• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Monster Hunter Movie is a Nightmare

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
Paul W.S. Anderson massacred my child! Yes, this is about the Monster Hunter movie! It was heckin' inaccurate as heck!

I am a Monster Hunter fan and I am triggered by the MH movie.

I was at least expecting ironic enjoyment, but, nope. It was a complete disappointment. It managed to completely fail at meeting my already very low expectations.

Watching that movie was the single worst two hours of my life. I can get more enjoyment out of crying into my pillow at in the middle of the night.

Good thing I didn't have to pay for the tickets, but my Dad did. I felt like his well-earned money was wasted.

2/10, I will never watch again. I am tempted to create, like, 10 alt emails and then review bomb it on Google reviews.

After I watched it, I had to immediately go play Monster Hunter World: Iceborne in order to mentally recover. That is how bad it was.

I honestly question why you even went to see it.

I saw only PART of the trailer... not the whole thing... and immediately was 50000% sure that it would be yet another corporate focus tested cash grab (which, hilariously, may not grab much cash). I mean, they pretty much always are.

I mean, I genuinely dont even watch movies, like, EVER, and even I am disappointed, even without seeing it. Which doesnt make any sense but it happened anyway.

As soon as I saw from the trailer that it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and starred his real life wife Milla Jovovich, I immediately pulled away from it as straight away got Resident Evil movie vibes - which isn't something I'd call a positive.

When it comes to video game movies, making a good or even decent adaptation can be downright elusive, especially as you've got to make it entertaining and give your audience a new experience - all the while balancing on that thin line between been not faithful enough to your source material (so that it alienates your original audience) to been too faithful so that casual moviegoers can't get into it.
In recent years, I'd say with something like Sonic the Hedgehog arguably been an example of how to achieve a decent balance. Heck, YouTuber Filmento did a comparison between Sonic the Hedgehog and three other less-successful video game movies (Warcraft, Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider) to show how there is a way to do it that both sides can enjoy. I'd recommend you watch it if you get chance, although I can't post it here as a few swear words are dropped in.

The problem with Anderson when it comes to video game movies is I honestly feel like he doesn't give a damn; the story of the property he's adapting is treated like guidelines and a background setting rather than a story to faithfully adapt - with the film using a more generic plotline and whatever original character role that Milla is playing is given the main priority as her character is made to look as amazing as possible.
The problem is this gets to the point where she arguably slides into 'Mary Sue' territory; something which happened with her Resident Evil character Alice - another original character who was never in any of the games.

It's a real shame because Anderson can produce some decent stuff - I enjoyed elements of the first Alien vs. Predator film and Event Horizon is a decent sci-fi horror film. When it comes to stuff like this, however, he really doesn't do the source material justice for anyone.

Last edited:
I've never played Monster Hunter. In fact, I'm so unfamiliar with it that I just now realized I've been confusing it with Monster Rancher for the past decade or so.

Still, I'm very wary of game-based movies, and wouldn't have watched it unless I were a huge fan.

I saw only PART of the trailer... not the whole thing... and immediately was 50000% sure that it would be yet another corporate focus tested cash grab (which, hilariously, may not grab much cash). I mean, they pretty much always are.

I mean, I genuinely dont even watch movies, like, EVER, and even I am disappointed, even without seeing it. Which doesnt make any sense but it happened anyway.

Most times the trailer reveals to much of the movie. I weigh the experience now. Of seeing in theaters vs at home or on YouTube.

As soon as I saw from the trailer that it was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson and starred his real life wife Milla Jovovich, I immediately pulled away from it as straight away got Resident Evil movie vibes - which isn't something I'd call a positive.

When it comes to video game movies, making a good or even decent adaptation can be downright elusive, especially as you've got to make it entertaining and give your audience a new experience - all the while balancing on that thin line between been not faithful enough to your source material (so that it alienates your original audience) to been too faithful so that casual moviegoers can't get into it.
In recent years, I'd say with something like Sonic the Hedgehog arguably been an example of how to achieve a decent balance. Heck, YouTuber Filmento did a comparison between Sonic the Hedgehog and three other less-successful video game movies (Warcraft, Assassin's Creed and Tomb Raider) to show how there is a way to do it that both sides can enjoy. I'd recommend you watch it if you get chance, although I can't post it here as a few swear words are dropped in.

The problem with Anderson when it comes to video game movies is I honestly feel like he doesn't give a damn; the story of the property he's adapting is treated like guidelines and a background setting rather than a story to faithfully adapt - with the film using a more generic plotline and whatever original character role that Milla is playing is given the main priority as her character is made to look as amazing as possible.
The problem is this gets to the point where she arguably slides into 'Mary Sue' territory; something which happened with her Resident Evil character Alice - another original character who was never in any of the games.

