• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Removing Trending Searches/Can I Use Firefox?

Riley

I've been trying to remove the Trending Searches from appearing when I use Microsoft Edge on my Acer (Well, actually, my family tried to do it). Is there any way to do so?

And if that fails, can you install/use Firefox on a Acer computer?

Assuming this is on a Windows 10 platform, first you should determine what the source of trending searches for Microsoft Edge actually is. Whether it is a "PUP" doing this. (A potentially unwanted program such as a BHO - a browser helper object.) Often the result of installing freeware, where you may or may not be advised as to the installation of other programs beyond the one you wanted in the first place. These can include legitimate programs paired with various types of freeware that a user is simply unaware of when they install the software they thought they were getting.

Check within the control panel under "programs and features" just to see if this is something you can conventionally uninstall. That if you can simply get rid of the program, do so. There are also other potential methods of deleting such software within the browser itself.

If not, then it may be the product of malware that may function no matter what browser you install. I know in the past a program like "Hijack This!" was very good at uninstalling hostile browser helper objects for various browsers. Though I believe the program is no longer supported by Trend Micro. You might search for other more up-to-date freeware programs like Malwarebytes" that may detect and delete such BHOs as well.

How to remove Trending Search [Chrome, Firefox, IE, Edge]

In essence, be careful when downloading software that you are only installing what you want. And that whenever you see boxes checked to install additional software, be sure to uncheck them, or expect more software than you bargained for. Whether it actually helps you or not... :oops:

Last edited:
Of course you can.

I have an acer laptop and use firefox.

I find microsoft edge to be just as useless as all the others that come with the computer.

I find microsoft edge to be just as useless as all the others that come with the computer.

Microsoft gave up on their in-house browser some eight months ago. Opting instead to use the same open-source browser engine that powers Google Chrome.

Though personally I still prefer Firefox over all of them. With Chrome maintaining a vast majority of the international browser market share.

Microsoft is rebuilding its Edge browser on Chrome and bringing it to the Mac

Though in Riley's case she should first determine the source of her trending searches before simply installing a completely different browser. At least to learn whether or not she may have a BHO that may hijack only Edge, or other browsers as well.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom