• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Undiagnosed in Norway. What do you think?

Sir Stig

I call myself Sir Stig, and I am 38 years. Edit: I always get into a long rant when I try to explain, even the simplest things. For those that get overwhelmed by the length of this post, you can stop after this sentence: Hi, I'm new on this forum.

I was sent to a speech therapist when I started in kindergarten, because the staff noticed that I did not speak as well as other children. I don't know how well I socialized with them. I liked to draw. And math, when I started school.

I never learned how to swim properly. I can do the dog crawl if it not too far away from the edge of a pool. I can probably do breast strokes for a short distance if it is a matter of life or death. I had private swimming lessons with our main teacher as a child. I got to bring one friend along, that wanted to skip class without remarks, so I made some friends. It was okay I guess.

Three blankets and a stool on top of me in order to sleep. Nowadays it is okay to sleep in just a tucked in Lazarus position. Some times I can even sleep without it. As long as my legs are not in a cranky mood (restless legs and some sleep apnea. Going to sleep center in december to get it diagnosed).

If I got disturbed reading comics or watching a movie, I always had to start from the beginning. Even if it was only seconds left. I still have problems with it. I can manage some disturbances, but it takes a lot of effort. A lot.

I was stimming, used nonsense phrases and squeezed into tight places to calm down. I don't do that much anymore. I have learned how to behave normal. I am wondering if reducing these coping mechanisms have had a negative impact on my pain experience.

Taste (and texture), smells and sounds seem to activate me more than my friends. And my skin is very sensitive to many things.

I can mention a thousand more things that I struggle with, that I never realized was out of the "norm".

And I am just realizing everything that have always been there, as I am learning more about aspergers. I have always struggled (with people, with norms in the society), but figured everyone did. I thought I was just awkward, or shy, or that my weirdness was a part of my personality. I've been working as a bartender for a good 12 years. I have had a few girlfriends. I am 38 years, and have several interests.

So, why did I start to learn about autism/aspergers/neuroatypical? I don't know what term to use, since I meet a lot of misconceptions and stereotypical prejudices about the condition, so it is hard to try and explain why the condition is relevant for me. Hey, I was full of it as well. Maybe I still am?

Here is why:
-I had a seizure in 2004, waking up in the hospital after a day and a half. Didn't ask questions, but they said I did not have epilepsy. The same sensation repeated when I got my first (AND ONLY!!!) tattoo in 2016. The needle started and the pounding was in my head and in my bones. I tried to listen to music and just endure, but before I knew it the tattooist across me held my head, and the one that worked on my tattoo kept me from sliding off the chair. They told me I shook in convultions/cramp (right word?) and had passed out. I managed to finish the tattoo over several session and breaks every few minutes. In my mind it is my greatest accomplishment, and I have proof that I made it through :)
-I got a back injury at work. Never recovered. (I have a long side story to this: insurance company/union, Tax office, etc...).
-Entered goldsmith school, and got a degree thanks to an understanding teacher and the flexibility of the school, giving me extra time (I had a lot going on an the time, dumped by my exgirlfriend, economy). After finishing I researched how to start a business, attended every free course I could find, and a few paid for. When I presented my plans for the welfare office, they noticed that medical records had not been updated. I visited my doctor several times, but they sent in new medical status to late. As a result I was cut of sick leave (I don't know the correct english term). Two years of food coupons and court battles ensued, that I had to do myself, since I could not afford a lawyer. I had to appeal all the way up to the last instance (Trygderetten in norwegian). That sapped the last bit of drive out of me, but they agreed that I could not be held accountable for the things that I was not resposible for and had no control over. But by that time I had already slipped into paranoia trying to figure out the parameters of what I had to know in order to not get a slap on the wrists from the system, so to speak. My Crohns got worse. There is much more.
-Had work practice on several different places, but got nervous breakdown as I phrased it at the time. 10 years have passed since I got the back injury, and the more I try to get back to a regular job, the more my body protests. The pain is unbearable, and I have considered ending it all, on the verge of following through a handful of times. In that process I have found out that the survival instinct is stronger than me. Undecided if that is a good thing or not.
-The black dog, depression have been a steadfast companion since early youth, but I decided to get help coping with it.
-My shrink said she did not figure me out (5 years of treatment), and upon asking her supervisor, he said "He has aspergers". My shrink disagrees, her opinion is that it is a cognitive failure and personality disorder.
-I read about autism and aspergers, and wow, it blew my mind. This is the explanation for almost all of my problems. Checklists and online tests concurred. Well within the autism spectrum.
-I was sent to a neuro-psychologist. He used over 4 hours on me with the Wais IV test. I heard that is longer than it usually takes. I score very high on numbers, the figure reasoning part (except "the easiest one"), but language was hard. He said I got lost in my own way of thinking. Spot on.
-The following articles was the final straw, that made me sign up on this forum (after a tip from a woman I know a little, that are passionate about letting people know there is more to autism than meets the eye):
Autscriptic: Mild Autism
Performing Pain: Autism
Re-thinking things through an Autistic filter

I am an Aspie, if I get a diagnose or not. My shrink should have received the report from the neuro-psychologist before our next appointment (friday 12 oct). I hope she see will be able to absorb the report, see things in a new light, and start listening to what I have been trying to say the last 5-10 years, or my whole life.

