• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lemon Zing

This new spin off Silent Hill game (which was rumoured for ages), finally got unveiled at State of Play, and Konami also showed some footage of the SH2 remake. However, Konami hasn't confirmed a release date yet for the remake, but it should be out later on this year.

This is probably going to be rather short.

It's gonna be available to play at no cost later on today.

Horror games used to terrify me when I was younger. But the more I played them, and the more my depression grew - they started to feel very bland, and didn't scare me half as much as the voice inside me head does.

Ed

Yeah. I feel that way too. A lot of horror movies for example no longer scare me now that I'm 38 years old and way too used to them. I find they can either be quite thrilling or a downright slog to sit through.

Resident Evil games have ended up so corny now, I struggle to enjoy them just in general. The plot is also so muddled up, and the gameplay feels bland now, which it never used to feel like. It also kind of feels like Capcom just makes up things to do with the story, in order to continue to milk the series.

I don't have to watch the video to say this much. I am not falling for the trap that Konami is laying out to trick Silent Hill fans. They can pretend to look like they care all they want.

Plus, if you'd like to play SH2 with updated graphics. There's mods on the PC version that can do that. You can just do that.

Also. I'm sure they'll find a way to rip the original story to shreds. Which will not help, if they do. And I cannot honestly expect them to retain any feeling of the original game.

I don't have to watch the video to say this much. I am not falling for the trap that Konami is laying out to trick Silent Hill fans. They can pretend to look like they care all they want.

Plus, if you'd like to play SH2 with updated graphics. There's mods on the PC version that can do that. You can just do that.

Also. I'm sure they'll find a way to rip the original story to shreds. Which will not help, if they do. And I cannot honestly expect them to retain any feeling of the original game.

Pretty much, yeah.

At this point the old Konami has been dead for a very, very long time. Just like Activision (which, believe it or not, was once a REALLY good developer/publisher. And I dont mean Blizzard, I mean long before that merger).

Right now, best to just assume that any project involving Konami is going to be busted somehow.

Anyone who is looking for something similar to Silent Hill is going to have to look elsewhere. The original series is long dead, and it aint coming back.

I have been playing it for a few hours now, and the people who said this has the same engine as RE7, etc, were indeed correct. It was developed by HexaDrive.

Man, the chase scenes with that cherry blossom, stalker monster are so annoying. If it catches you, it causes you to die and the game loops, just like P.T. did.

You have to run around narrow passageways to avoid it, but you hardly get any time to think about what you should be doing. So this gets frustrating fast.

Anyway, I still think Capcom is worse than Konami, in spite of their success. The remakes they made have a lot of cut content, and Capcom has also ripped off a lot of games.

In fact, I sold all of those lame ass remakes, since they aren't canonical anyway. Only the 2002 remake is canon.

But how was Capcom imitating Konami's games, exactly?

For starters, RE8 has DLC where you play as this teenager named Rosemary Winters. She ends up in the same places Ethan Winters (her father) explored in the main storyline. Then she runs into mannequins. You just feel lots of vibes of somebody ending up in Silent Hill, with a similar plot about how she's connected to another girl.

Uh-huh... I think that sounds familiar for a reason.

Well, Capcom were copying the nurses. You know? They are the ones with tumours for faces that attack you, and the light attracts them, or something. The mannequins are the same way. But that's kind of lame of Capcom to do that, but it is not surprising to me any more, considering they have also copied other games as I said.

Play both the entirety of the games The Last of Us and Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - back to back. Then you'll soon notice what I'm getting at here. ;)

I have been playing it for a few hours now, and the people who said this has the same engine as RE7, etc, were indeed correct. It was developed by HexaDrive.

Man, the chase scenes with that cherry blossom, stalker monster are so annoying. If it catches you, it causes you to die and the game loops, just like P.T. did.

You have to run around narrow passageways to avoid it, but you hardly get any time to think about what you should be doing. So this gets frustrating fast.

Anyway, I still think Capcom is worse than Konami, in spite of their success. The remakes they made have a lot of cut content, and Capcom has also ripped off a lot of games.

In fact, I sold all of those lame ass remakes, since they aren't canonical anyway. Only the 2002 remake is canon.

For starters, RE8 has DLC where you play as this teenager named Rosemary Winters. She ends up in the same places Ethan Winters (her father) explored in the main storyline. Then she runs into mannequins. You just feel lots of vibes of somebody ending up in Silent Hill, with a similar plot about how she's connected to another girl.

Well, Capcom were copying the nurses. You know? They are the ones with tumours for faces that attack you, and the light attracts them, or something. The mannequins are the same way. But that's kind of lame of Capcom to do that, but it is not surprising to me any more, considering they have also copied other games as I said.

