• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things that people do that really annoy you

People who constantly offer me food or drinks when I've said no.
I turn down a drink, or ask for water and then they're offering me coke, tea etc when I don't want anything or just want water. :(
At my wedding everyone was offering me a drink and I kept trying to turn them down and I think they were getting offended..

I don't want anything. Why must people keep offering me something once I've said no?
I had several relatives (notably my mother)who got me totally drunk on my does night, despite me telling me them I was getting too drunk and I only wanted a lemon squash. So they bought me a lemon and vodka instead, I was chucking for about 8 hours straight. Yeah, no means no people.

I had several relatives (notably my mother)who got me totally drunk on my does night, despite me telling me them I was getting too drunk and I only wanted a lemon squash. So they bought me a lemon and vodka instead, I was chucking for about 8 hours straight. Yeah, no means no people.
That was not cool, that thing they did.
Don't people realize, drunkeness can be physically dangerous? It's one thing for a person to decide on their own that they want to get drunk, but there seems an added danger (and simple wrong-ness) in forcing drunkeness on someone who doesn't want to go any further in that direction.

When I was a freshman in college, I went to a party thrown by certain members of the marching band. I kept telling people I DON'T DRINK! The final straw came when someone spiked my bottle of soda pop. The person who handed me that bottle had said bottle stuffed down their throat. That was the last time I was ever invited to a party.

The kind of person that picks things purely on style rather than substance. I don't know why it annoys me.. but it does - I think it weakens our consumer power to vote with our feet when a poor (but pretty) product is made.

When they blame everything (my thoughts and emotions mostly) on my autism as to discredit them.

When people talk loudly or make unnecessary loud sounds.

When people don't speak their mind or talk behind others backs.

When people take credit for something that is not theirs.

When people believe they have the right to tell others how they should live their lives.

etc...

I am not a people person really so I have many pet peeves when it comes to others.

Here's something silly...I went to that link you posted and I was immediately turned off by the triple repetition of the following paragraph:

"When a child with autism copies the actions of an adult, he or she is likely to omit anything "silly" about what they've just seen. In contrast, typically developing children will go out of their way to repeat each and every element of the behavior even as they may realize that parts of it don't make any sense."

I can't stand that type of thing! LOL!

Sounds like a story I read about a woman who always cut off both ends of the meatloaf before putting it in the stove. She was asked why, and said she couldn't tell, just that her mother had always cut off both ends of the meatloaf before putting it in the oven. Her mother was asked why, and she gave the exact same answer. So they found the grandmother and asked her, and she said she'd always done that because her oven was too small for a whole meatloaf. Her daughter and granddaghter both had big ovens, so they wouldn't have had to do it.

People smoking in the same room as their kids. Just lighting up without asking the other people in the room whether they mind, smoking in public places full stop. People should go outside to smoke, not impose it on others. I don't get why people start smoking in the first place, it makes no sense whatsoever, neither financially nor in terms of health risks.

People smoking in the same room as their kids. Just lighting up without asking the other people in the room whether they mind, smoking in public places full stop. People should go outside to smoke, not impose it on others. I don't get why people start smoking in the first place, it makes no sense whatsoever, neither financially nor in terms of health risks.

And what I really don't understand is why musicians smoke, especially wind instrument players and vocalists. The only excuse, if you want to call it that, is that smoking increases their lung capacity. Really? Increased lung capacity doesn't sound like a good reason for smoking, especially when one contracts emphysema and starts coughing up a lung.

And what I really don't understand is why musicians smoke, especially wind instrument players and vocalists. The only excuse, if you want to call it that, is that smoking increases their lung capacity. Really? Increased lung capacity doesn't sound like a good reason for smoking, especially when one contracts emphysema and starts coughing up a lung.

Beth Gibbons of Portishead smokes while she sings and she has one of the most amazing voices ever.

This is one of my pet peeves, too. I especially hate it when it is raining and I must stand in the bus shelter, and someone else comes into the shelter and lights a cigarette. I am forced to open up my umbrella and stand in the rain. How can they be so inconsiderate?

