• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Reading obsession

Cogitatio

V.I.P Member
I love to read and that tends to isolate me. So when I am with my partner I get agitated that I don't have time to read. So to solve this I created a room into a library of all my books (all reference books) and sometimes its enough just to go into my library and look at the books I have yet to read (read the covers). Its a good enough fix to get me by in a dry spell lol.

Anyone else a readaholic? how do you find the time?

I would not call this an obsession, in the true definitive meaning of the word. But I understand and relate to what you are saying. My "obsession" is research. This came about when I would take, at face value so-to-speak, what the "main stream" medias (books, magazines, news, state accredited education, etc.) would state as truth. Later I would find out that what I was "passing on" as truth was actually fabrications. Now I research everything thoroughly! This involves a lot of reading so I guess I can be viewed as a read-aholic.

I'm such a readaholic that I once had a meltdown visiting a paper recycling plant because I was trying to read all the stacks of discarded newspapers, magazines and boxes and it was too much to read. It made me very anxious.
At home I rarely find time to read so I just display the books I still want to read. I find pleasure in knowing I will read those books some day and they have new information for me yet to be discovered. It used to make me anxious but since I switched my view to watching them as undiscovered stories, I rarely get anxious about them anymore.

I spend hours reading the labels on things, so if I go to the store I make sure I don't have any time constraints. :confused:

I love to read and that tends to isolate me. So when I am with my partner I get agitated that I don't have time to read. So to solve this I created a room into a library of all my books (all reference books) and sometimes its enough just to go into my library and look at the books I have yet to read (read the covers). Its a good enough fix to get me by in a dry spell lol.

Anyone else a readaholic? how do you find the time?
I read constantly. Started as soon as I discovered books. I think mainly it was (and to a large extent still is) a form of escape. Through books I could have friends, adventures, and travel to other places and worlds. I also have an extensive library of reference books which I frequently refer to, and sometimes read just for entertainment.

Similar to Bedlamite, my obsession is also research & study. Read thousands of books, Ebooks, articles, reports, you name it. Websites and blogs. However if there is an audiobook version available will use that as it gives the freedom to visualize what the speaker is talking about... and gives the overused retina's a break, before they break. :S

Lol

I would not call this an obsession, in the true definitive meaning of the word. But I understand and relate to what you are saying. My "obsession" is research. This came about when I would take, at face value so-to-speak, what the "main stream" medias (books, magazines, news, state accredited education, etc.) would state as truth. Later I would find out that what I was "passing on" as truth was actually fabrications. Now I research everything thoroughly! This involves a lot of reading so I guess I can be viewed as a read-aholic.
My reading is research in that way. I only read text books to work out how the world works in all subjects. So I suppose its the same.

I'm such a readaholic that I once had a meltdown visiting a paper recycling plant because I was trying to read all the stacks of discarded newspapers, magazines and boxes and it was too much to read. It made me very anxious.
At home I rarely find time to read so I just display the books I still want to read. I find pleasure in knowing I will read those books some day and they have new information for me yet to be discovered. It used to make me anxious but since I switched my view to watching them as undiscovered stories, I rarely get anxious about them anymore.
That's exactly how I see it.

I am constantly researching something that got my attention. This is why I think that the internet is a wonderful thing. All that information at my finger tips. Gone are all of those encyclopedia sets that were not completely current when they were new. I read the newspaper every day and various service manuals. But most of what I read is on the internet.

I am constantly researching something that got my attention. This is why I think that the internet is a wonderful thing. All that information at my finger tips. Gone are all of those encyclopedia sets that were not completely current when they were new. I read the newspaper every day and various service manuals. But most of what I read is on the internet.
Agree, the internet is great for research. I'm always using it to fill gaps in my knowledge. Remember, the wonderful thing about the internet is that anyone can post anything. The terrifying thing about the internet is that anyone can post anything. Use extreme judiciousness.

I can remember when I learned to read well enough that all the signs in the city suddenly had meaning, and I remember reading them compulsively everywhere I went, for years, every word on every sign, menu, billboard, etc. I bet that helped me get good at it! :eek:

I didn't start reading books voluntarily until fourth grade when the Lord of the Rings movies came out and I lied to someone that I had read them then I felt bad and actually read them. :rolleyes: They were my favorite books for about a decade! :)

Agree, the internet is great for research. I'm always using it to fill gaps in my knowledge. Remember, the wonderful thing about the internet is that anyone can post anything. The terrifying thing about the internet is that anyone can post anything. Use extreme judiciousness.

And in-between? Various middlemen who do control what you read and limit what you have access to. Even when we think we've discovered something real, accurate and unrestricted.
If there's nothing new under the sun the internet is a mime of ether. 2nd only to that,The internet is the biggest library in existence. Except, the librarians here carry large key chains not unlike a jailer where much of what people need is kept locked away. Upon release / declassification they rip the prisoners pages out, pry them open and ink over critical parts which tie it all together. However sometimes when walking past we can peer through a crack in the wall into the secret libraries before the mortar crew arrives to patch it.

New Threads

Top Bottom