Play both the entirety of the games The Last of Us and Resident Evil: Revelations 2 - back to back. Then you'll soon notice what I'm getting at here. ;)

To be fair to Capcom though, they have enough output overall that there's way more to them than just RE. I normally just outright dont like AAA games, but even I like a couple of Capcom's things... Street Fighter is STILL going strong after all these years, and Monster Hunter is also really great (though it had a bit of a hiccup at one point, around the time the Wii was out).

Konami is... odd. Like, they almost exist more as a memory than a company at this point, within the industry anyway. An inactive legacy. Outside of the gaming industry they do other things, which is part of the problem, their focus hasnt been on the games in a REALLY long time (thus the infamous pachinko machines). But within it? They dont even do anything much of the time. It's very strange, really. I grew up with their NES games and whatnot, and they were a household name among gamers at the time. Everyone knew the Konami Code, and that was LONG before the internet. Now? Many just outright forget they are even there. Even I usually forget they still exist as a company until I watch some video on horror games that mentions Silent Hill, and then that reminds me.

Which I guess is at least better than modern-day Activision or EA... they sure do a LOT of things, pretty much all of which just suck.

I respect Capcom's legacy. I don't like to sound like a hater, even though people on RE websites or otherwise, probably assume I do not like them anymore. But that's not the case.

Unlike a lot of people, I just don't care for remakes, because it's like having a blue wall painted yellow. It's a different color, but just the same layer of concrete at the end of the day. But what truly bugs me is that their current storylines in sequels are so dumb.

It has gotten so bad, we've been seeing a vampire aristocrat in a castle turning into a black dragon. Like, that's exactly what happened in RE8. There was other things I disliked in RE8 too, but Christ. That was just lame. :D

As I often say, merchants should not be in horror games either. The idea of being in a survival horror situation is that you're meant to be unable to procure a lot of stuff. But I mean, if you can garner money and buy Arnie's gun collection from a fat slob, it just defeats the purpose of a horror game being creepy. But all the same, glazers who suck up to Capcom don't seem to mind any of that.

I saw that gameplay as a huge "betrayal" to the genre's golden era. After all, games in the 90s made you bust your butt in order to survive in a zombies filled mansion, city, or whatever. Now when you can eliminate Spaniards with pitchforks and get bullets magically appearing on the ground after you do so, it just ain't my idea of a horror yarn. :p

I respect Capcom's legacy. I don't like to sound like a hater, even though people on RE websites or otherwise, probably assume I do not like them anymore. But that's not the case.

Unlike a lot of people, I just don't care for remakes, because it's like having a blue wall painted yellow. It's a different color, but just the same layer of concrete at the end of the day. But what truly bugs me is that their current storylines in sequels are so dumb.

It has gotten so bad, we've been seeing a vampire aristocrat in a castle turning into a black dragon. Like, that's exactly what happened in RE8. There was other things I disliked in RE8 too, but Christ. That was just lame. :D

As I often say, merchants should not be in horror games either. The idea of being in a survival horror situation is that you're meant to be unable to procure a lot of stuff. But I mean, if you can garner money and buy Arnie's gun collection from a fat slob, it just defeats the purpose of a horror game being creepy. But all the same, glazers who suck up to Capcom don't seem to mind any of that.

I saw that gameplay as a huge "betrayal" to the genre's golden era. After all, games in the 90s made you bust your butt in order to survive in a zombies filled mansion, city, or whatever. Now when you can eliminate Spaniards with pitchforks and get bullets magically appearing on the ground after you do so, it just ain't my idea of a horror yarn. :p

Not to discount anything you are saying, but alot you are mentioning is merely a product of the times in gaming. Capcom and Konami are not alone in these practices. It just so happens Konami is one of a couple companies that is purposefully driving thier whole company into the ground.

As far as 'ripping off another company's game series'. Yeah. That's happened for a long time. However, It's not ripping off another game series, per se. As much as making fun of or paying homage. Depending on perspective and the competitiveness of the two companies.

I played this and had mixed feelings about it. I understand that horror games can't just be jump scare after jump scare, that's just cheap and not really what horror is about. But this game felt like a walking sim disguised as a horror game. Actually I feel that way about a lot of indie horror games these days. Some of them do it well (Layers Of Fear) and others not-so-well (Soma). But I also think part of the problem is that I've become spoiled in a way. Playing horror games outside of VR just don't really scare me anymore. This is one genre where VR is king now.

I feel that way too. It's why I am looking forward to the Alone in the Dark remake next month. That series has all the proper rudiments of survival horror, like puzzle solving, item management, enemy evasion, and combat.

Walking about just checking notes is still interesting, but if that's all you're doing, it's gonna make repeat runs boring.

New Threads

Top Bottom