It's a real shame because Anderson can produce some decent stuff - I enjoyed elements of the first Alien vs. Predator film and Event Horizon is a decent sci-fi horror film. When it comes to stuff like this, however, he really doesn't do the source material justice for anyone.

Don't forget Prince of Persia on your list.

Don't forget Prince of Persia on your list.

I used Warcraft, Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed because they were covered in the Filmento video I talked about - hence why I didn't mention any other/older movies like Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., etc.
(Funnily enough, Paul W.S. Anderson also did the first Mortal Kombat movie although I've never seen that one so I can't give a decent opinion of it).

Speaking of MK, there's an R-rated reboot coming out this year.

I used Warcraft, Tomb Raider and Assassin's Creed because they were covered in the Filmento video I talked about - hence why I didn't mention any other/older movies like Street Fighter, Super Mario Bros., etc.
(Funnily enough, Paul W.S. Anderson also did the first Mortal Kombat movie although I've never seen that one so I can't give a decent opinion of it).

Speaking of MK, there's an R-rated reboot coming out this year.

Yeah I seen that. Kinda liked Raiden in the first mortal Kombat movie.

Morbid curiosity, I guess.

It was way too gruesome as well.

The Nerscylla injected their eggs into one of the military people, which I was very uncomfortable with because of fear of spiders. They showed a sleep arrow go directly into the Diablos's eye and then the eye was seen foaming, and they showed all of that. There was another scene where a great sword was being plunged directly into Diablos's skull, and they showed the skin and head splitting open in detail. They then showed Artemis carving a plate off of Diablos in detail. There is a reason why they don't show your character carving the skin, scales, and armor plating off of the monsters you kill in such detail in-game. That's because they don't want anybody feeling sick. Also, two people actually got impaled by Diablos's horn.

There was a couple of times where Rathalos's wings were torn, but that was fine tho.

It was not enough gore to go over to the R rating, but it was enough to make me uncomfortable and a little stressed.

IK this is what happens with theaters that use Dolby audio systems, but it was really frikin loud, as well.

They also did not use any of the music from the games at all, either. All they had was this generic-sounding electronic music and it made the movie feel even more fake. At least they used the original monster sounds (although probably at least a bit re-mixed), or I'd be extra disappointed.

I've never played Monster Hunter. In fact, I'm so unfamiliar with it that I just now realized I've been confusing it with Monster Rancher for the past decade or so.

Still, I'm very wary of game-based movies, and wouldn't have watched it unless I were a huge fan.

I remember Monster Rancher along with not just Pokémon and Digimon but Jade Cocoon as well.

Animation is really the way to go when it comes to video game adaptations. Just look at Final Fantasy VII Advent Children and the Castlevania TV series.

IK this is what happens with theaters that use Dolby audio systems, but it was really frikin loud, as well.
That's why I usually turn off my hearing aids when I'm at the movies (just a perk of being hard of hearing! :) )

They also did not use any of the music from the games at all, either. All they had was this generic-sounding electronic music and it made the movie feel even more fake. At least they used the original monster sounds (although probably at least a bit re-mixed), or I'd be extra disappointed.
Is the games' soundtrack pretty good? Like in FFVII: Advent Children, they used a few remixes of tracks from the original game. Even Final Fantasy Unlimited's opening started with a riff from the games' Prelude. Though I can't recall Netflix's Castlevania reusing any tracks from the games.

I remember Monster Rancher along with not just Pokémon and Digimon but Jade Cocoon as well.

Animation is really the way to go when it comes to video game adaptations. Just look at Final Fantasy VII Advent Children and the Castlevania TV series.

I think one of my old gaming magazines has an ad for Jade Cocoon. I always thought it looked interesting. I never played any of the Digimon games, but I liked the anime.

I think fantasy stories that involve superheroes or monsters work best in animation, partly because the animation helps suspend disbelief. Monsters look out of place in the real world, but are acceptable in the animated world.

That's why I usually turn off my hearing aids when I'm at the movies (just a perk of being hard of hearing! :) )

Is the games' soundtrack pretty good? Like in FFVII: Advent Children, they used a few remixes of tracks from the original game. Even Final Fantasy Unlimited's opening started with a riff from the games' Prelude. Though I can't recall Netflix's Castlevania reusing any tracks from the games.

I think one of my old gaming magazines has an ad for Jade Cocoon. I always thought it looked interesting. I never played any of the Digimon games, but I liked the anime.

I think fantasy stories that involve superheroes or monsters work best in animation, partly because the animation helps suspend disbelief. Monsters look out of place in the real world, but are acceptable in the animated world.
Yeah, the MH OST is really good. Here a few samples:
I just typed in the main theme (Proof of a Hero) and then random monster's themes.

New Threads

Top Bottom