• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What fictional programs about relationships do you like?

Gerald Wilgus

V.I.P Member
While I know in storytelling that one emphasizes things to perhaps exaggerate conflict and outcomes, I remain fascinated with programs that highlight relationships, trying to fathom what is going on as well as understanding the characters and their actions. While never a guide for life, I enjoy some of it.

Recently, while exercising on my bike trainer, I've been watching Midnight Diner, Tokyo Stories. Not only do I enjoy the gentle, quirky, humor, like much of Japanese slice of life fiction, I enjoy seeing the humanizing interplay of people struggling with connection and relationship. It makes me feel good that despite life's difficulties the show makes it clear that in a demanding world we ultimately have each other.

Does anybody enjoy fictional programs like that? Your favorite?

I'm binge watching Silent Witness at the moment. The relationships on that can be fun and quirky, sometimes a bit odd or emotional in a tiresome way, and I tend to look away when they are dealing with corpses. They're pathologists. But the corpses in it will be mock ups anyway.

I used to like Glee, that had a lot about relating in it, and I often enjoy films that focus on relationships and relating rather than pure action films. I guess having studied relationships and relevant research in that area I tend to want to see underlying psychological material being portrayed that is reasonably accurate or believeable. I like to see humour in relating too.

I mostly watch Sci-Fi and Zombie movies so relationships usually aren't very developed. Boy meets brain sort of thing.

But I have seen/read a few other things over time and one that comes to mind is the Frog and Toad stories. Something about them reasonated with me. Part was the charming simplicity but at the same time 'realness' of the situations. And maybe part was it was about different types being friends and what issues that raises.

Frog-and-Toad-illustratio-007.jpg

First show that comes to my mind is This Is Us, which I dismissed at first but was pretty much hooked after the first episode. I like the way they tell the stories in broken up pieces and through different characters, connecting the past characters to present. Also how they connect seemingly unrelated characters, relationships and events. I like that the show has it all, humor, tragedy, hope, complex relationships and meaning and that you can easily find things to personally relate to. This is one of my favorite scenes which pretty much summarizes the central theme of the show.

First show that comes to my mind is This Is Us, which I dismissed at first but was pretty much hooked after the first episode. I like the way they tell the stories in broken up pieces and through different characters, connecting the past characters to present. Also how they connect seemingly unrelated characters, relationships and events. I like that the show has it all, humor, tragedy, hope, complex relationships and meaning and that you can easily find things to personally relate to. This is one of my favorite scenes which pretty much summarizes the central theme of the show.
I am not spiritual, but I like that idea of us being touched by the continuity of life. It is also why I enjoy the celebration of remembrance that is Dia de los Muertos and the idea that the remembered live on in our memories.

Well anime is one. But, for relationships I like the battle harden women who find love with men who help them work threw their emotional scars and tramas.

Paranormal Romance Novels are a favorite. But, only the ones involving werewolves.

The Dresden Files books have some interesting relationships. Still upset about the endings to some of them.

Peep Show

The POV filming style with the inner monologues of the 2 main characters is ingenius - they rarely say what's on their mind. It's works well with how socially awkward and inept they both are.

Ed

I do not at all understand real relationships.

Needless to say, not particularly familiar with shows that have any focus on the subject.

I mean seriously, it may as well be an alien language.

It's on Netflix. Also the More4 website which is our Channel 4 in UK and it's a free streaming service. Could probably be bypassed with a VPN if needs be to change country if it's region logged.

Another alternative is a site called bflix.watch. So long as you got ad blocker etc. then it's an easy site to use. Never encountered dead links.

Peep Show is a cult classic in the UK, and for good reason. It's incredibly well written.

Ed

That's the first one that came to my mind, too. There is conflict, but I like that they actually reconcile and come together. I think most of the relationships in the show are very healthy relationships.

But I have seen/read a few other things over time and one that comes to mind is the Frog and Toad stories. Something about them reasonated with me.

I appreciate that Frog and Toad both underwent a great deal of person change as they grew from eggs to tadpoles to adults.

Oddly enough, the first most recent thing that comes to mind was not fiction at all, but could have sold just as well as one of those stories that was too preposterous to be real. But it was...:eek:

A television dramatization of multiple dysfunctional relationships involving President Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinsky and First Lady Hillary Clinton. With perhaps the most complex and tragic person being Linda Tripp, a vindictive narcissist who seemed to have issues with just about everyone.

Almost as tragic was Monica Lewinsky's inability to pull herself away from a known serial womanizer (Bill Clinton). And whatever the "marriage" between Bill and Hillary Clinton actually meant to each other.

Reflecting that even the most real of human relationships can be real trainwrecks. Something some of us know sadly rather well, starting with myself. :oops:

- Impeachment: American Crime Story (FX)

Last edited:
Oddly enough, the first most recent thing that comes to mind was not fiction at all, but could have sold just as well as one of those stories that was too preposterous to be real. But it was...:eek:

A television dramatization of multiple dysfunctional relationships involving President Bill Clinton, Monica Lewinsky and First Lady Hillary Clinton. With perhaps the most complex and tragic person being Linda Tripp, a vindictive narcissist who seemed to have issue with just about everyone.

Almost as tragic was Monica Lewinsky's inability to pull herself away from a known serial womanizer (Bill Clinton). And whatever the "marriage" between Bill and Hillary Clinton actually meant to each other.

Reflecting that even the most real of human relationships can be real trainwrecks. Something some of us know sadly rather well, starting with myself. :oops:

- Impeachment: American Crime Story (FX)
I watched that series and the dysfunction was creepy. Nobody came out of that well, and it makes me question those who seek political power.

Love the Sopranos because l actually go thru a roller coaster of emotions and l stress and then realise it's on TV, l am not personally involved. Some scenes and l am suddenly holding my breath.

New Threads

Top Bottom