• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Safe Spaces"

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? I did put it to the group first... They censored, silenced and deplatformed, all while making appalling false accusations.
If they wouldn't listen, then that's not your fault. However, naming and insulting them on Youtube because they wouldn't, well that seems harsh.

However, naming and insulting them on Youtube because they wouldn't, well that seems harsh.
Not naming and insulting either, just applying some legitimate criticism to their ideas and actions. You probably won't like the next video. I basically read out and address some of the hateful comments they left on my video. Making such content is indeed common on youtube, believe it or not.

Youtube is public. You called specific people scumbags in that video - how is that not insulting?

I've been quite tolerant up until now, but I'm just going to leave this here, which is a section of our terms & conditions and covers links to things that insult others...

'You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.'

You called specific people scumbags in that video - how is that not insulting?

It wasn't an insult, it was a conclusion. They did and said all these awful things, and that's what I concluded.

abusive, [...] contains personal information of others

If someone does something awful, it isn't abusive to criticise them for it. And what the? I didn't dox anyone in the video...

likely to offend

What's this? It looks incredibly broad to me. People can (and do) take offense to any little thing. That could very well be declared for the majority of posts.

It wasn't an insult, it was a conclusion. They did and said all these awful things, and that's what I concluded.

If someone does something awful, it isn't abusive to criticise them for it. And what the? I didn't dox anyone in the video...

What's this? It looks incredibly broad to me. People can (and do) take offense to any little thing. That could very well be declared for the majority of posts.
I bolded the things that I think your post is in violation of – being abusive (which includes verbal abuse, and whether or not your 'conclusion' told you that, it's still an insult), and also personal information - names, particularly FB names, which are easily searchable.

You've been warned, please keep it in mind.

I bolded the things that I think your post is in violation of – being abusive (which includes verbal abuse, and whether or not your 'conclusion' told you that, it's still an insult), and also personal information - names, particularly FB names, which are easily searchable.

That's one hell of a stretch.

So, if Speaks puts out some more nonsense, and I call them lairs and scammers in a video, you would then view that as verbal abuse and insulting then.

I mean, damn. I don't know where you live, but in my country, what they did was outright criminal. You don't like them being thought of as scumbags, well sorry, I just think they are.

Saying someone's name doesn't grant access to their private information, FB doesn't work that way.

That's one hell of a stretch.

So, if Speaks puts out some more nonsense, and I call them lairs and scammers in a video, you would then view that as verbal abuse and insulting then.

I mean, damn. I don't know where you live, but in my country, what they did was outright criminal. You don't like them being thought of as scumbags, well sorry, I just think they are.

Saying someone's name doesn't grant access to their private information, FB doesn't work that way.

AS is an organisation, not a private individual.

Posting screenshots of someone's FB handle does, in fact, make them searchable by people who may not have know where to look otherwise.

You can object, but you have also been warned. Please refrain from similar posts in future.

AS is an organisation, not a private individual.

Posting screenshots of someone's FB handle does, in fact, make them searchable by people who may not have know where to look otherwise.

You can object, but you have also been warned. Please refrain from similar posts in future.

Oh ok, the people at the head of the organisation then. Under something that's given such liberties, I pretty much can't criticise any idea or any action, out of fear of it being misrepresented as "abusive" or "insulting." Including that of Speaks.

That doesn't then grant access to private information. It simply isn't the same as doxing.

My next video, looks at hate comments left on my channel, where they posted even more slander and false accusations about me. If I call them liars, and pick apart their nonsense, will that video be thought of as abusive and insulting as well?

I like the idea of "safe spaces," personally. Is every space beneficial to everyone involved? Of course not. But finding a good group with which everyone can share similar experiences is, in my opinion, extremely beneficial, especially when it's working through trauma, addiction, mental illness, and other things. I've benefitted from them. This whole backlash against the idea of a "safe space" seems, to me, a part of the backlash against so-called "political correctness" (which, again, can be taken way too far, but that's a quagmire in itself that I am not touching with a ten-foot pole). Again, there are good groups and there are toxic groups, but you have to bear in mind that society can be a very mean place to be in, and a lot of people, including the groups I mentioned above, can benefit from them in a way that I think a lot of people who haven't been through those situations can't truly understand. It's important to find a place where you can be yourself, and receive peer support; and that "support" doesn't necessarily mean agreeing with everything someone is saying, but to provide compassion, validation, and advice (including advice that the individual may not want to hear) from others who have been in similar situations.

