• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Semantics Question

Magna

V.I.P Member
I was watching the TV game show Wheel of Fortune last night and during the contestant introductions one of the three contestants said she was a "retired police detective". She was not an elderly woman and certainly not of what would be considered "retirement age" (ie typically age 62 or above). I would estimate her age to have been around 40. She added that she'd spent 11 years as a police detective. Therefore she did not spend her entire working career as a police detective and based on her age she's still presumably able to continue working in the workforce. I don't understand why she referred to herself as a "retired" police detective.

> When people "retire" from the military, it means that they've worked in the military for a certain amount of time and essentially have chosen that as their career (ie decades of work). A person who spends say, 11 years in the military but then decides to quit the job and move on wouldn't say they "retired" from the military since "retired" in the context of the military has a very specific meaning.
> When civilians "retire" from a job, generally they're people who have worked at that job for many years and they're generally of retirement age.
>I worked at a job for 20 years but changed to a different type of work in the same broad field. I wouldn't say that I "retired" from that previous job since I'm still in the workforce. I've also had other jobs prior to that. I wouldn't say that I've "retired" from any of those previous jobs that I've had. I wouldn't say "retired" in any of my situations because it would be incorrect use of the word.

Was she correct in referring to her situation that way? If so, why? Perhaps law enforcement has a distinct way of using that word that is different from any other type of work?

Within the context of the military, you are either "active" or "retired" but, even as "retired" you may remain as part of the military, and in some cases, may be called back into "active" duty. It is unclear if some police organizations treat these status's similarly. Having two uncles who were Michigan State troopers, they used quite a bit of military vernacular, so it could be.

Given her age, she could have been "medically retired" from active duty due to injuries in the line of duty.

So, the suggestion here is that this "retired police detective" may be still hold some position within the police ranks, or not, but chose to use this description in order as a source of pride in herself, an "identity", if you will.

Last edited:
Perhaps law enforcement has a distinct way of using that word that is different from any other type of work?

Outside of the military, I wouldn't expect to see rigid uniformity when it comes to civilian retirement terms, or mandatory or even forced retirement. For law enforcement, as well as other branches of civilian services in federal, state and local jurisdictions.

To give you a very hard "real-world" answer, consider one of my uncles who long ago was given a variance from his employer's mandatory retirement age (57) as a special agent. Signed off by his boss at the time, Director J. Edgar Hoover.

And to consider other reasons for using such a statement to apply to herself accurately, to emphasize sentiment and loyalty, or even just to be coy about it. Then again given the nature of such work, they may have a reason for obscuring the truth. And consider those who retired given their undercover work who aren't about to explain it in whole or in part, let alone be publicly seen on television. No telling how they are likely to describe their "retirement".

Just because someone uses a particular word is no guarantee of its accuracy. Whether or not on purpose.

Last edited:
Retiring in the civilian and military sense mean that you will be getting benefits / a pension from those previous career choices, but yes, I do believe that you have to have a certain number of years in service for either to happen. The other possibility is if a person was hurt (or in these cases - shot and/or survived life threatening assault), and they will then retire with full benefits due to courage/valor in the line of duty.

Within the context of the military, you are either "active" or "retired" but, even as "retired" you may remain as part of the military, and in some cases, may be called back into "active" duty. It is unclear if some police organizations treat these status's similarly. Having two uncles who were Michigan State troopers, they used quite a bit of military vernacular, so it could be.

So, the suggestion here is that this "retired police detective" may be still hold some position within the police ranks, but chose to use this description in order as a source of pride in herself, an "identity", if you will.
Interesting. I've known people who have retired from the military which was their career. A coworker of mine at a previous job retired from the Air Force. It was his career and he'd worked there for the length of time necessary (decades) to obtain a military pension. He went into the Air Force right out of high school and therefore was able to retire from it while still young enough to choose to work a job in the civilian workforce.

So if I understand what you're saying correctly a person who does a 4 year stint in the military or whatever the common time frame is when they enlist and then decides they do NOT want to make a career out of it and they leave the military, it's correct/appropriate for them to tell people they "retired" from the military?

