• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Safe Spaces"

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just the south that such behavior takes place. Furthermore, simply because a Christian does not agree with one's lifestyle does not make them "un-levelheaded." I know plenty of non-Christians that disagree with such lifestyles and have demonstrated cruelty beyond anything "un-levelheaded Christians" would perpetrate.
Just the hostility whether its christian, muslim or non religious sickens me to my stomach but it is nice knowing there are still good religious people out there sometimes it takes a level head and a good heart in the end. There are good southern folks as well who uphold the southern hospitality to all and are not racist nor homophobic. I do tend to lean a little on the left but not too far and do see good conservatives as well who are not racist nor homophobic or overly religious! Of course hose are negetive steriotypes there.

It's not just the south that such behavior takes place. Furthermore, simply because a Christian does not agree with one's lifestyle does not make them "un-levelheaded." I know plenty of non-Christians that disagree with such lifestyles and have demonstrated cruelty beyond anything "un-levelheaded Christians" would perpetrate.
Yeah trans people catch alot of hate as well, its due to society not understanding them and it is simply easier for them to attack those they do not understand, just like their ideas on Autistic people. In the end we are all people and need to realize that and get along, the hate needs to stop.

People do need at times a space to feel safe but at the same time not be bullied or put in a situation that their freedom of speech is limited to the point they have to walk on eggshells all the time let alone afraid to stand up for themselves if they feel oppressed. It would defeat the purpose to feel safe if you cannot express your self in a safe setting without being attacked and constantly kept in fear. Now don't get me wrong not all mods are bad and not all mods are nice but not all moderators are perfect either, their original task is to keep the peace, get rid of spam and trolls. You just have to keep trying to find the right place that best suits you that is not corrupt or imbalanced.

So I have watched this thread, and I have remained out of it. It seems unfair to me that I should allow these things to be stated, particularly in light of a further video being published by the OP, calling me a curebie and liar.

First a little summary of the situation.

In a facebook group, which at the time was a very new group, a group that contained quite a few hippie types, a whole bunch of videos were posted. Some were fine some were a bit left field and some were totally ridiculous.

A particular video was posted by a particular person which advocated that EFT could enhance your autism...

A well-known advocate reacted to that, had a meltdown and made a lot of noise, the admin team in the group jumped to the defence of the video poster. They did so without reviewing the video first. This was a mistake.

The offending post was deleted by me. Unfortunately, the poster had been mistakenly made an admin, he was removed from that role by me.

If that's censorship, so be it.

A number of days later the OP of this thread released a video about the situation. He made several excellent points. He posted the video to the group.

I removed the video from the group. As an admin of the group, that is my right. A facebook group is not a democracy, even so, I PM'd the OP and stated that I felt the video was a good contribution, however the naming of names and in particular the naming of the group was not helpful and would re-inflame the whole situation. I felt that he made a very good sumarry of the situation and that the video should in fact be in the group. I would happily repost it if he would remove those references.

The OP refused.

Time went on by, with minimal issues until another member made a post and made a sweeping generalisation about thyroid, made a generalisation based on her own anecdotal experiences.

The OP took issue with this. And let her know. She conceded his point, and decided to delete her post. Her post, her right I would have thought.

The OP of this thread apparently believed that to be a censorship of his voice and so decided to make a new thread in the group. Again his point was conceded, however, the dialogue continued. This was followed by some exchanges where his point was conceded by a number of people.

The OP seemed to want to make an issue of it. I ask him to desist. As an admin of the group that was what I felt was the best way forward. The OP continued to engage and was removed from the group.

Some days later I was PM'd by a mutual friend. They were concerned as the OP had posted publicly on his timeline that I was a traitor to the AS community, started a group titled Richard Johnson is a traitor to the AS community, and made the video in the OP here.

So that is the history, obviously from my perspective, you can look at my public posts and his public posts and make your own call, but I would state the following to be clear:

Freedom of speech is about the right of a person to not be silenced by government.

A closed facebook group is by design a moderated platform, the creators of that group are in effect the editors of that group. Even if freedom of speech was at issue in the situation it would only apply to the OP having the right to speak, not the right to be published in a moderated forum.

I am labelled a curebie a supporter of woo and pseudoscience. Anyone who has read my blog posts, would no how patently ridiculous such a claim is. If you want to investigate that feel free to read my posts.

The OP of this thread makes claims about personal attacks and ad-hom and doxing. I would simply refer to the fact that it is the OP that produced a video in which screenshots from a closed group are published publicly.

It is the OP of this group that names me as a supporter of woo and in fact declares me to be a special kind of scumbag. I have not engaged in personal insults except to call his claims to be full of ****.

Perhaps it would be better to not comment, however if you don't stand up for yourself then who will?

Apparently I am an anti-advocate yet I have recently had articles published by Huffington Post and The Establishment and GeekClubBooks, I am involved with AutismCRC as a co-author of published pieces. I was recently a member of a panel discussion with respected autistic voices Dr Wenn Lawson and Dr Emma Goodal discussing autism research experiences. I was selected as a member of the AutismCRC research academy in Brisbane last year which trained autistic adults to be co-producers of autism research.

I maintain a facebook page that is all about being proudly autistic and never wanting or needing a cure.
I admin in several facebook groups, some in particular focused against abusive practices performed on autistics.
I own the domain name autisticabuseawareness.com I own the facebook page Autistic Abuse Awareness. I host and manage the website of Emma Dalmayne a high-profile campaigner in London against MMS and other abusive treatments.

I don't believe that sounds very much like an anti-advocate and a traitor. But of course, I leave that judgement to the members here to make for themselves...

Moromillas Radec: This forum is not a place to display media ranting about personal insult. No more such posts in the future.
This thread is being closed. This forum is not to be a personal battleground to settle scores.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom