• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Traveler Beer and Employment

How is being informed of the rules a punishment?
It seems to me that being aware would be helpful.

Informing him of the rules is one thing, but it seemed to me that calling a mod like he did served no purpose but to antagonize, whether he meant it like that or not. Remaining civil when confronted is the sure mark of a better man, I simply wanted him to retain his composure while dealing with the issue. I didn't mean to offend or nitpick. My apologies if it came off that way.

Informing him of the rules is one thing, but it seemed to me that calling a mod like he did served no purpose but to antagonize, whether he meant it like that or not. Remaining civil when confronted is the sure mark of a better man, I simply wanted him to retain his composure while dealing with the issue. I didn't mean to offend or nitpick. My apologies if it came off that way.

I have a thick skin. I knew what you were driving at. My intention though was NOT to antagonize. I thought that there was some automated process that would see a keyword and trigger a response. I accept your apology. :)

To be honest, I'm not certain if there is or isn't myself, but it's better to avoid the aforementioned issue by PMing a mod. Thank you for understanding :)

I spent most of my working life in self employment alongside of "gainful" employment.

It is a lot of work as you often give up on working a 40 hour week for often twice the hours or more. The upside of it is that you get to call all the shots. The downside of it is that everyone you do business with becomes your boss.

I used most of my special interests as a means of employment at some point in time. I tend to agree that I was at my best mentally when I worked for myself,but also reflect on the strains when things went haywire.

My talents were exploited by many along the pathway,but the fires that got out of control were extinguished quickly and I moved along,often wooed with more money and a better position by the competition.I always had my own gig going on to rely on for finances. The side gigs paid the way for some of my interests,and many times became my sole income.

Business is funny at times,being feast or times of famine with often little control over the market you enter. It is also important to understand that you will make mistakes along the way but are only an ongoing process of your education. People that claim they never make mistakes probably aren't doing anything to begin with :D

Choose a product or service that many want,but always leave yourself with a plan B to rely on when times get tough. I strongly recommend you keep some employment field open even after you go all in as it were.

I spent most of my working life in self employment alongside of "gainful" employment.

It is a lot of work as you often give up on working a 40 hour week for often twice the hours or more. The upside of it is that you get to call all the shots. The downside of it is that everyone you do business with becomes your boss.

I used most of my special interests as a means of employment at some point in time. I tend to agree that I was at my best mentally when I worked for myself,but also reflect on the strains when things went haywire.

My talents were exploited by many along the pathway,but the fires that got out of control were extinguished quickly and I moved along,often wooed with more money and a better position by the competition.I always had my own gig going on to rely on for finances. The side gigs paid the way for some of my interests,and many times became my sole income.

Business is funny at times,being feast or times of famine with often little control over the market you enter. It is also important to understand that you will make mistakes along the way but are only an ongoing process of your education. People that claim they never make mistakes probably aren't doing anything to begin with :D

Choose a product or service that many want,but always leave yourself with a plan B to rely on when times get tough. I strongly recommend you keep some employment field open even after you go all in as it were.
Nitro, that is solid advice! As much as I want to walk away from the bus driving job I have now, it would be unwise. I'm planning to wade into the waters versus plunge in. I think what I will do is contract with a limo company for two days a week and reduce my schedule at the bus company to from 5 days to 4. What do you think?

Sorry to be late to the party, I'm not on my home computer, rather am on the tablet I use as an AAC device.

Thanks to the members here in this thread for retaining cool heads. :)

James Duncan, we do not address others here in a hostile manner. In future, please take that into consideration. Your comments to other members need to be respectful.

Nitro, that is solid advice! As much as I want to walk away from the bus driving job I have now, it would be unwise. I'm planning to wade into the waters versus plunge in. I think what I will do is contract with a limo company for two days a week and reduce my schedule at the bus company to from 5 days to 4. What do you think?
I like it,it sounds like a wise move on your part. The limo driver job has limited interaction with the passengers so that may ease some of your frustrations dealing with the public sector. You only have to be polite and do your job to the best of your ability for that one. Give it a shot and see if it fits ;)

I wish you all the best in anything you try.

this is some good advice for you to reflect on i think
this is some good advice for you to reflect on i think[/
Sorry to be late to the party, I'm not on my home computer, rather am on the tablet I use as an AAC device.

