• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sign language - anyone use it?

LilyJo

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone here uses sign language and your experiences of doing so? Does it help? Is it practically useful or are there so few speakers that it is not feasible?

I'm considering learning because I do struggle to get words out quite regularly and thought if may be useful. So over to you!

Thanks, LJ

I can spell in sign language, but I'm the only one who can, so it doesn't really help with the mutism.

Finger spelling is different from signing.
Many signs are self evident.

I studied AMSLAN some for work and
still use some signs when I talk. It
helps me be expressive enough without
talking really loudly or look in people's
faces a lot.

Signs and gestures. I don't mean I can't
talk. I mean...I illustrate with my hand
movements.

A good example of a person who is hearing
and can speak, but uses gestures/signs is
Donna Williams.

I used to teach Makaton to adults with Learning disabilities when I was younger. It's a form of sign language in which you only use single words as opposed to sentences. Useful for people who have difficulty expressing their wants/needs but for whom BSL is too hard to learn.

I taught myself how to spell in American Sign Language when I was a kid because I made friends with a girl who was deaf and it felt rude to constantly communicate through paper and notes. Never got to learn more than a few words though so there was a lot of facial expressions, body language, and emphatic gestures to try and bridge the gap. Haven't seen her in years but we really enjoyed each others' company when we got to play. Sometimes I try to pick up a word here and there for old time's sake.

I worked in a special needs school for 10 years and studied BSL at night school for 2 years. I love learning languages but no-one else does so I never get to use it these days and I've forgotten a lot of it. The sign for hovercraft is still my favourite though!

If people understood sign language intuitively, it would rescue my butt when I am unable to speak due to overload/stress.
Unfortunately, so few know sign language, I am unsure when it would help much.
Perhaps in hospital settings it might help, as they may be required to have an interpreter.

Try Googling communication fan and ASD. :) Might those help us?

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone here uses sign language and your experiences of doing so? Does it help? Is it practically useful or are there so few speakers that it is not feasible?

I'm considering learning because I do struggle to get words out quite regularly and thought if may be useful. So over to you!

Thanks, LJ
It's quite handy. Although I don't actively use it now, it was taught to me at a very early age (around 3) because I had language issues (could only hold 5 words), so I could never say what I needed or what was wrong. I didn't know very much of it, the basics were about it, but it helped me learn language by stimulating the language centers of my brain. Had my mom (who taught it to me) not known sign language, I would have had a diagnosis of full autism (instead of Asperger's Syndrome), the lack of language delay was the only missing factor in the diagnosis. I'm actually glad though, because otherwise I'd probably struggle more than I already do.

I'd say it's an effective way to communicate efficiently, but I'm not sure enough people know it to use it regularly.

I partly completed a course in Australian Sign Language. It was interesting.
I found that I could remember the information in a conversation easier if it were signed compared to spoken. It would be great if it was more common nowadays.

I've used ASL (American Sign Language) since I was very little and it has helped a lot. I use it when I'm overloading and when I just can't get an idea across. The visual really helps me process, even when other people can't understand what I'm signing.

I can do alphabet in BSL and know some words. I have a couple of customers who are deaf and when I see them they always make me feel happier. Even though I only know little of the language I find myself more comfortable using it than verbal English. One of my deaf customers typed out information on courses for me onto A4 paper. I appreciated the effort she did for me so I learnt how to say "your a kind lady thank you for the paper" in BSL. I practised everyday so I didn't forget it, when she visited again I signed it and put 2 big smiles on our faces.

I use ASL on a daily basis. It helps a lot with communication. I am able to express myself better sometimes.

I used to teach Makaton to adults with Learning disabilities when I was younger. It's a form of sign language in which you only use single words as opposed to sentences. Useful for people who have difficulty expressing their wants/needs but for whom BSL is too hard to learn.
i used makaton for that exact reason-i have LD and once severe now moderate classic autism,i struggled greatly with BSL as there were to many steps to each sign and it overloaded me with information trying to understand them,my SALT and support staff combined taught me makaton [and PECS etc] i only know a few BSL but makaton i know well,its just the care facility i live in now is designed for people with severe mental health problems so they werent taught any form of sign,itd greatly help me now even though i eventually became verbal;despite being verbal i am speech and language impaired and get overloaded extremely easily by communication and information.

New Threads

Top Bottom