Retiring in the civilian and military sense mean that you will be getting benefits / a pension from those previous career choices, but yes, I do believe that you have to have a certain number of years in service for either to happen. The other possibility is if a person was hurt (or in these cases - shot and/or survived life threatening assault), and they will then retire with full benefits due to courage/valor in the line of duty.

Good point. I would assume if she had been injured in the line of duty and was forced to retire as such (meaning she would have desired to have worked as a detective longer than the 11 years but couldn't) that she likely would have said that she was injured in the line of duty since that, just like in the military, is worthy of an added level of respect.

Could be medical reasons as someone mentioned, or she won or earned or inherited enough money to retire and not work for example. There are several different possibilites for people to be retired before 62, so you never know. It's possible to be 20 and retired.

Last edited:
Could be medical reasons as someone mentioned, or she won or earned or inherited enough money to retire and not work for example. There are several different possibilites for people to be retired before 62. I'm 40 and I'm 'partially retired', so you never know. It's possible to be 20 and retired.

I used the term "semi-retired" myself. Regardless of my income, or lack thereof at a particular point in my life.

Though my own father did face a very formal forced retirement after his second heart attack. In any event there's not telling how many people out there regardless of their employment who may "freelance" the term "retirement".

I considered myself to be "retired" (systems analyst) when I started receiving SSDI at age 51. (I still had a side gig as a paper carrier [contractor], though.)

Last edited:
As far as the military goes, I always thought the distinction was between discharged and retired, discharge meaning end of service and retired meaning discharged with retirement benefits. I should ask a Statie friend, but would be surprised if they called non-career termination a retirement.

I considered myself to be "retired" (systems analyst) when I started receiving SSDI at age 51. (I still had a side gig as a paper carrier, though.)
LOL....point taken. And a highly legal one at that. Where being an SSDI recipient dictates some rather blatant terms and limitations of what does or doesn't constitute "retirement".

So many different ways to look at it....

I considered myself to be "retired" (systems analyst) when I started receiving SSDI at age 51. (I still had a side gig as a paper carrier, though.)
Yeah, that’s a medical retirement where I come from, and it also meets the requirement of having retirement benefits. Mine was the same except the company paid the benefits.

I also kept my business accounts open in case I have to process business income, but I am no longer seeking contracts nor employment.

She may not be comfortable explaining the reason why she's retired, especially if it's something that happened in the line of duty...or she very well did explain it, and either way, Wheel of Fortune is edited down, still.

She may not be comfortable explaining the reason why she's retired, especially if it's something that happened in the line of duty...or she very well did explain it, and either way, Wheel of Fortune is edited down, still.

Obscuring the truth is an occupational hazard for those retired from law enforcement. A job that can accrue some very bad feelings on the part of those who been apprehended or deceived over a long period of time.

Often for good reason unless they are still doing time. I still find it fascinating that there are a very few so willing to be so candid about such experiences, and not disguise themselves at their own peril. :eek:

Plenty of people throw around terms without bothering to sure they are using them accurately

On occasion when people ask me if I'm married or have a significant other, I simply answer, "No, I'm retired." ;)

Interesting. I've known people who have retired from the military which was their career. A coworker of mine at a previous job retired from the Air Force. It was his career and he'd worked there for the length of time necessary (decades) to obtain a military pension. He went into the Air Force right out of high school and therefore was able to retire from it while still young enough to choose to work a job in the civilian workforce.

So if I understand what you're saying correctly a person who does a 4 year stint in the military or whatever the common time frame is when they enlist and then decides they do NOT want to make a career out of it and they leave the military, it's correct/appropriate for them to tell people they "retired" from the military?
I don't know THAT much about how the military classifies individuals in terms of "retired". Certainly, I have relatives that retired from the military after putting in some 25+ years of service, collecting a pension, etc. However, there are others that say, do their 4 years, perhaps sign up to do another tour, but then have some time off, go back and do another tour, etc. There must be some "optional" contractural paperwork at the end of each tour of duty that they can sign that keeps them "on reserve" in some capacity, and they are no longer "active" status, but "retired" status, but are still able to be called up in time of need, keeping their rank, and so on. I say "optional" in the sense that most people put in their 4 years and are done with it, and I've never heard them (my co-workers that were in the military) say "I'm retired military". I don't know.

New Threads

Top Bottom