Another thing, living in the rural South, that I've noticed, is in high schools and such you will see "safe spaces" for LGBT kids who are otherwise subject to horrible bullying, not only by their peers but sometimes by the administration itself.

Just my two cents.

I think the issue is sometimes an inbalance in moderation, ranging from being too strict your stuck in fear of expressing yourself or too loosely that people attack others and get away with it and not to mention favoritism and or not enforcing both parties. What is needed is balance and being moderate in order to moderate the situations. The inbalances are what can make a safe place no longer safe. Absolute power corrupts absolutely while no power creates chaos.

Honestly i stay clear of facebook for the most part too much info given out and many online stalkers and bullies. My abusive stepfather has stalked me there so i rarely ever use it. Face Book can be dangerous at times.

I like the idea of "safe spaces," personally.

What part of vicious slander and censorship of AS people do you like? How is that something that you like?

But finding a good group with which everyone can share similar experiences is, in my opinion, extremely beneficial, especially when it's working through trauma, addiction, mental illness, and other things. I've benefitted from them.

That's not how safe spaces work. There is no sharing and discussing those things in a "safe space." Someone will take offence over nothing, you'll be assigned a pathology, then have all sorts of disgusting false accusations brought against you, then your speech will be silenced, just for talking about the things you described. You basically have people making up slander and limiting speech, just for talking about the things you described. Yet you say that's beneficial. How the hell is that beneficial?

This whole backlash against the idea of a "safe space" seems, to me, a part of the backlash against so-called "political correctness".

What...? So me just talking about the spectrum, and posting simple refutations. That's now a "backlash" against political correctness? No it just isn't. How the hell can the most benign of speech be seen as some sort of attack, rather than the slander and the censorship.

Again, there are good groups and there are toxic groups, but you have to bear in mind that society can be a very mean place to be in, and a lot of people, including the groups I mentioned above, can benefit from them in a way that I think a lot of people who haven't been through those situations can't truly understand.

Haven't been though those situations and can't understand.... You make it sound like I'm some sort of curebie that went in and spouted all sorts of hateful intolerance. I've over 3 decades of first hand experience. I'm the administrator for our local social group, where we probably have, combined - over 150 years of real life experience, not childhood, or having a relative, but being an adult on the spectrum. Refuting these "thyroid" issues, as being part of the spectrum, or explaining why combining quackery like EFT with advocacy will damage it, is not some sort of intolerant hate speech. People being upset over those things, it just doesn't then grant them the right to slander and stop people from saying such things. And we're talking about advocacy that they want to stop.

Another thing, living in the rural South, that I've noticed, is in high schools and such you will see "safe spaces" for LGBT kids who are otherwise subject to horrible bullying, not only by their peers but sometimes by the administration itself.

And how horrid would it be, if one of those LGBT kids came under the effect of these "safe spaces," was viciously slandered then silenced and removed based on nonsense. Or would you be saying that the LGBT kid did something wrong?

Sometimes political correctness does go overboard I do agree in that sense, but sometimes a little political correctness is necessary not to be an asshole as well, its just when it goes overboard and you want to vent or express yourself and your censored and your free speech is violated simply for having an opposing opinion, and everyone should have a right to stand up and stick of for themselves if they themselves are offended or fear threatened that their freedom is threatened, and not always stay silent in fear and being oppressed themselves. Like stated before there needs to be balance!

What part of vicious slander and censorship of AS people do you like? How is that something that you like?

That's not how safe spaces work. There is no sharing and discussing those things in a "safe space." Someone will take offence over nothing, you'll be assigned a pathology, then have all sorts of disgusting false accusations brought against you, then your speech will be silenced, just for talking about the things you described. You basically have people making up slander and limiting speech, just for talking about the things you described. Yet you say that's beneficial. How the hell is that beneficial?

What...? So me just talking about the spectrum, and posting simple refutations. That's now a "backlash" against political correctness? No it just isn't. How the hell can the most benign of speech be seen as some sort of attack, rather than the slander and the censorship.

