• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

This weekend is my last at my retail job...

autism-and-autotune

A musical mind with recent revelations
...because I applied and got accepted for a new job all by myself!
It's been a tumultuous month; sorry I've been gone for so long.

In my retail job, I couldn't stand only relying on one or two days per week of working due to my 'limited hours.' It seriously wasn't an issue over the spring and summer. Anyways, during those weeks of job searching, I considered getting back into substitute teaching, but am unsure now due to more cases and flu season ramping up. But anyways, I applied on a whim to my local action partners place; simple desk-job work in an office for a non-profit, community-helping organization.

I don't know if it's petty or if it just shows how attuned I am to what causes sensory overload, but a catalyst for my quitting retail is getting carts in the cold weather. To avoid freezing, I have to wear this hug bulky coat...in which I overheat quickly, which drains my spoons right quick. I hate getting all sweaty while still being freezing. That on top of the few days per week just make it not sustainable. This new job, is a guaranteed set number of hours willing to work with my not-so-flexible schedule.

During the interview, they asked one of the typical questions: "How do you manage dealing with difficult customers?" I told them that I didn't really think there was such a thing as a difficult customer; I said that maybe people are just struggling with something that we can't see or understand. This has really been something that I've learned--especially in retail, but mostly since learning of my autism.

My supervisors will most likely want to have confirmation on why I'm leaving, which I won't elaborate on. Sure, I know it's 'customary' to give two weeks notice, but I really don't care. If they can afford to schedule me one or two days a week only for the past month, then they'll manage if I quit a week 'too early.' I don't think I'll say this though.

I'm excited!! Training and orientation will begin fairly soon. If this job really works out then I'll never be in retail ever again and I'll finally not have so much stress about money.

This is a huge win. Retail can be serious heck sometimes. I only got scheduled three days on the newest schedule that dropped yesterday.. apparently it has to do with how busy the store is.. right after thanksgiving week.

This is a huge win. Retail can be serious heck sometimes. I only got scheduled three days on the newest schedule that dropped yesterday.. apparently it has to do with how busy the store is.. right after thanksgiving week.
A computer does the scheduling for everyone but management can manually edit the schedule upon an employee’s request.

Yeah, I agree with absolute heck (though some may use stronger words )

That sounds horrible! I remember that they did the same thing at one store I worked at during Christmas week. Yucko.

Oh boy oh boy so far, orientation was great. Everyone who works there is very nice, despite the fact that it's a busy work-environment. I filled out a bunch of paper-work, will be trained on my role within the coming days, and I also gave them accommodation papers with my VR counselor, which honestly seemed like no issue whatsoever. I told them that I'd rather just settle in before thinking of anything that I might need.

You know what's ALSO great?? I get a little office. All to myself. With a door and a desk and everything. While I'm super happy and a bit proud of myself (my fiance says I should be) I'm also trying not to...over-think the honeymoon phase, or question if I thought the grass was greener? Why am I being a downer on myself? Or am I trying to think realistically?

But hey, it beats pushing carts in the snow (not berating retail; the job just wasn't for me). I'll let my counselor know how my first week goes. One of the people trying to train me seemed perplexed that I'd read a bunch of stuff in an hour while everyone else just chatted or griped about their days, but...it's neither here nor there.

I'm hoping I'll learn a lot at this job! And I'm hoping that I'll keep it too for longer than, say, six or seven months :'D

New Threads

Top Bottom