• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Dilemma of Highly Gifted Students

MY sister wants too retire next months the biggest issue is not too many business administration masters degreed people can replace her, she is a geologist with a masters in economics. sounds like they got a European trained
person Chinese degreed in Germany as an understudy. The position involves currency trading in mining industry.

MY sister wants too retire next months the biggest issue is not too many business administration masters degreed people can replace her, she is a geologist with a masters in economics. sounds like they got a European trained
person Chinese degreed in Germany as an understudy. The position involves currency trading in mining industry.
Mining....whew that's a real specialized industry in my state. Both commercially and academically.

The potential economics make my head spin...along with so many complex issues revolving around natural resources.

School was never my forte

My issue however wasn’t so much on grades or homework, as I did everything I could

I struggled with behaving properly. I did not like the rules and I wanted to do things my way

Such is the dilemma of highly gifted students. Growing up I was always highly competitive, wanted to destroy everybody

I wish schools can realize that and allow us to learn on our own

I feel like the common rule doesn’t apply to us and it restrains us from being us
There is intelligence and there is competitiveness. You combine the two and you have an absolute "savage" on your hands in terms of someone who is going to move up quickly through the ranks. They will run people right over and never look back.

Whether it was academics or athletics, I was always just good enough to beat my competition. If I didn't know who or what I was trying to beat, I found myself doing well, but with nothing or nobody to compete with I never felt like I could rise to the top.

Most modern schools are designed about having everyone meet some minimum standard. The "no child left behind" mentality of standardized testing that catered to and focused upon the lowest performer in the classroom. The top 10% or so of the class were bored out of their minds, sometimes acting up in class (because they could) and managed to get the top grades without putting in any sort of effort or really learning how to study. It's quite the dilemma for a teacher now-a-days when you have students that manage to achieve the top academic scores without putting in any effort and are not really engaged in the lessons.

Historically, it was not unheard of that high-achieving students could skip grades. However, then you have the situation where you have an emotionally immature child in a class of older children, which can open them up for alienation and bullying. If the parents are not able to afford to pull the child out of that situation, have private tutoring, and allow the child to learn at his/her advanced pace, the poor kid suffers. I am not a fan of home schooling in general, because most parents are not trained instructors and often don't have time to learn the lessons themselves, and certainly, when you have a kid who is say, 14 years old and is doing advanced-level mathematics or sciences, the parent simply is inadequate. They really need a real instructor and that comes with a financial cost. Some kids can push themselves and learn on their own, self-taught. Some kids still want to be kids and get distracted easily without constant prodding. Then learning becomes a negative thing.

I wish there were specific schools or even specific wings on existing schools with classrooms where high academic achievers can be allowed to push themselves ahead at their natural advanced pace. Intelligence and academic achievement are rarely celebrated and supported. It's a crying shame that we don't prioritize our top performers, but to the contrary, we are perpetually holding them back.

Maybe this is by design. I don't know. A huge population of "worker drones" just smart enough to do the work and data entry, but not really smart enough to question what's really going on behind the curtain. *Off topic: We'll see what happens when the humanoid robots become commonplace in the workforce. The Tesla Optimus robot comes out next year at a price point under $30,000, no sick time, no benefits, no bathroom or lunch breaks, precision work, can work all day, etc. and can replace a line worker getting paid $40, 50, 60,000 a year. Money and productivity talk and real humans can walk.

School was never my forte

My issue however wasn’t so much on grades or homework, as I did everything I could

I struggled with behaving properly. I did not like the rules and I wanted to do things my way

Such is the dilemma of highly gifted students. Growing up I was always highly competitive, wanted to destroy everybody

I wish schools can realize that and allow us to learn on our own

I feel like the common rule doesn’t apply to us and it restrains us from being us
I imagine this is based on your experience so I accept it as such.

I don't agree with some of the generalizations as they depend on what you mean by "wanting to do things your way" and whether that's an issue of "highly gifted students." It also depends on the educational level: secondary school, college, grad school.

The higher the degree, the more value there is in "doing things your own way" provided that way advances a field or adds to knowledge. In college or master's level there is more emphasis on receiving knowledge and showing that you have mastered a topic, but in a doctoral program and in research one has to create knowledge and that's when creativity and innovation become more important. Sometimes the best students based on grades are not the best at innovation.

You're always free to learn on your own anything you want, but when you take a class you have to be able to show you have learned something. If you learned that something by following your own set of rules, that's usually fine, unless the class and teacher are bad.

Anyhow. I have much more to say but I'll stop here. I think about these issues often as I both teach and do research. I grew up in a poor country with bad education, but I also have degrees from the best universities in the US. One of my conclusions from these experiences is that intelligence explains only a small part of success in research and teaching. Intelligence explains a larger part of getting good grades, but effort and other qualities are way more important. Ok, one more conclusion: nobody will teach you what you need to know: 80% is learning by yourself. School mostly teach you the basics and how to learn.

Last edited:
Mining....whew that's a real specialized industry in my state. Both commercially and academically.

The potential economics make my head spin...along with so many complex issues revolving around natural resources.
Her husband is a mining engineer retired got his master's in hydrology became executive partner of consulting firm
our nephew also mining engineer just quit his job was trading mining stocks independently wealthy currently went back to school to get master's Did not know his uncle was also engineer same university. I see a fractal patten.in next generation after us. My niece is is also an economics, building an incredible reputation in the environmental industry top 25 under 25 a few years ago. When she was younger did not fell worthy of being part of the family.

You can't learn on your own in school much, but you can and should certainly learn on your own.

To be fair, how much time does anyone of us spend looking past "behavioral issues" in other kids? It can also easily be a self-perpetuating cycle, where the parents give up on a kid, kid falls behind, etc. Thomas Edison got kicked out of school for his ADHD.

I think that public school teachers (in the USA) have too many students, too many special needs students, too many children with behavioral issues, and lack training or expertise to diagnose those children. Where are those kids' parents?! I tend to squarely blame the parents.

I had my younger sons back he is doing very well and I have no idea what his daughter is capable of my great course collection is for her. Hours and hours of university lectures with the most astonishing teachers.

Kevin, I think an online school model would've suited you perfectly!
Too bad you and I never had a chance to do such a model.

New Threads

Top Bottom