• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Share Healthy Asperger's Syndrome Coping Skills

- Listen to music through earbuds or headphones when you're walking to and from places so you aren't bothered or over-stimulated by crowds and sudden loud noises (i.e. construction work, sirens, motorcycles, etc)
- Carry stim/fidget toys with you, such as Tangle toys, worry stones, chewables, paracord, etc
- Make your room (or whatever area you occupy) a safe area, with things you like (such as movie posters, toys, stuffed animals, wall stickers, soft blankets, pillows, etc).
- Have a "safe person" you can talk about anything with
- Spend time with pets
- Indulge in your special interests
- Don't be afraid to say, "I can't do that right now," "I'm not feeling up to it" "I need a break" etc
- If you're in a group of people and are feeling overwhelmed, excuse yourself and take a break in the restroom

Please share healthy coping skills for dealing with Aspergers. One I use is arriving right when event starts so I don't have to engage in small talk.

I find it helpful to just smile and only speak when spoken to. I carry something soothing such as a worry stone in my pocket or another small tactile comfort. I spray my favorite scent on my hand and smell it to calm myself. When I get a chance, I go to the restroom and just take a moment to close my eyes and breathe.

Sound proof headphones (the ones used for hearing protection) or earplugs as music is sometimes bad if your trying to study.
Also gum to keep yourself from awkward stimming (I hand fart, just look up manualist on youtube...except mine is more random and can get high pitched).
Driving yourself to meetings as gregmcph said is a great idea. I can't count the number of times I was stuck at a gathering because someone else drove there.
I'm even in the works for building a lightweight portable desk so I can study anywhere on campus such as quiet places

Try method acting during the day if you work around a lot of NT people. Blend in by playing a character that gives you confidence. It sounds odd, but you can still be yourself and do this exercise if you think hard about it. I know some people here get offended by being asked to conform to NT ways for any reason, but it helps me and my advice isn't for everyone. I work in a highly social job where I am expected to be a subject matter expert and talk to new people every week.

A few things help me.

- listening to music (with headphones in) on break
- I used to stim/fidget with a ring i used to have at work but then i lost it so i can't do that anymore
- when i feel overwhelmed in any way while i'm babysitting the toddler (mon-fri 40hrs/wk), it helps to lay down on the armchair and cuddle up in a throw blanket or two. At that point i either nap if the kid is napping, or i just watch him play.

New Threads

Top Bottom