• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Recent Diagnosis of High-Functioning Autism

Clay Major

Indifferent
V.I.P Member
Can't say I'm quite thrilled about doing this, nor can I say I'm irritated, just indifferent.

I find that many individuals think Autism cases are all the same, or similar to one another. However, that is not the case. That is why it is referred to as a spectrum. Of course, many of you know this given the nature of this site. To start off this thread, I'll provide a much information as possible on who I am and the state of my condition.

I was recently diagnosed with High-Functioning Autism at the age of seventeen. My reaction to this? Indifference. My parents? A sigh of relief.

Growing up, I appeared to be an ordinary, shy, child. My deficits, if you will, are subtle enough to allow me to appear as a normal individual to the everyday passerby. Though, if you got to know me, and you had relative experience in dealing with Autism, then you'd suspect a thing or two.

During my infancy to toddler development, my parents grew concerned. I did not develop the ability to speak until the age of two, but when I did I spoke in a manner such as you're reading now. (Early language delay). There was no baby talk, as they call it. Before reaching the age of two, my parents took me to a pediatrician to see what was wrong. His conclusion was that they could spend all the money to get me tested for Autism, but they're just going to tell you what I am telling you now, he may or may not be Autistic. (High-Functioning Autism was not a term used at the time). With this information in mind, they decided to wait and see how I would develop over the course of my toddler years.

After developing the ability to talk especially well, my parents disregarded what the pediatrician said and treated me like a normal child up until this past year. I grew up with an older brother with a seven year difference between us. He was a very social child, which benefited me due to him receiving all the attention.

Entering primary school, I did not know how to count until first grade, nor could I read up until that point as well. Now-a-days, all I do is read. The lady who was charged with teaching me how to read took note that while I couldn't understand literature, I was overhearing fifth grade course work and able to understand the concepts well. Eventually, reading and writing became understandable. From then on until my junior year of secondary schooling, everyone thought I was another ordinary individual.

Since I barely talked, no one would be able to know me by personality traits. My brother was off and away since I started high school, so now all the attention was on me. My mother attempted many times to have extended conversations with me, only becoming more worried with my stoic demeanor after each one. A boiling point was reached and she and my father both agreed to send me to a therapist. The intention was never to see what sort of inhibiting condition I possessed, but to get me to open up on my feelings. After a month into weekly therapy, I was told that I may have a condition called High-Funtioning Autism.

After discussing and reviewing notes, my therapist explained to me what all it entails and how to get tested. I inevitably did receive testing and it was confirmed that I had High-Functioning Autism. My condition entails numerous symptoms. Most notably little emotions and a lack of genuine empathy. Others include an inability to understand sarcasm and a constant state of indifference, lacking motivation and desires.

My therapist suggested I visit this site and introduce myself on these forums to get a better understanding of those in a community I am innately apart of. Thank you for reading this post. Feel free to ask questions, I do not mind.

Wow! Thank you for that elaborate background. It was very helpful in understanding your current situation.

I have only just found out about my situation being very similar to yours. My parents however were not supportive and certainly will not accept this diagnosis. I think it is a good idea to continue to speak with this therapist, there are only positives and new learning opportunities to be had from it. I've been to a number myself, and every one has a different take on life, so make sure you get along with and trust the person you're talking with, if not, find a new one!

I honestly think, given my recent acknowledgement of high functioning Asperger's, it may be best to continue through your life as if you are normal, that there is nothing wrong with you. Continue to do things as all others are your age, live your life without limitations, just add a bit of research and understanding that some social interactions and situations may not feel right or you may struggle to pick up friends than others. Continue to learn and grow within yourself, but above all, be patient with yourself!

You have a lot you can offer the world in other areas of your cognitive thinking and processes, and in the field of science you will meet many like minded people. Good luck and remember, this is not a disability, it's just a label for a different way of thinking.

Hi Clay

welcome to af.png

Hi & Welcome,
'Can't say I'm quite thrilled about doing this, nor can I say I'm irritated, just indifferent.'

Hi Clay. From all the research I've done after learning about my diagnosis, I have learned that aspergers is now part of the spectrum and I agree it should be, but because of this they are putting aspergers and high functioning autism as the same when I have found there to be 2 noted differences. Aspergers you learn to talk early in life and have an above average IQ, while HF autism you learn to talk late and have an average IQ. But all the other traits are basically the same. I didn't learn to talk until I was in second grade. I still prefer not to talk, which is one reason I never liked playing with other kids my age (you had to talk to them). But when I do get in that occasionally talkative mode I don't know when to stop. lol
Welcome to the forum - I'm still fairly new and loving it - I like knowing there are others out there with the same quirks and understanding. I hope you get just as much out of it.

New Threads

Top Bottom