I get restless out of my mind while I am waiting to know if my answer key gets adopted into the curriculum of my life. It is not a lack of trying that I am not functioning any more. I have functioned for a while because I have exploited my grit and defied my natural responses. But the cost have become too high. I am weary. Let me rest. Maybe some day I will find more strength, and in the right setting, I may be able to work again.

What do you think? Am I atypical or a typical neuro?

Hi Sir Stig

welcome to af.png

I'm sure there will be others who can offer you their opinions, but please keep in mind that none of us are experts in these matters.

Hi Sir Stig
As you spend time here I think you will find many people with experiences similar to yours. As Nitro said above, we are not experts, but there is great comfort and strength in sharing.

Yeah, I'm going to dismiss any view that does not align with my own anyway ;)

It is just overwhelming to see EVERYTHING anew o_O Phew!

My frequency are getting more lively the closer I get to a conclusion. Do I get to see my whole life in what feels like the right perspective, or am I just seriously insane. That's where I am now. Thanks for reading.

@Sir Stig, the "long rant" thing isn't just you, I do it as well, problem is mine tend to be long swear word filled rants, so I keep them off site on my Blog (and no, I don't swear on my Blog on here)

Welcome, @Sir Stig! :)
I was stimming, used nonsense phrases and squeezed into tight places to calm down. I don't do that much anymore. I have learned how to behave normal. I am wondering if reducing these coping mechanisms have had a negative impact on my pain experience.
Would you like to elaborate on this?
It's an interesting thought and I can see that this might be a possibility in a way.
My guess is that stimming can help one to calm down and deal with sensory input and overload. Pain is a sensory input of some sort, so it makes sense that stimming could help in this case as well to some extent.
Is this your experience?

-The following articles was the final straw, that made me sign up on this forum (after a tip from a woman I know a little, that are passionate about letting people know there is more to autism than meets the eye):
Autscriptic: Mild Autism
Performing Pain: Autism
Re-thinking things through an Autistic filter
Thank you for sharing the links. The articles were interesting to read.

Would you like to elaborate on this?
...(snip)...
Is this your experience?
Sure, thank you for your interest.

What I think of when I say stimming is (Unsure if I use the term right, but this is what I do):
-a rubbing/twisting motion of the fingers
-the vibration when I clap my hands rapidly. I think I also used to clap my face, when I was very young.
-restless legs (I am often unable to stop them)
There are probably more things, but these are the ones I have noticed outside the norm, and that I also am able to recognize as some kind of tension release (work in progress on that theory).

Once a week I go to psychomotorical Physiotherapy/physician? (Don't know the english word for it, but it is a specialization towards the brain and nerve system works with signals. Maybe it's called neuro-physician). We have mapped a lot of how my body reacts, but he does not know much about ASD. I wonder if his notes about me would make sense for a neuro-shrink in an ASD perspective?

The chronic pains in my body are most intense close to where the muscle joints, and I feel they tense up by themselves over time. It may be that I tense up because of all the sensory input I get in therapies, and life in general. I wonder if the energy that tenses up get some kind of release if I don't stop the impulse...

Yeah, I'm going to dismiss any view that does not align with my own anyway ;)

It is just overwhelming to see EVERYTHING anew o_O Phew!

My frequency are getting more lively the closer I get to a conclusion. Do I get to see my whole life in what feels like the right perspective, or am I just seriously insane. That's where I am now. Thanks for reading.
Hiya Sir Stig.
I don't think you are crazy. I think if you recognise yourself in your research then your self - diagnosis is valid. Enjoy learning about yourself and being who you really are. I wish you a good journey.

I am so moved by almost everything I read here. I have been watching Jaiden Animations on youtube. Does she have ASD? In that case, the case is closed. I have experienced many of the exact same conundrums, and reacted in the same way she describes in the videos I've seen. I have read so many blogs and forum posts that describe ME. And the Chat. So many that thinks like me. It so overwhelming that I start to wonder if I have my own personality. (I have to pat myself on the shoulder (GENTLY!) for my self portrait avatar).

I have gone so long, losing the contact with the beauty inside of me, and in the world. I have built my mask tough, thinking if I were as mean as other people, I'll be alright. That's just how the world works. I was wrong. I became the mask...

It feels like I have come home. To my real home. Now I am crying. It's a relief. I haven't cried for some time. I hope crying does not disqualify for a diagnosis. *Thoughts spinning, back and forth, back and forth. OMG! All the scenarios!!! I think I am going to pass out tonight.

I have read so many blogs and forum posts that describe ME. And the Chat. So many that thinks like me. It so overwhelming that I start to wonder if I have my own personality.
I often felt like this as well when I found out about Asperger's syndrome for the first time and started to read a lot about it.
There's also the saying "If you have met one Aspie, then you have met ONE Aspie." though, meaning that you can't generalize everything and that everyone is still different in one way or another and of course also has their own personality.
I think it can just be overwhelming to re-examine one's personality from this new point of view and figure everything out. It will probably take some time.
I hope crying does not disqualify for a diagnosis. *Thoughts spinning, back and forth, back and forth. OMG! All the scenarios!!! I think I am going to pass out tonight.
I don't think that crying disqualifies one for a diagnosis.

I'm not sure if this is helpful, but here are some threads about crying I found on the forum:
crying
https://www.autismforums.com/threads/can-you-cry-how-easily-do-you-cry.23084/
What makes you cry?
Do you ever cry?
Asperger's & crying.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom