• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Temple Grandin on autism

Talk about Ableism. Grandin has Ableist written all over her face. And she also need to read the DSM-5 about the Autism Criteria noting specific words. This women don't come across as being on the spectrum and brain damage don't translate into Autism though there may be some Autism like symptoms. She wasn't even formally diagnosed for Autism until she was 40 according to the news media.

For those of you who finds a cure for Autism utter nonsense may want to think twice about Temple Grandin.

Attachments

• Temple Grandin the Ableist.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:
I don't agree with the idea that chemicals used in pregnancy could be to blame for severe cases of autism.

I don't think it is Autism in itself that disables kids, but the co-morbid conditions (Secondary Disorders) such as Epilepsy, Coordination Disorder and intellectual developmental disorder. Temple Grandin has been around Auti$m $peak$ too much because this is the kind of garbage Bob and Suzanne Wright spews. I see Temple Grandin as nothing more the an opportunist trying to fit into the world of Autism but can't. So we really need to give some serious thought about this woman.

I don't know about that. Nothing Temple Grandin has said has been bad unlike the history of Autism Speaks.

You are right no one, not even Temple Grandin can even come close to Autism Speaks. However, since Autism Speaks heavily endorses her and have associated with her some of it has rubbed off on her. Autism Speaks have a way of poisoning the minds of people against Autistic folks, especially their sponsors who are too quick to put us down without first doing their research.

At least Temple Grandin doesn't think we are a cancer, a disease, a Tsunami, a drain on the economy and an epidemic which Autism Speaks does. Autism Speaks have absolutely no respect for us and that is why I hate this organization so much.

I don't agree with some of the things she's stated in the past (posthumously diagnosing historical figures, etc.), and I definitely do not agree with her mother's past rants either. She's free to categorize autism however she sees fit and give her personal perspective in the process as anyone else would, but assuming that applies to everyone else is a huge mistake on her behalf.

Not to downgrade her success by any means...I mean, she's highly educated in her areas of expertise and a success by any standard, but that doesn't make her the ultimate authority on autism.

Last edited:
I don't agree with some of the things she's stated in the past (posthumously diagnosing historical figures, etc.), and I definitely do not agree with her mother's past rants either. She's free to categorize autism however she sees fit and give her personal perspective in the process as anyone else would, but assuming that applies to everyone else is a huge mistake on her behalf.

Not to downgrade her success by any means...I mean, she's highly educated in her areas of expertise and a success by any standard, but that doesn't make her the ultimate authority on autism.

I absolutely agree, especially on your very last sentence. But I got to thinking maybe Temple Grandin wasn't as well received when it came to Autism as she thought and got into the animal slaughter trying to convince us how humane it is to bleed pigs and cows to death hanging by one leg and any of them that shows any movement is finished off with a electric prod. And if the cows' tongues are hanging out than we know these cows are dead. Though I won't stop eating meat, I have to admit there is no humane way to slaughter animals unless they are put to sleep with something where they don't feel pain.

I didn't realize there were so many, Autistic and Non Autistic so down on this women because of the stance she take on Autism which is misleading. But, when someone like Temple Grandin become bedmates with such a vile organization such as Auti$m $peak$, she will spew misinformation about Autism too.

She comes across to me as a conniving opportunist to find a way to make tons of money. So I will always see her as a fake putting on a big act which she is so good at. :mad:

I don't think it is Autism in itself that disables kids, but the co-morbid conditions (Secondary Disorders) such as Epilepsy, Coordination Disorder and intellectual developmental disorder...

Not to go too off topic here, but Donna Williams has a good theory on this if you're interested - the idea of an "autism fruit salad" and how many co-morbid conditions can overlap to create the various symptoms seen in many autistic people.

While I can't relate to anything serious like gut issues or epilepsy as she describes, she makes some pretty convincing arguments.

So many autism advocates are selling out to what I call "the green movement". Ten years ago Temple was preaching autism acceptance and it as a "way of being" and now she's moved onto the "chemicals and pollutants increase autism" and "autistics need to learn to pass as NT if they want a job" (okay so she didn't say those exact words but this is the impression I got). She has changed so much, what a shame. Alex plank is even worse. We need some decent advocates

I have not associated with Autism Speaks, but another theory that is being proposed about the rise in LFAs is that they are not injured NTs, but rather injured Aspies.* If that proves to be the case, we (of all people) should be up in arms about this gross medical negligence.

*That is, that the AS is already there/neuro-diversity/not an injury or disease, but there is some environmental injury on top of that that we are more susceptible to, particularly due to our hypersensitivity.
M-ponder.gif

Last edited:
I have not associated with Autism Speaks, but another theory that is being proposed about the rise in LFAs is that they are not injured NTs, but rather injured Aspies.* If that proves to be the case, we (of all people) should be up in arms about this gross medical negligence.

*That is, that the AS is already there/neuro-diversity/not an injury or disease, but there is some environmental injury on top of that that we are more susceptible to, particularly due to our hypersensitivity.

I’m confused are you trying to say that temple Grandin thinks instead of being like how do I put this broken normal people or nts we are people that would be as originally but broken due to the environment I don’t understand?

And if this is true is that why she’s claiming herself to be an aspie right now . When she herself had delays and was diagnosed with originally classic autism.

I’m sorry if this question sounds strange in anyway.

I’m confused are you trying to say that temple Grandin thinks instead of being like how do I put this broken normal people or nts we are people that would be as originally but broken due to the environment I don’t understand?
No. I'm not citing TG. I'm saying that another view of injury in ASD is that we (on the spectrum) are all born Aspies, at first, without any kind of deficit. Because of our inherent sensitivities, we tend to be more vulnerable to a secondary CNS injury (that NTs likely aren't). There has been an increase in these secondary CNS injuries (visible in the form of severe co-morbid conditions), but not necessarily in autism, itself. Prior to the Y-Generation, most Aspies/auties would have just been thought of as geeks, nerds, eccentrics, engineers(?), etc., but would have been able to maintain self-care.

New Threads

Top Bottom