• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Somewhere between disbelief and relief.

Lightswitch411

It's been 3-1/2 years since my assessment, at the age of 56, and I'm still struggling with it. [my "disbelief"]

There are a couple of YouTube channels that have been helpful in putting my life experiences into perspective [my "relief"] but I still feel vulnerable and concerned for tomorrow, and the next day, and the day after that because I'm alone (divorced 4 yrs ago) and without any in-person support.

I'm the sole survivor of my childhood so I can't meet the requirements of a DSM-5 diagnosis. I do have an "assessment" (basically, a recommendation for further efforts toward a diagnosis) but that doesn't qualify me for any support...even if it were available, locally, to adults (who don't immediately, obviously present as being on the spectrum).

If I'm accountable to no one but myself, to set goals and timetables, my executive function inertia and "time blindness" becomes a real problem (as it is now) instead of just an annoying struggle.

I'm not sure why I'm here. I just know I don't want to feel alone with this and have to do something other than what I have been doing because that hasn't been working for me lately. If one of you could slow time down by, oh, say at least 50%? I'd be very appreciative. :-D

1698432572313.png

Welcome!

I'm not an expert, but I don't think having family around is a requirement to meet a DSM-5 diagnosis. I received a level 1 diagnosis by providing my own self-reported family history and insights. Possibly not a super traditional method, but it does at least go to show you that a diagnosis is not impossible in your situation.

I'm sure there are a lot of people here who can relate to the issues you are facing. I've been shocked how helpful this forum has been to me in the short time I've been a member. If my experience is any indication, I think you'll find it really rewarding to seek advice and share your struggles here.

I will also add that I've been through quite a journey regarding my own disbelief in my diagnosis. Check out the threads I've created. You might find something useful in them.

Hello and welcome.

Hopefully by spending time here on the forum and getting to know people a little bit, some of your feelings of aloneness will start to dissolve.

Basically this is a place where people on the spectrum come to vent what's on their mind, and some of us decide to hang out with like minded people.

Welcome!

A DSM-5 ASD diagnosis requires confirmation that the signs were there since early childhood.

This is usually done via interview of a family member (often parent) or other person familiar with that.

However, there are no set standards, and some are willing to accept uncorroborated self-reported information.

Regardless, I hope you're able to find the supports you seek.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think having family around is a requirement to meet a DSM-5 diagnosis. I received a level 1 diagnosis by providing my own self-reported family history and insights. Possibly not a super traditional method, but it does at least go to show you that a diagnosis is not impossible in your situation.
Maybe just a technicality (one that's been dying to be said...so just ignore me while I flush this thought out) but I never used the word "family". "Family" would be one subset of all who knew me during my childhood. Family, friends, neighbours, teachers, guardians/foster parents could all contribute to a DSM-5 clinical autism assessment but they're either long dead or lost touch decades ago.
[Whew! I feel so much better now. :p ]

"Self-reported family history and insights" is an interesting concept to me. I know certain random facts (where I lived, who lived with me, etc.) and the occasional remembrance of something (playing in a dirt pile beside one house I lived in) but those come to my recall randomly and tend not to stay remembered. I certainly can't describe why the events ocurred, how I felt when they ocurred, or associate these facts with any sort of pattern.

My memories are like a black and white photograph being flashed before me for half a second. Not much to talk about. I'm told this situation is called aphantasia with "Severely Deficient Autobiographical Memory (SDAM)".

When one is over 55 yrs old, an ASD diagnosis has no particular benefit. I'd rather spend the time and money on a trip to Ireland...or Scotland.

New Threads

Top Bottom