• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensitive Topic What do you think about those who want to "cure" us?

I'm ranting on about things I don't even know that much about, maybe it's time to end this.

No, don't ever end it, keep on 'ranting'. We all need to become more aware of what these monsters, these sociopaths who like to think of themselves as being 'normal', would like to do to those of us who are not as they are if they ever had the chance to.

No, don't ever end it, keep on 'ranting'. We all need to become more aware of what these monsters, these sociopaths who like to think of themselves as being 'normal', would like to do to those of us who are not as they are if they ever had the chance to.

Why should we not be allowed to rant anyways? Why would someone want to tell us to stop ranting, to put an end to it? That is the only way we can let go of the frustrations that come along with being an Aspie. It is the real monsters who want to stop us from talking out loud as if they want to forbid us the voice we have. Ranting only happens when we get confronted by these sociopaths. That is the only time I rant. I will not put an end to my right to voice my opinion.

Why should we not be allowed to rant anyways? Why would someone want to tell us to stop ranting, to put an end to it? That is the only way we can let go of the frustrations that come along with being an Aspie. It is the real monsters who want to stop us from talking out loud as if they want to forbid us the voice we have. Ranting only happens when we get confronted by these sociopaths. That is the only time I rant. I will not put an end to my right to voice my opinion.

Just got to say, it is great talking to other Aspies, just amazing when one can talk to people who have the same conditions in their lives, it is so refreshing to hear from friends in this group. I will always visit this group.

I wonder if research were to ever reveal we aren't the ones with any kind of disorder if they would actually release that information or bury it... Sorry to get all conspiracy theorish but I've found most people don't like to reveal information that isn't in their own best interests...

I wonder if research were to ever reveal we aren't the ones with any kind of disorder if they would actually release that information or bury it... Sorry to get all conspiracy theorish but I've found most people don't like to reveal information that isn't in their own best interests...

I'm totally with you. While I'm in favor of a VOLUNTARY cure for myself, My upsides of Autism are outweighed by my communication barriers & insomnia. These have further health complications. My Upsides are nothing more than a source of frustration to me. I don't think a cure is on the horizon though.

Meanwhile, Autism Speaks is utterly committed to the Negatives, from its fundraising onwards. It does not want to know about the positive aspects of our condition and it only interested in making us Ape NT behaviors while terrorizing NT people.

The Judge Rottenburg Centre, words can't adequately express my rage. That concentration camp should be shut down by force. I'm only divided on if we should allow the prisoners to torture the staff, the management, shareholders & legislature that authorized it. I have great difficulty comprehending the veneer of legality that place has & why its existence can't be challenged.

I don' think research can reveal it because the question of what is a "disorder" has to do with what is valued. Research is interpreted according to what is valued, but research can't tell people what they should value.

I would like to seek a cure for the non-verbal spectrum riders. They may see things we don't. With a lack of "normal" communication we may never know what they are thinking, An interesting take on this is the autistic girl who communicates through her computer who said what she did while interacting with objects.

Go over the lists of suspected and confirmed AS people and decide if you really want a cure for them. I don't want cured.
The world would be at a loss without the thinkers and dreamers with high functioning autism who make wonderful things happen.

It would be great if there were a better pharmaceutical solution for anxiety than the ones currently available. The two most commonly prescribed medications for anxiety are the SSRIs and the benzodiazepines. Both are problematic.

I am fine with being an aspie but I could definitely do without the anxiety.

I would like to seek a cure for the non-verbal spectrum riders. They may see things we don't. With a lack of "normal" communication we may never know what they are thinking, An interesting take on this is the autistic girl who communicates through her computer who said what she did while interacting with objects.

Go over the lists of suspected and confirmed AS people and decide if you really want a cure for them. I don't want cured.
The world would be at a loss without the thinkers and dreamers with high functioning autism who make wonderful things happen.
Maybe what you mean is that it would be nice to have a cure for the non-verbal aspect of the non verbal persons, as long as they would still retain the other aspects of their possible unique ways of seeing the world.

