• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Supermarket woes

I pretty much do that as well but also separated into kitchen areas. After the supermarket shop, I head into town to visit the local shops to pick up local produce (fruit, veg, milk, butter, eggs, bread, meat). Visiting the local shops is always a more pleasurable experience - and there's the charity shops, a bookshop and a record shop! I only really use the supermarket for the bulky stuff that I can't get in town.

I don't know where you live, but it sounds heavenly that you can visit local specialty shops for various types of food. Where I live, everyone goes to supermarkets. The only local specialty food stores are a butcher store that sells locally raised meats, a bakery that makes great bread, and an olive oil store that imports all its olive oil and balsamic vinegars. I'd love to have a cheese store like in New York City. We do have a lot of farmers markets for fresh vegetables and fruit in the summer. But all shopping requires driving from place to place, rather than being able to just walk to little, local stores.

I don't know where you live, but it sounds heavenly that you can visit local specialty shops for various types of food. Where I live, everyone goes to supermarkets. The only local specialty food stores are a butcher store that sells locally raised meats, a bakery that makes great bread, and an olive oil store that imports all its olive oil and balsamic vinegars. I'd love to have a cheese store like in New York City. We do have a lot of farmers markets for fresh vegetables and fruit in the summer. But all shopping requires driving from place to place, rather than being able to just walk to little, local stores.
I live in Redruth (in Cornwall, UK), although I was brought up in nearby Penryn and Famouth, about 8 miles away. It's pretty rural here and the town's population is around 15,500 and is one of the larger towns in Cornwall. There's a bakery less than a minute away and the town centre and local shops are only a couple of minutes walk from my house. We also have a local farm who sell their own meat, sausages, eggs etc. and that's only a 10 minutes walk in the other direction, a fantastic local brewery and we're only 3 miles from the coast. I'm not saying it's perfect (some boarded up shops and far too many hairdressers, barbers and tattooists) but I like it.

As an adult, I've lived in London, Portsmouth and Plymouth but have always returned home. I can't see me leaving here again.

Oh, there is a cheese shop in Truro, about 10 miles away :)

New Threads

Top Bottom