• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rayner's adventure in Lubbock

I tried to answer you questions Vinca, sorry I hope it's not to long. I tend to ramble.

All of my tools, are my favorite tools.:p One of my favorite tools is my tools in my worm-drive skill saw. I like it because it's light weight considering the size and power of the motor, it cuts through practically anything I need to cut through, it's cuts cleanly and precisely. Considering it's a hand held power tool it's really heavy.

Another of my favorite tool's is my Estwing framing hammer. It has a waffle pattern on the face of the head. The waffle pattern improves in gripping the head of the fastener(nail,staple, pin,etc) by not sliding off. The front claw do not have a curve to them like most lighter hammer do, the protrude out straight at roughly 90 degrees from handle. Not only could I use the claws for removing fastners but also as a pry bar or has a way of manipulating what ever I'm working on. My framing hammer is one of my essential tools, for such a basic tools in its use and design there's not really anything out there that can take it's place. I could go on and on about my hammer, but it's pretty straight forward. The particular hammer I use has a 32 ounce head and the handle is 18 to 20 inches in length. I bet you can just imagine the sizes and quantity of nails I'm pounding in on a day in and day out and no there quite as large rail road spikes.:p:D:rolleyes:

Although the aren't really tools but I think they are worth mentioning. Framers Like most other tradesmen have a need for quality footwear,glove and tool storage system. I take great consideration in my footwear and my tool storage, although I'm not sure how interested you would find me talking about my toolrig and workboots.

Well the reason I like working with work/framing is kind of a difficult question so I am going to break into two separate questions to answer. Like we talked about earlier, I don't work with lumber exclusively. I big reason I like Framing is I despite my work not looking near as aesthetically pleasing than let's say the work of a master furniture builder I still have get the satisfaction of knowing that my work and skills are appreciated. I like that with framing the tools I use are for the most part quite simple. I like that I can do a lot of things with few simple tools. Much what applies in Framing also can apply to other fields of work. I particularly enjoy the looking at building when only the frame is complete but nothing else because it's almost like looking at the skeleton of the building. There's lots of math involved with framing, math that you can actually see looking at only the frame of the building.

Wood like other natural materials is very fascinating to work with and as material. Wood is a very versatile material, especially with you think about all of the different kinds of wood carpenters use. Each different type of wood has it's own Unique set of properties that make it the ideal wood to use for a particular application. In a way wood behaves like leather does. Just as a basic example when wood gets wet it expands and when leather gets wet it also expands.

Last edited:
This Friday I will be drive back out Lubbock to Finnish this construction job. I'm bringing on of my good friends along to help me with the framing. Hopefully we can get this Job finnished up in about a week or week and a half. With the exception of my manager being a next to useless and not having the best logicistical support this has been one of the better jobs I've worked. Normally I'm not this lucky when it comes to working with a crew as great as these guys.

After this job is finnished I've have another land management job, fortunately this one won't be an out-of-town job.

Well I'm back in Lubbock, working at the stockyards. My buddy and I drove in on Friday, got set up at the hotel. I actually got to go visit my granddad's west Texas and I spent Sunday with my granddad. :):)

Yes, I've got another job lined up after this is Finnished up. Granted that's not always the case, the nature of this kind of work is very feast or famine. The job that is lined up is going to Be land management job, I'm not sure exactly what that will involve yet.

Besides construction, I also get what's called land management by the company I work for. What a land management Is when I'm hired to do the upkeep on someone's land. Often times what that involves thing like mowing acres of land,spraying fertilizer, thinning out the excess Brush, building fire breaks,thinning out trees that aren't healthily, etc.

The company I work for is located in rural east Texas. So "land management" is a sort of a niche role that my employer tries to fill.

Sounds like everything is going pretty good. Do you have a project lined out for when this one finishes? Most of the guys I know that do contractor work usually have something on the horizon about a week or so before the project they're working on ends.

You should check them, the company I work foris privately owned by a guy that worked for a commercial nursery for 18 years, only to be screwed out of his job. I started for. working for only a month or two after he started his company.

Anyway. "Land management" (or sometimes also called "land maintenance")That we do is on deer leases,cattle pastures, etc.

Hmm, sounds pretty interesting. I might have to check them out in 44 months and 7 days when I retire. I've always wanted to live in Texas.

New Threads

Top Bottom