Thanks to the members here in this thread for retaining cool heads. :)

James Duncan, we do not address others here in a hostile manner. In future, please take that into consideration. Your comments to other members need to be respectful.
With all due respect, it seems to me that new posts from new "members" on this site are up for extra scrutiny. If an established group start to cry wolf because their precious views are confronted every one starts bleating on queue, I can not stand the established mentality of people on these forums. Back in the real real world you can't start crying for a moderator when someone does not agree with you, where is the difference between the NT's and the Aspies?. The so called triad of impairments did not include the inability to stick to an argument without being joined by bootliggers and those who must not be offended. If you think my replies nasty or immature then so be it, it will not stop me from saying bloody grow up, if you insist on exposing all of your fears in public under this veil of obnoxious cozy correctness so be it.

Not at all. You misunderstood someone's post and attacked them on their profile for it. You drew that response to you because you couldn't act like a bloody grown-up. I suggest you find ways to cope other than blaming the forum illuminati.

James Duncan, Hey Fella. You seem like an awfully angry person. I was in that kind of place once. It didn't feel good to me then. I feel for you, I really do. Anything and everything was enough to set me off. But it was my problem and something I had to get over. It's tough being on the spectrum and marginalized by people. There are some people that I would've liked to reach out to and rip out their throat.

But the bottom lines is we're here for each other. You'd be surprised at the number of people on this site who really and truly care.

We got off on the wrong foot. Let's start over. I'm Wanderer.

We do not insult members here. It is in our posting rules of conduct. Thanks for understanding. Please, let's keep this thread civil. It's a good one. Hopefully, we can keep it open.

Last edited:
I think I also the tone of the commercial gave me hope. It just goes to show that getting fired from a job does not mean that you are a professional failure or failure at life. All it means is that you've had a relatively minor setback. In some ways the undertone is, "You fired me but I'm still a success!"

It struck such a note of hope in me.

With all due respect, it seems to me that new posts from new "members" on this site are up for extra scrutiny. If an established group start to cry wolf because their precious views are confronted every one starts bleating on queue, I can not stand the established mentality of people on these forums. Back in the real real world you can't start crying for a moderator when someone does not agree with you, where is the difference between the NT's and the Aspies?. The so called triad of impairments did not include the inability to stick to an argument without being joined by bootliggers and those who must not be offended. If you think my replies nasty or immature then so be it, it will not stop me from saying bloody grow up, if you insist on exposing all of your fears in public under this veil of obnoxious cozy correctness so be it.
It has nothing to do with your newness, and everything to do with your bizzare levels of nastiness.

Back in the real world, you don't cry for a moderator, no, you fire the person if he's your employee, you end the relationship or friendship with the person, you exclude the person from your social circle, you fail to hire him if he's applying for a job... Basically, in the "real" world, that level of nastiness results in a whole lot of consequences that are far worse than the removal of a few internet posts.

Last edited:
I just watched it on YouTube. The message is powerful. I have a full-time job now, but I would seriously consider self-employment. I could choose when to work and sleep in as opposed to what I do now, getting up at 4 am to go to work. It would be challenging to start self-employment, but I'm focusing on doing what makes me happy.

I've run my own business for about 6 years, and it is great, and I'd never choose to go back, but I would do some things differenty.

1. Save up a few grand while employed. My job got that bad though I just quit.
2. Learn about sales, marketing and business strategy and models. Most people just start doing what they are good at and find themselves in an ocean full of sharks fighting for scraps. (red ocean).
3. Start with a passion or interstate or develop a passion or interest.
4. Consider forming an over seas team or real experts if it applies. No one gets great success by themselves.
5. Don't go into debt if you can avoid it.
6. Buy second hand computers, and work from home.
7. Control your costs and save money whenever you can. No extravagance.

Ok, some of those are mistakes I didn't make, but I see loads of people making.

New Threads

Top Bottom