• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Stuttermabolur

Wondering...
V.I.P Member
I have never been able to snap my fingers, ever since I was a kid and we were asked to snap to some songs. It seemed like I was the only one who just couldn't do it, and I still can't no matter how much I try. I have a standard body and fitness level, so in theory, nothing should stand in the way. However, I don't have great dexterity in my hands, and my handwriting is truly terrible. Perhaps I'm using the wrong technique, but I've had people try to teach me and it didn't work.

I'm wondering if me not being able to snap my fingers might in some way be associated with autism, so I'm curious to hear if snapping is no problem for others here, or if you also struggle.

Last edited:
I can snap. I do it a lot. One of my stims.

Did you know that the sound of a snap actually comes from contact between your middle finger and the fatty pad at the bottom of your thumb.

1685209814006.jpeg

I also cannot snap my fingers. I have had it explained to me but it's one of those things where I can't seem to do it.

Maybe it's because I have paws.

Easiest way I can describe it is to imagine you were trying to grip something between your thumb and middle finger. Feel that tension and resistance. Then deliberately allow the finger to slip down the side of the thumb whilst the thumb moves in the opposite direction. Whilst still maintaining that level of pressure. This causes the finger to slip, snap downwards, and hit the thenar, which causes the sound, as described by @Rodafina

Here's a GIF I made

20230527_193808_1.gif

Ed

Last edited:
As mentioned, I've had it described, explained and shown to me many times. I still can't do it no matter what. That's why I'm curious about whether other people can do it or not rather than having it explained to me, though I appreciate the helpfulness all the same.

I have always been able to snap my fingers (either hand) for a very long time now. At some point, when I heard the phrase "what is the sound of one hand clapping?", I taught myself to make the same sound using all four fingers which IS the sound of one hand clapping. :D

I'm exactly the same, never been able to do it. I just have average sized and proportioned fingers and hands, I have nothing wrong with my bones muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments or nerves in my wrists or fingers that might prevent me from doing it. My hand dexterity is alright, my handwriting is fine. Just never been able to make the sound with either hand, even with people trying to teach me.

Curiously enough, I've always been able to do the Ali G thing where he pinches his middle finger and thumb together and hits his index finger off his middle finger to make a snapping sound. I can do that and it makes a louder noise than trying to snap my fingers.

Sacha Baron Cohen Trump GIF by Stan.

I can snap if I use my ring finger w/ the middle finger pressing down on top of it.... not able to create enough pressure to make the noise if I do middle finger alone.

I think you might be on to something as this is another of those "most people can do it instinctively / without trying but not me" things.

Yeah, I can’t do it either, and like I mentioned previously I can’t whistle.
Other people often get frustrated that I can’t do these things after they’ve explained them to me several times.

I'm exactly the same, never been able to do it. I just have average sized and proportioned fingers and hands, I have nothing wrong with my bones muscles, joints, tendons, ligaments or nerves in my wrists or fingers that might prevent me from doing it. My hand dexterity is alright, my handwriting is fine. Just never been able to make the sound with either hand, even with people trying to teach me.

Curiously enough, I've always been able to do the Ali G thing where he pinches his middle finger and thumb together and hits his index finger off his middle finger to make a snapping sound. I can do that and it makes a louder noise than trying to snap my fingers.

Sacha Baron Cohen Trump GIF by Stan.
I looked at this really quickly and thought it was Adam Sandler in costume lol

I couldn't do it for a long time either (same with whistling), however for some reason I did practice snapping and it was eventually learned. I didn't practice whistling the same way because it's more embarrassing to fail at than the silent failed snap.

Easiest way I can describe it is to imagine you were trying to grip something between your thumb and middle finger. Feel that tension and resistance. Then deliberately allow the finger to slip down the side of the thumb whilst the thumb moves in the opposite direction. Whilst still maintaining that level of pressure. This causes the finger to slip, snap downwards, and hit the thenar, which causes the sound, as described by @Rodafina

Here's a GIF I made

View attachment 103877

Ed
Agree with @Stuttermabolur. I appreciate the description but it still isn't working for me.

I can snap and do many other hand stuff, like pasing a pencil from finger to finger. I cant whistle very well.

I have decent leg coordination (running, skying, roller skating) or hand coordination (catching a ball, throwing...) But I find very difficult to do both at the same time (dance, punch and kick combinations in martial arts).

Interesting topic.

New Threads

Top Bottom