• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Should I be offended that someone called me a robot? How do I be less robotic?

Butterfly88

Jello Queen
V.I.P Member
This person online (on another site) called me a robot. He said I didn't seem interested in what he was saying because my answers were robotic. They seemed upset so I was just trying to be a good listener. Has anyone else been called robotic? How do I fix this?

i-m-not-a-robot-i-have-feelings

Last edited:
I wouldn't try to change myself based upon the perceptions of someone else. If you try to please whomever criticizes you, you will never be able to please yourself. How well does this person know you, anyway?

My experience has been that more often than not Neurotypicals tend to expect/demand that you respond to them in a way THEY understand. Apparently you violated this premise.

Should you be offended? Yes.

How do you fix this? You cease communicating with that person. Or come to a mutual understanding that while you are to be perceived as a "robot", that he is to be perceived as an "asshole".

No doubt he'd probably label me a "robot" as well. My bad. Angry memories on my part.

Last edited:
Butterfly88

Can you give an example of what he
labelled a 'robotic' response?

There is no way to know what needs to be
'fixed,' otherwise. Maybe nothing needs to
be 'fixed' aside from the other person's
expectations.

The person you spoke to online was a jerk, plain and simple. I wouldn't take it as a compliment if they said they did like you.

That was a mean thing to say. I don' think you need to give it more thought. I have read your posts here some and nothing of that nature ever occurred to me.

Can you give an example of what he
labelled a 'robotic' response?

I've been accused of such a thing before as well. Where I was verbose and clinical about something. I guess they were too lazy to read more than a simply-worded paragraph.

Not surprising, I don't do short and simple. Should a precise and/or lengthy answer merit an insult?

Judge
Butterfly88

I have been called a robot before.

The robotic aspect was apparently the
ability to pursue day to day activities, but
not care to drink or do drugs "to cope."

It was only one person.

I admire robots, actually, assuming they
do what they were designed to do.

If this person really cared about you, he/she would've PMed you instead of posting that for all to see. If you want to respond and stand up for yourself, reply to him/her something such as

"I don't appreciate how you posted to the "world" that I am robotic whether I am or not. If you really cared about me, you would've let me know 1-1. I feel like this is leading to borderline bully behavior, and it needs to stop now."

Were your responses written and not spoken? If so, how on earth could it have been gleaned from what you typed, that it was 'robotic'. This person made this judgement based on their own reading of your words (presumably with their own robotic inner voice). I would not worry about it, they are being illogical, not you.

That's a rude thing to say to someone being helpful/nice. Forget him and tell him he can kiss your metallic ass if he tries to talk with you again.

Were your responses written and not spoken? If so, how on earth could it have been gleaned from what you typed, that it was 'robotic'. This person made this judgement based on their own reading of your words (presumably with their own robotic inner voice). I would not worry about it, they are being illogical, not you.

It does sound bizarre, huh?

It reflects a certain prejudice some people have against how we may post a response online. Something I've also run into before as well. The perception of an unsympathetic response appearing verbose, too concise and too long. Some folks seem to balk at this.

It does sound bizarre, huh?

It reflects a certain prejudice some people have against how we may post a response online. Something I've also run into before as well. Too verbose, too concise and too long...and some folks seem to balk at this.
The ones who balk at this are usually the ones who are challenged in some way; usually the same ones who accuse one of using "big words.":rolleyes:

Alternatively, you could turn it on them.

Poster: You sound like a robot.
Me: The Meat Puppet knows too much, Implementing Meat Puppet Termination Protocol.

The ones who balk at this are usually the ones who are challenged in some way; usually the same ones who accuse one of using "big words.":rolleyes:

Reminds me of something that happened to me in another forum a few years back. Ironically it was someone who claimed to work in mental health...on a suicide prevention line. She commented on one of my posts saying, "Do you know how pompous you sound?" She never addressed the subject matter. Only in the way which I commented on it. Infuriating.

Reminds me of something that happened to me in another forum a few years back. Ironically it was someone who claimed to work in mental health...on a suicide prevention line. She commented on one of my posts saying, "Do you know how pompous you sound?" She never addressed the subject matter. Only in the way which I commented on it. Infuriating.
Indeed that is ironic! Maybe a good comeback would have been to say something like, "Yes, I do. Now. Do you know how insensitive you sound?

Robotic? Mate, I've been called a LOT worse before now, including a Spastic, Retarded, should've been drowned at birth, stuff no normal person would ever say to my face.

New Threads

Top Bottom