch movies and enjoy the slushy, romantic bits instead of squirming, and complaining aloud that this is bull****.
  • I'd actually GO to a movie theatre and not want to murder ANYBODY. Even if they do talk or crunch too loud.
  • I'd drive my car with pretty much zero awareness of anything or anyone around me.

What fun!

Note; I felt dirty just writing some of that.

l8trs
You spelt 'arguing' wrong, does that mean you're actually an NT in disguise?! :D

By the way, I'm teasing you, I think you should be more open to us NT's, honestly some of us are quite nice. :)

You spelt 'arguing' wrong, does that mean you're actually an NT in disguise?! :D

By the way, I'm teasing you, I think you should be more open to us NT's, honestly some of us are quite nice. :)

I think you could say that full steam has been 'hoisted'

(by his own petard)

Although I read his original post as just his own sense of humour within the threads context. God fordbid it's his 'actual' opinion :)

I think you could say that full steam has been 'hoisted'

(by his own petard)

Although I read his original post as just his own sense of humour within the threads context. God fordbid it's his 'actual' opinion :)

Maybe it was his humour, everything gets lost in translation for an NT online. Without the body language, facial expressions and tone of voice, it's really hard to decipher meaning. I kind of imagine that's what it's like being Aspie, but all the time. Am I wrong?

I'm not on Facebook, I don't go to the cinema, I punctuate all my sentences correctly and I don't write in capital letters. The person you're describing is a moron, not an NT. Though you'll probably say that's one and the same thing.

I have no idea where your narrow view of NT's comes from, maybe you'd be better using your time as an NT trying to actually learn about someone with a different neurological make up. Then you wouldn't come across as so utterly judgemental and you'd have some genuine understanding.

I also really dislike the inference that Aspies are in someway inherently better than NT's. Again a narrow view, I've met some great Aspies, some boring ones, some mediocre ones, exactly the same as the NT world. I also don't think being Aspie automatically equals intelligence (as some would have you believe), I understand the criteria for Aspergers diagnosis to be (before the DSM-5) average to above average intelligence. The day I read this as 'always 10 IQ points above the most intelligent NT', I'll let you know, then that argument will no longer be redundant!

Anyway, I hope one day you'll change your mind about some NT's, we're not all boring, unintelligent, sheep...baaaaaaa

I thought it was Aspies that were supposed to misunderstand humour?

FYI, everything I wrote was tongue in cheek - consider it gentle ribbing. I'm married to an NT (at least she thinks she is!)

<gentle ribbing>
Another thing I might do as an NT is stomp around all week looking for things to get offended by :D

...and the people lampooned in my post might be morons, but they are NT morons.
</gentle ribbing>

I think your post ended up caught in the crossfire of my general irritation about people stereotyping NT's. So, apologies for the confusion. Social misunderstandings are clearly not limited to the Aspie world after all! :D

Don't worry, I'm too busy mindlessly flicking through Facebook, tweeting random celebrities, or posting selfies where I look like a duck on Instagram... so I don't care.... :D :D

Post terrible normie memes, go to obnoxious parties and drink my brains away, yell in the street for no reason, laugh at virgins for not having lived the exact same life as me, and then die because I forgot my morning coffee and I can't function without it lmao
Disclaimer: Obviously I don't think NTs are all like this, this was exaggerated for comedic effect, no offense intended.~

No but seriously, I dunno. If I was suddenly NT, what would really change at this point? How much of what I would do would be determined by experience and how much by wiring?

I would spend the week getting used to my new operating system, and probably discovering that NTs don't have infinite spoons, just a lot more spoons than aspies.

In reference to the original post.

I would say that it wouldn't really be possible. Our personalities have developed around our differences/Aspergers/Autism, rewiring the brain like that might be like replacing a person's heart with a diesel engine.
(Unless I'm being dramatic with my comparison?)

I am NT (please don't shoot me) and I find your thoughts really interesting.
I can tell you now that being NT can be draining. Filtering information through everyone's lenses can be a minefield even if you're naturally capable of doing it.
The ability to read faces is a rich experience but it can be painful. Having insight is a heavy responsibility.
John Elder Robison, following TM treatment, found reading people's emotions and sensing the atmospheres around him overwhelming. He ended up divorcing his wife because he sensed her sadness. He lost friends who had been using him for their own gain. Not good friends to have anyways!
Not all NTs are weird, touchy feely chatterboxes who hug every five minutes. I call those people needy, and quite frankly, superficial. I find them exhausting! All that bloody talking!!!
Look out for NTs who can do ESP and who can tune in. They're rare but well worth it as they ignore the superficial stuff. You'll see them quietly observing other NTs but they're not there to mimic, they're there to analyze and find the truth. And when they read people, their conclusions are shockingly true. Other NTs don't have that ability.

In reference to the original post.

I would say that it wouldn't really be possible. Our personalities have developed around our differences/Aspergers/Autism, rewiring the brain like that might be like replacing a person's heart with a diesel engine.
(Unless I'm being dramatic with my comparison?)

I wouldn't mind just having my stims, clumsiness, lack of expression, and awkward body language removed for a week.

Without the body language, facial expressions and tone of voice, it's really hard to decipher meaning. I kind of imagine that's what it's like being Aspie, but all the time. Am I wrong?

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for me.

I wouldn't mind just having my stims, clumsiness, lack of expression, and awkward body language removed for a week.
But that's what makes you unique. You shouldn't want to remove those things. I sat near a girl today outside a café who visibly stimmed and she was having a real hard time ordering a coffee from the waitress. She looked really stressed out and I felt bad for her so I wrote her a note on a napkin that said, "You have really cool hair."
For the record, she had an uber cool short hairstyle with cool twisted bits and hairclips. Must have taken her ages to do.

Perhaps there are other aspie traits that @jamesaldrin does like that he does not want rid of and these are just the few that he would.

Well I was just trying to remove some things I'd rather not have without removing the parts that are a part of my personality as @Aurellia said.

And I don't think that you are hopeless! In regards to your username.

Edit: @Hopeless_Aspie_Guy @Aurellia I take back what I said about removing my quirks. I embraced my quirks today and everyone was a lot happier around me and I got a very cute girl's number

Last edited:
And I don't think that you are hopeless! In regards to your username.

Edit: @Hopeless_Aspie_Guy @Aurellia I take back what I said about removing my quirks. I embraced my quirks today and everyone was a lot happier around me and I got a very cute girl's number

And this is why my username contains the word 'hopeless'. When I first came on here I was still deluded enough to think that I either wanted a girlfriend or that I was even capable of attracting one. Now the hopelessness comes from escaping the desire :(

And this is why my username contains the word 'hopeless'. When I first came on here I was still deluded enough to think that I either wanted a girlfriend or that I was even capable of attracting one. Now the hopelessness comes from escaping the desire :(

Three years ago I always wanted to kill myself because of how incapable I was of making friends (or furthermore girlfriends). I was so alone and hopeless.

It's amazing to me that I actually have friends now and can attract girls. Like, I used to be so socially incapable.

So if I can do it then you can too. I can point you to some online resources if you'd like.

New Threads

Top Bottom