Maybe what you mean is that it would be nice to have a cure for the non-verbal aspect of the non verbal persons, as long as they would still retain the other aspects of their possible unique ways of seeing the world.
exactly with my lack of proper words

There might be some very special knowledge that we don't understand in our place in the spectrum.

Why cure it? I think autism is evolution. Everyone even remotely far on the spectrum has their brain fine tuned, taking from the usually petty, worthless social aspects of life (I'm not saying being social is completely worthless, but people spend far too much time with it, while we tend to just "cut the crap") and building in areas that would help them especially in some particular talent or talents. The idea is to find that talent. The problem is with this world and everyone else who is in the social stone age. This world is molded for them, not us. This world is modeled for people who get offended by words just because they are words and not because of the rationale they lack. I'm not saying it should be all about us, but why is it always us who have to bend for the NT's? Why can't they bend for us? Because we are the minority. Society should at least give us some fairness. Reflect the reality of neuro-diversity.

I'm all for a cure, personally.

I'd jump at the chance.

I often feel the same way, but... if being this way ever could be 'cured' (and I have my doubts about this possibility), what kind of people would we then become?

Sure, it would be fantastic to be confident in social situations, to be able to 'read' others, and to understand the baffling reliance that the majority place upon what they term non-verbal communication. It would also be great to have a steady career (my A.S. has effectively sabotaged that), but when, for example, I see how evasive the NT majority are when it comes to important issues that happen to be difficult to deal with (ex. death), then I have to say, 'No way', because I just cannot imagine ever being the type of person who sincerely believes that the best way to deal with something is to ignore it. That's just not me.

I see how evasive the NT majority are when it comes to important issues that happen to be difficult to deal with (ex. death), then I have to say, 'No way', because I just cannot imagine ever being the type of person who sincerely believes that the best way to deal with something is to ignore it. That's just not me.

amen to all of this. most NT's can't handle the harsh aspie world. it's not even a separate world, it's just reality. NT's are the ones living the fantasy. i for one prefer to be blunt about the harshness of life. why cover it up? gotta take the good with the bad.

I think if there ever WAS a cure, I would be really worried about what type of person I would wind up becoming after taking it.
Sure, my struggles with life's problems would not be as severe, probably, but I think that my friends and family would be really worried because I would be a completely different person that they didn't know anymore. Gone would be the quirks that were part of my personality. So for that reason, I guess I'll rather stay with being me. :)

Maybe I'm in the minority but I would love to be "cured" if it was possible. I really don't like being ASD. I feel like it is not a good thing for the most part. Yes I have gifts and talents like the rest of the world but I think I would be better off not having it.

How about instead of trying to cure them, someone reaches out to find a way to communicate with them?

Sparticus: "otter disgust for societal leeches" … I LOVE IT!!! Can I borrow that sometimes?

Regarding everything else on this thread: imagine how boring life would be if everyone was the same?

Having Aspergers isn't the disability and it doesn't require medication or a cure (my opinion). The disabling aspect all stems from intolerance, oppression, harassment, bullying, & persecution from narrow-minded people in power & authority. I wouldn't need antidepressants or anti-anxiety meds if I was recognized as an equal human being.

Everything I've been told to do … worthless free advice like "be more positive", "forget the past & move forward", "don't let it bother you", "try to be more social", and medical directives like therapy & medication … all they've ever done is make life more comfortable for the person giving the advice. None of that has ever helped me, and in fact doing as I was told has done me unbelievable harm & robbed me of my life … my livelihood … my ability to contribute to society … my self-worth … and any chance of having a good human relationship. But if you listen to them, it's all my own fault because I must not be doing it right. They continue to abuse us & take no responsibility for their actions.

Tell me again why I should want to be like them?

New Threads

Top Bottom