• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sensing others on spectrum

musicallessness

V.I.P Member
I have denying my spectrum abilities because I don't understand but today at the bus I had to ask. He a lot younger and doesn't like to accept this gift. Why is this? Why does it seem people with disabilities are like second rate citizens? How do we have social skills but this takes time? Most psychiatric doctors therapists have mistreated me and now I just collect my SSDI camping out where I can in California because my family had other intentions on how they want me to live.

I feel for you. I've been there too. Just remember that in the end it's up to you what you make of your life and what you feel about your life. Being happy is a choice.

As for your young man, many of us have different experiences. I grew up in the 60s and 70s, it was a weird mix of cultures. Religious influence was still very strong and a lot of people rejected me or wanted to "correct" me because I was a bit weird, but then there were other groups of people that celebrated my differences because of the fact that I was a bit weird and likely to be one of the persecuted minority.

Different times, strange times to be honest. I knew nothing about autism back then but I certainly knew I wasn't normal. :)

We are all products of both our own innate characters and our life experiences. Being able to balance both of those at once while trying to be a reasonable human being isn't always easy.

I hope you find your way.

I don't like to tell people I'm on the spectrum, and nobody guesses. Autism is mostly defined by stereotypes (by people , not factually) even to other autistics, so if you seem social and able to hold a conversation and don't stim or have any other of the common autistic mannerisms then people (even other autistics) may not guess you have autism, even though they can usually tell you may have something they still most likely wouldn't guess autism. Other autistics may guess if you tell them about your symptoms but otherwise most people might think you just have anxiety or depression or shyness or bipolar or ADHD or even deafness, or anything.

I used to work with a mother of an autistic teenager, and she didn't guess I had an ASD. I know this, because her teenager had a huge shutdown after starting a job because he felt overloaded. It took him a couple of weeks to recover. So when I was asked to do overtime I said to her "I might have some sort of shutdown like your autistic lad" (I knew I wouldn't but I worried about it anyway), and she said "but he has something called Asperger's syndrome, a mild form of autism". I knew the way she said it meant "it's not like you have autism or Asperger's, so it shouldn't happen to you".

So I can often tell how people perceive me by their actions and the way they say things.

Last edited:
I hope this isn't too offensive, but I'm going to say it.
Some people view collecting government money as a burden on society, especially if you plan to live on this forever and not try to get employed and make enough to get out of this situation.

There are people who don't live on government money that are treated like second class citizens anyway.
If you can live truly independently, it is easier for you to build yourself into a situation to be your own person.

Last edited:
I've heard it said many times that gay people have "gay-dar". I believe autistic people have something similar. "Au-dar"??

In my experience there are people I've been outright convinced to where I'd put money on it that they're autistic. Also another indicator to me even if it's not outright obvious is that if I get along easily and well with a person...most of the time they've been neurodiverse and that's the way it's been all my life. Like...attracts...like.

I don't like to judge autistic people who claim benefits, because it's really none of my business (not getting at anyone here, I'm just saying). I remember on an autism site I used to go on, there was this guy who went on there lecturing everyone who didn't work. I was unemployed at the time and he kept interrogating me on how much effort I make to find any work. I hate people like that, because it was really none of his business. Everybody's personal lives are different and not something that should be judged based on casual information one posts about themselves on an internet forum.

"A second-class citizen is a person who is systematically and actively discriminated against within a state or other political jurisdiction, despite their nominal status as a citizen or a legal resident there." - I don't know, because I've never had to deal with it. You have an autism diagnosis and the state or family knows and is not treating you fairly?

Sometimes parents can be imposing themselves on our lives and if you want to be independent with a disability you can. It's not easy but it's really hard having to deal with the limits a family can place upon you, and the nagging if you live with them.

"He a lot younger and doesn't like to accept this gift. Why is this?" Strangers are afraid you will ask for something in return or will treat them bad, because it happens a lot to people. Not all people are well intended like you are. And if you might seem disabled or different people get more afraid because they might think maybe you do it without knowing it and you need the gift for yourself, or you will become angry if they take it. They also might feel ashamed to accept things from a person who has a hard life and is disabled.

I don't like to judge autistic people who claim benefits, because it's really none of my business (not getting at anyone here, I'm just saying). I remember on an autism site I used to go on, there was this guy who went on there lecturing everyone who didn't work. I was unemployed at the time and he kept interrogating me on how much effort I make to find any work. I hate people like that, because it was really none of his business. Everybody's personal lives are different and not something that should be judged based on casual information one posts about themselves on an internet forum.

Context and balance and the individual is the only way to truly try to make a fair judgement. If the person who lives off of disability starts asking others for money or to have food bought for them etc, then it can start to become “their business”. If you have a friend who likes to do stuff that costs money, or if you are considering building a relationship with someone , these type of things can matter.

Context and balance and the individual is the only way to truly try to make a fair judgement. If the person who lives off of disability starts asking others for money or to have food bought for them etc, then it can start to become “their business”. If you have a friend who likes to do stuff that costs money, or if you are considering building a relationship with someone , these type of things can matter.
Yes that's different.

I hope this isn't too offensive, but I'm going to say it.
Some people view collecting government money as a burden on society, especially if you plan to live on this forever and not try to get employed and make enough to get out of this situation.

There are people who don't live on government money that are treated like second class citizens anyway.
If you can live truly independently, it is easier for you to build yourself into a situation to be your own person.
Nope i just waiting for the DMV and doctors to stop harassing and conspiring against me to got back to driving truck but In The mean time I will blaze this medical weed

New Threads

Top Bottom