• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Relatable Music

jleeb05

V.I.P Member
I would imagine a similar thread might already exist but I couldn't find it. Are there songs that you find particularly relatable, especially to experiences, feelings, traits you might have as a result of being of the spectrum?

I have a bunch of songs that feel relevant and I've included a few of my favorites below. Granted my music tastes skew toward pop but do you relate to any of the sentiments in these songs? What songs would you add?

My Kind of Love Emelie Sande
I find this song relatable because it's about a love that isn't loud or performative but still very deep. This song is essentially saying, "I'm not going to be dancing around, declaring my love for you, but when you need me, I'll be there." I may not be very outwardly affectionate but when I love, I love deeply. I feel that's a sentiment other aspies might understand.

Cut to the Feeling Carly Rae Jepsen
Carly Jepsen's Call Me Maybe is also a song I think aspies can relate to, especially the lines: "Hey, I just met you, and this is crazy/ But here's my number, so call me maybe/ It's hard to look right at you, baby/But here's my number, so call me maybe." Still, we couldn't escape that song a few years ago so I chose Cut to the Feeling instead. For me, dating and flirting can be tough because I want to go deep, pretty quickly. Forget the awkward small talk, let's talk about your hopes, fears, trauma, etc. To me, that's essentially what this song is saying. Let's skip ahead and cut to the feeling.

The Way I Am Charlie Puth
"Maybe I'ma get a little anxious/ Maybe I'ma get a little shy/ 'Cause everybody's trying to be famous/ And I'm just trying to find a place to hide (oh)/ All I wanna do is just hold somebody/But no one ever wants to get to know somebody" This is a good song for anyone who's tired of masking and just wants to be themselves.

Modern Loneliness Lauv
I think many aspies or those with social anxiety can relate to this: "Modern loneliness, we're never alone/ But always depressed, yeah/ Love my friends to death/ But I never call and I never text, yeah."

Wild Horses Natasha Bedingfield
This song is about wanting to break free from your anxiety or hesitations. Who can't relate to that?

I could go but I'll stop there for now. Admittedly, my musical taste skews toward pop but I'm curious about others. What songs do you find relatable?

Last edited:
"This song is about wanting to break free from your anxiety or hesitations. Who can't relate to that?"

This is my freedom and love song:

I love all music but instrumental music or music without words will always be at the top of my list. I think it's because without words, you can make the meaning to whatever you want it to be, or whatever you're feeling at the moment. Part of the reason why I love movie scores. They're 50% of how you interpret and relate to the scenes.

I have too many to choose from but this one is relatable: it's from Stranger Things when Eleven meets a gang of kids who escaped like she did and she realizes they have similar abilities (powers) she does. The leader of the gang, Kali, tells her that she shouldn't let scientists with the government limit her powerful abilities as they were doing before. That she has special gifts that she should learn to harness that they were holding her back from. It's the first time she realizes she's not alone and that there are others like her. If that's not relatable as an Aspie, I dunno what is :D.

Last edited:

I love all music but instrumental music or music without words will always be at the top of my list. I think it's because without words, you can make the meaning to whatever you want it to be, or whatever you're feeling at the moment. Part of the reason why I love movie scores. They're 50% of how you interpret and relate to the scenes.

I have too many to choose from but this one is relatable: it's from Stranger Things when Eleven meets a gang of kids who escaped like she did and she realizes they have similar abilities (powers) she does. The leader of the gang, Kali, tells her that she shouldn't let scientists with the government limit her powerful abilities as they were doing before. That she has special gifts that she should learn to harness that they were holding her back from. If that's not relatable as an Aspie, I dunno what is :D.
This runs my mind through several adventures I’ve had ...

Relatable for many things, but on an off day, was at the shore of Batam, an Indonesian Island where I was working, and the line came on; "And you may find yourself, in another part of the world." By my favorite autistic musician, David Byrne.

Last edited:
Keane (artist) Song - Somewhere Only We Know

This song makes me cry, he sings l am getting tired, when are you going to let me in..........

It's piano, vocal, words - accept my love. Of course l dedicate it to someone special.

Bend and Break (another beautiful song)
Untitled 1 (haunting type song)

Last edited:

This is what's happening in my mind when people are talking endlessly at me about "important" things.

And that's the best I can do, it's the only bit of music I have that has anything at least somewhat resembling "lyrics" in it. Normally I dont like lyrics in music, it gets in the way and is usually inane, but I made an exception for this one for what are probably obvious reasons.

This was me a a teen, but then I was more oppositional since how can I trust anybody in authority when they neglected me. Still do not.

Then, this . . . it doesn't speak to me, it yells. Some phrases are thoughts that I've had at rock bottom.

Last edited:
"This song is about wanting to break free from your anxiety or hesitations. Who can't relate to that?"

This is my freedom and love song:

I've never heard this but I really enjoyed it!

That's interesting. There are a few instrumental shared in this thread so I think others might agree with you. I love movie scores as well. The Epilogue to La La Land sometimes has me in tears. I think it invokes so many emotions (hope, sadness, grief, joy) without any words at all.

Also, love The Game of Thrones theme song.

Keane (artist) Song - Somewhere Only We Know

This song makes me cry, he sings l am getting tired, when are you going to let me in..........

It's piano, vocal, words - accept my love. Of course l dedicate it to someone special.

This is one of my all-time favorites as well. I usually think of it during autumn when the leaves are falling.

I love movie scores as well. The Epilogue to La La Land sometimes has me in tears. I think it invokes so many emotions (hope, sadness, grief, joy) without any words at all.
Spectacular, of course. Still, for me, the intro, Another Day of Sun, is a bold, vibrant, number, establishing a sense of place, a backdrop on which everything hangs.

What's going on by four non blonds, almost gets me to tears when I hear it sort of the story of our lives when your an Apsie. should be our anthem.

@Gerald Wilgus
Once in a Life Time by Talking Heads is one of my top favourites I relate to.
The video and lyrics always make me smile. :)

A few others could be Paul Simon- I am a Rock

The Wall- Pink Floyd

Whitesnake- Drifter

As you can see, I am an '80s fan.

My freedom/happy song is Come Sail Away -Styx
Sing along everytime or sometimes alone while walking in woods.

One that reminds me of why I am now lonely...

Relatable for many things, but on an off day, was at the shore of Batam, an Indonesian Island where I was working, and the line came on; "And you may find yourself, in another part of the world." By my favorite autistic musician, David Byrne.

I was listeninig to David Byrne 2 months in the row,each day. He is brilliant! I could day he is a rare talent :D

My favourite song of his is: " And she was " .

My favourite song is Black from Pearl Jam. It sings to my heart. I realized this year that i am not feeling great most of the time .

My favourite song is Black from Pearl Jam. It sings to my heart. I realized this year that i am not feeling great most of the time .

I've never heard this. I like it. They don't sound all that similar but for some reason, this reminds me of Creep by Radiohead

"Cut people out like tags on my clothing" I wonder if he's on the spectrum. That's an aspie lyric if I've ever heard one.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom