• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Too good at my job

DHS

I know it sounds strange, but I seem to be too good at my job.
I took a permanent part time job almost 6 months ago, 6 hours a day, 5 days a week, it's a perfect balance for me, I can work flat from the moment I start until I leave a couple of hours before everyone else. In the first couple of months they knew I was good at my job, a couple of months later I was taking on a lot of extra jobs and creating extra work for myself, I don't seem to know when to hold back, but I do love a challenge. They would love me to go full time, but being part time is what keeps me from pushing myself too hard.
It was supposed to be a relatively thankless job, if I did it right nobody would notice I was there. Instead I'm supposed to be pitching a project of my own creation to the executives next week, which is a long way from where I thought this job was headed. I don't actually mind that sort of public speaking, so long as I have enough time to run through everything ahead of time, but a few pointers probably wouldn't hurt, I don't know what I don't know.
I suppose my concern is that while I love my new job, I'm worried I'm going to ruin it for myself by creating extra work along the way.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? To be honest I don't even know if I'm after advice or anything, just clearing my head.

DHS, when my aspie dad was out of work looking for a new warehouse/forklift driving job,he was continuously told by companies he was to good for the job,and had to join a temperary agency he had endless amounts of qualifications around his job,he NEVER took a sick day in all the years he worked,and even when he was some years into retirement his old job company kept phoning him up begging him to return.

i think aspies/auties can be very perfectionist about their job and are very dedicated and passionate about what they do,i would argue that companies should be looking more for us as they know they will get a good worker straight out.

They would love me to go full time, but being part time is what keeps me from pushing myself too hard.

I suppose my concern is that while I love my new job, I'm worried I'm going to ruin it for myself by creating extra work along the way.

Take the job on a full time basis. While you are concerned about the negative possibilities, it's pretty clear that you already have the ability to weigh and perceive them. Consider this as an asset to push yourself further.

In other words, IMO I suspect you are more than capable of time management and organizational skills sufficient to balance your actual abilities with whatever workload you must carry at any given time. At least that's the vibe I sense here.

I just suspect you need a very slight "push" in the right direction.

You "have the goods". Now go use them. ;)

Think it's good that people have recognized your talents at this job. Yet, they want more from you. It's probably a question of whether you are willing to give it. Quality of life is as important as working in my opinion.

Their outlook will be their bottom line, profit. And they would be willing to use you and your ideas for themselves. Think you have to decide in what way you would benefit from this, beyond the monetary rewards. Perhaps, consider why you are doing this and then weigh the pro's and con's.

If you know your boundaries then respect those boundaries for self survival.

I think you should go full time but be cognizant that this could cause a few months of additional stress as you adjust to your new routine. I have changed jobs a few times and for me, when things change I am generally an unpleasant person to be around until I can optimize my routine.

New Threads

Top Bottom