I hate it when people presume that I'm a hippie when I say that I like the 60s, even though I clearly don't dress like one. I'm not a hippie, I'm a Mod. Mods and hippies are different.

"Everyone is on the Autistic spectrum." or "Everyone is a little Autistic." - Way to dismiss an entire peoples life experience and toss it under the bus.

(I'm American FYI) Speaking in terrible, and frankly, racist accents. Followed up with getting upset that other people won't join in on their racist parade. I'd rather be 'no fun', than an unbearable ass.

People who make a big deal about their ancestor being from another country. Followed by being pissy when a person actually from said country doesn't give two shits and is slightly offended.

"Everyone is on the Autistic spectrum." or "Everyone is a little Autistic." - Way to dismiss an entire peoples life experience and toss it under the bus.

(I'm American FYI) Speaking in terrible, and frankly, racist accents. Followed up with getting upset that other people won't join in on their racist parade. I'd rather be 'no fun', than an unbearable ass.

People who make a big deal about their ancestor being from another country. Followed by being pissy when a person actually from said country doesn't give two shits and is slightly offended.

Well gee we wouldn't get along.:p Apart from absorbing accents of people around me, I'm fascinated by race, culture, and genetics!:cool:

Well gee we wouldn't get along.:p Apart from absorbing accents of people around me, I'm fascinated by race, culture, and genetics!:cool:

You misunderstand me. I was thinking more along the lines of St. Patrick's Day and Octoberfest, where Americans tend to commandeer other peoples cultures and celebrate rude stereotypes. Like during St. Pat's, a lot of them will start talking in an over exaggerated "Irish accent" about things they think is "Irish-like", such as leprechauns. It's not absorbing the accent, because they wouldn't dare do it in front of an actual Irish person. They know it's rude and racist, but they do it anyways.

I find other cultures fascinating as well, but that's the thing, it's another culture. It's not my culture and I shouldn't act like it is. You can appreciate a culture and a country without making it about you. It's disrespectful to those who were actually raised in it and belong to it.

You misunderstand me. I was thinking more along the lines of St. Patrick's Day and Octoberfest, where Americans tend to commandeer other peoples cultures and celebrate rude stereotypes. Like during St. Pat's, a lot of them will start talking in an over exaggerated "Irish accent" about things they think is "Irish-like", such as leprechauns. It's not absorbing the accent, because they wouldn't dare do it in front of an actual Irish person. They know it's rude and racist, but they do it anyways.

I find other cultures fascinating as well, but that's the thing, it's another culture. It's not my culture and I shouldn't act like it is. You can appreciate a culture and a country without making it about you. It's disrespectful to those who were actually raised in it and belong to it.

Even the Irish celebrate St. Patrick's Day. I'm Irish on both sides of my family. I like that. I'm also part Native American. I like that too. But I agree, in that I don't like stereotypes either. Of course that doesn't stop stereotypes from being pervasive in our culture.

Right now my greatest concern over stereotypes would be how the media portrays people on the spectrum of autism.

Last edited:
A lot of stupid things people do don't really bother me. Like if they babble on for awhile about meaningless-to-me topic, or follow sports. While I don't share their interest, or know what to say most of the time, as long as it does not go on too long, I can zone out and let is slid by. I have my peculiar interests and habits also, they have theirs. I'm kind of unflappable in some ways.

But one thing that drives me nuts is people who say they do not believe reality exists. "Reality is what you decide it is" or," You create your own reality." etc. And they are not just talking about 'attitude' - seeing the glass as half-full or half-empty. They really argue that everything is just made up and a story like all the other stories. They are often people who then get on their smart-phone or into their car as if they just created it as their own reality, not that it was built by the slow process of science which is forever testing the limits of measurable reality. Generally, they are people who seem incapable of understanding scientific method. Maybe they are just messing with my head.

ahhh[sign of relief], im enjoying reading this thread so much, all the stuff that drove me crazy for years and everyone around looked at me like I was the crazy one for pointing it out, :D. It's so much nicier here in AC than IRL.

Can't stand people walking slower than snails in front of me when i'm in a hurry and there's no way of going around. When people walk right behind me, especially while i'm sitting down.

New Threads

Top Bottom