• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Speaking in Third Person?

Trixie Belle

Hello,

I'm looking for some help with a co-worker who has recently starting referring to himself in the the third person. He is in his 50s and does have Asperger's. Is this a coping mechanism to help him deal with stress? We work in the service industry and this is putting his job in jeopardy. When asked why he is referring to himself in the third person, he gets very upset and defensive. We are trying to be supportive but this behavior is confusing our customers. What can we do to help him?

I am not this person, but when I think about that, I imagine that I would talk about me at the 3rd person if I knew some people were talking about me behind my back.

Last edited:
What’s his background?
It would have been common during the time he was studying (especially for engineers) to always write in third person and passive sentences. It might just be this training coming to the surface, especially if he’s feeling stressed.

Sounds like a stupid game. Yes, Autistics play them too. The boss needs to tell him to cut that crap out or he will shortly only be referred to in the past tense.

"Hi Employee. We work to accommodate your neurology/Aspergers/differences

however

talking about yourself in the third person

is confusing our customers.

Please cut it out.
If you are stressing, here is the phone number to our employee assistance program.
We may be able to move you to a back office/bussing tables/a different position

or we may have to terminate you."

Checking into whether or not other employees are talking about him or bullying him may be worth checking into.

What has changed for him that might have prompted him to start speaking of himself this way?
It sounds like he feels threatened in some way.
Speaking of self in third person creates distance, and an impression of objectivity.

Has he been accused of not performing his job functions adequately?

The Psychological Case for Talking in the Third Person
https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/the-psychology-of-referring-to-yourself-in-the-third-person
His work schedule has been changed a little bit due to staff shortage. He also has a history of speaking accents but that has been going on for about a year. I will mention this to his direct supervisor. Thank you.

What’s his background?
It would have been common during the time he was studying (especially for engineers) to always write in third person and passive sentences. It might just be this training coming to the surface, especially if he’s feeling stressed.
He doesn't have any education past high school, but I think you might be right that this a coping mechanism due to stress. Thank you.

I am not this person, but when I think about that, I imagine that I would talk about me at the 3rd person if I knew some people were talking about me behind my back.
Thank you for your reply. We try not to have a gossipy atmosphere at work, but if I customer brings a problem to me as a shift supervisor, I need to discuss it with his direct supervisor. But I will make sure the rest of the staff isn't talking about him.

"Hi Employee. We work to accommodate your neurology/Aspergers/differences

however

talking about yourself in the third person

is confusing our customers.

Please cut it out.
If you are stressing, here is the phone number to our employee assistance program.
We may be able to move you to a back office/bussing tables/a different position

or we may have to terminate you."

Checking into whether or not other employees are talking about him or bullying him may be worth checking into.
Thank you. I will investigate the possibility of bullying.

I do it when I'm feeling exceptionally well. But always when I'm alone.

New Threads

Top Bottom