Haven't been though those situations and can't understand.... You make it sound like I'm some sort of curebie that went in and spouted all sorts of hateful intolerance. I've over 3 decades of first hand experience. I'm the administrator for our local social group, where we probably have, combined - over 150 years of real life experience, not childhood, or having a relative, but being an adult on the spectrum. Refuting these "thyroid" issues, as being part of the spectrum, or explaining why combining quackery like EFT with advocacy will damage it, is not some sort of intolerant hate speech. People being upset over those things, it just doesn't then grant them the right to slander and stop people from saying such things. And we're talking about advocacy that they want to stop.

And how horrid would it be, if one of those LGBT kids came under the effect of these "safe spaces," was viciously slandered then silenced and removed based on nonsense. Or would you be saying that the LGBT kid did something wrong?
I find it sickening members of the LGBT community are promised a safe place only to be bullied in the south like that, its a trap and a non safe place. Sometimes bullies make bait for false promises of a safe haven to be only to abuse them more and its disgusting! I dont stand for that and frown upon that stuff, but in a sence the south is part of the bible belt and many are against homosexuality not all, not trying to generalize here, there are a few decent level headed christians fine with homosexuality or indifferent to it as well.

I don't see the need for them either, in the sense that I don't see how they would help me, or others, to be 'safe'. I do, though, see the correlation between these kinds of FB groups, and every other kind of club in the world, that are usually designed for people who agree with each other to talk about things on which they agree. They find that safe, and I suppose it is, but only for those who agree.

Going in to a group that mostly agrees with each other, and doing something or saying something that goes against the current, well that'll get you chucked out as a rule, and it's a FB group, not the UN.

I dunno, I keep out of organised advocacy groups for this reason, and other reasons, but I don't know that calling specific people out by name, and sharing posts from what I can only imagine is a closed group, is the way to go to combat like-minded people gathering in a place in which to agree with each other.

I work on a university campus, so it goes beyond a mere advocacy group, so-to-speak. I'm not sure if it's part of university policy or is something encouraged by and protected by the university. I suspect the reason I "get along" is because I do not attack or comment on one's views, beliefs, etc. If asked, I'll respectfully state my position and offer support as to why, but without making some sort of attack. I guess around me my space is a safe space.o_O

I find it sickening members of the LGBT community are promised a safe place only to be bullied in the south like that, its a trap and a non safe place. Sometimes bullies make bait for false promises of a safe haven to be only to abuse them more and its disgusting! I dont stand for that and frown upon that stuff, but in a sence the south is part of the bible belt and many are against homosexuality not all, not trying to generalize here, there are a few decent level headed christians fine with homosexuality or indifferent to it as well.

It's not just the south that such behavior takes place. Furthermore, simply because a Christian does not agree with one's lifestyle does not make them "un-levelheaded." I know plenty of non-Christians that disagree with such lifestyles and have demonstrated cruelty beyond anything "un-levelheaded Christians" would perpetrate.

It's not just the south that such behavior takes place. Furthermore, simply because a Christian does not agree with one's lifestyle does not make them "un-levelheaded." I know plenty of non-Christians that disagree with such lifestyles and have demonstrated cruelty beyond anything "un-levelheaded Christians" would perpetrate.
The deepest hatred and cruelty that I keep seeing (including from non-Christians) has not been towards gay people and homosexuality-it is towards trans-people.

Last edited:

This is a safe space Moromillas, they do exist in places on the internet. Here you have a membership for life, if you choose to and you won't be banned for advocating for autism. What happened to you on facebook was unfair, was cruel. Because you are right about 'cures' and eft and many of the other indications of 'snake oil salesmanship.' People in the general population don't' really understand Asperger's or autism, it seems that only some of the people with it truly understand it. It's not a disease that can be cured by potions made of bleach and stem cells, it is not something that we caught. We were born with it.

You have strong views about Asperger's and that may at times make other people angry and vindictive. But fighting for what you believe is important. Don't let the 'controllers' have the right of way, you too could begin your own facebook group if you so desired. Being tormented by people is not something that helps anyone, it would make me bitter and angry as well. Yet, I would keep coming back with my point of view until people listened.

Welcome to Asperger's Central.

Why is AS advocacy being equated to hate speech against gay people?

When someone is pushing onto the community this woo and quackery that robs people of genuine treatment, and can potentially harm or even kill them. If someone explains why such a thing is so harmful, what part of that is similar to hate speech against gays?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom