• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Rayner's adventure in Lubbock

Im planning on checking out the buddy holly statue and maybe the Texas Tech campus. I've got friend that goes to Texas Tech, infact he is on their triathlon team. If he's in town I going to see Brad. :D

I've noticed that with bosses; they expect production and results.:D Nevertheless, set aside a little "Me time" and check out the Buddy Holly statue, take in some nightlife, etc.

It's for an update

Well my first day came and went, now it's 3:00 on my second day. The project is already some what behind schedule as not the Steel I-beams are at the jobsite yet. Until all the building material gets to the jobsite there will be a lot of hurry up and waiting.:cool:

On the brighter side I'm the only framer on the crew so I get work mostly alone.

This is one interesting construction project to be honest

Would anyone be Interested in the detail of the construction projects I'm working on?

Last edited:
For this job the crew and I are working to expand,renovation and constructioning to an existing set of stockyards. I'm currently working on build what will be holding stalls for show stock, now that enough steel I-beams are here. This is unlike most construction jobs I've done in the past.

Say Sporterster haven't you held about 77 jobs in your lifetime, was construction ever one of them?

Yeah, share with us what it is you're doing!!! I know it would be more interesting than me sharing about my job; changed a light bulb in a room, adjusted a door closer, etc.:rolleyes:

The Construction is the easiest aspect of what I'm working on because it's the most straightforward part of the jobs. The renovation aspect is really what makes it unlike any other job I've worked. Being a framer renovation isn't something I do very often. Most people I encounter don't know what a framing or what a framer is.

Wow, that sounds like an intense job. I hope the smell is better than the ones I passed in Amarillo . . . UGH!!!:eek:

Yep, I've had over 70 jobs. I'd have to look at the list but it has been somewhere between 75 and 77; I can't recall off the top of my head. Oddly, I have never done construction, which is about the only type of work I have never done. I've helped friends build or remodel, but have never done it professionally.

We are doing some demolition to parts of the stockyards. Before starting on the stalls I had to remove the Tin roofing and anything else that could potentially fall or collapse. I'm going to salvage as much of the raw material I can,but since it wasn't constructed well and exposed(neglected) I'm afraid there's not going to be much in the way of salvageable material.

I hope I didn't forget anything these are the tools I've been using for demolition.
-Estwing framing hammer
-36 inch hexagonal pry bar
-Flat bar "wonder" bar
-Cat's paw
-reciprocating sawzal
-18 inch automotive style prybar
-beater 3/4 inch chisel
-sledgehammer
-Philips #2 and #3 sized screwdivers
-tin snips
-lineman pliers

Since you're doing renovation, do you have to do any demolition as part of the process? That is to say, do you have to remove walls, roofing, etc?

A Cat's paw sole purpose is to pull nails out of lumber. I foud a link that describes what I'm referring to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat's_paw_(nail_puller). I'm sure you probably have one around somewhere.

I carry most of that above in my Toolrig's when I'm doing demolition work. What I carry in my pouches changes depending on the type of work I'm doing whether it be framing,layout,demolition or electrical just to name a few. You strive for a balance of having everything you need with out weighing you down.

It's for an update

Well my first day came and went, now it's 3:00 on my second day. The project is already some what behind schedule as not the Steel I-beams are at the jobsite yet. Until all the building material gets to the jobsite there will be a lot of hurry up and waiting.:cool:

On the brighter side I'm the only framer on the crew so I get work mostly alone.

This is one interesting construction project to be honest

Would anyone be Interested in the detail of the construction projects I'm working on?

Yer, I sure would be interested in the detail of the construction projects your working on. :)

The Construction is the easiest aspect of what I'm working on because it's the most straightforward part of the jobs. The renovation aspect is really what makes it unlike any other job I've worked. Being a framer renovation isn't something I do very often. Most people I encounter don't know what a framing or what a framer is.

What is a framer/framing? Does it involve door frames?

Framing is a type of sub speciality of carpentry and construction, a framer is some that does framing. It involves the construction of a building structure, things like walls, roofs, stairs, decks, things like that.

Yer, I sure would be interested in the detail of the construction projects your working on. :)

I'm sure you would probably have one. I would also wager that you probably have mistaken it as a prybar. Only To find out that it makes a rather poor prybar.

Oh yeah, your mini-camper, I know all about those as I happen to live in a camper although my camper has two axles and is from bumper to coupler is 36 feet long. My camper is also just over 35 years old if my math is correct. My trailer is an 1979 Avon travel trailer.

Ah, I do have one of those. I never realized it was called a "cat's paw." It's in one of the tote boxes I have stored a lot of my tools in. I probably should find it for when I start to build my mini camper.

Did I answer your questions well enough for you?

Do you have a better understanding of what I do?

Framing is a type of sub speciality of carpentry and construction, a framer is some that does framing. It involves the construction of a building structure, things like walls, roofs, stairs, decks, things like that.

Did I answer your questions well enough for you?

Do you have a better understanding of what I do?

Thank you for having replied to my question :)

I have a better understanding of what you do. I also have some more questions.

So, would a framer work with whatever materials are necessary to put together the structure of the building and then trades people (I'm not sure if this is the correct term) would add to the building eg an electrician would put in the wiring and a plumber the plumbing etc, until it is completed?

Are there specific names which are used to describe people who work within carpentry and construction, who aren't framers eg builders, carpenters etc?

How does the job of a framer differ from that of a builder?

To anwer your first question framers traditionally typically only would build things out of lumber, over time buildings codes have become more stringent so as a result framers have begun to use other materials other than lumber. As An example This job in particular one of the structures we are building will have steel I-beams holding up parts of the building.

For your second question It depends, I've done some basic plumbing and electrical work and I may do some on this job. Specialized tradesmen Plumbers, electricians, HVAC, framers, Masonry and bricklayers, ironworkers,etc, often time can/do cross into other disciplines for basic things. There are somethings that unless you have the training and/or the special tools, like HVAC you simple can't do.

There are separate names for subdisplines of carpentry and construction. I'ved copied and pasted a section of a Wikipedia article on carpentry. I think this explains it better when it comes to the different subdisplines of carpentry and their specific names.

"Types and occupations cabinetry, furniture making, fine woodworking, model building, instrument making, parquetry, joinery, or other carpentry where exact joints and minimal margins of error are important. Some large-scale construction may be of an exactitude and artistry that it is classed as finish carpentry.

A carpenter and joiner is one who has a much broader skill ranging from joinery, finishing carpentry, building construction and form work.

A trim carpenter specializes in molding and trim, such as door and window casings, mantels, baseboards, and other types of ornamental work. Cabinet installers may also be referred to as trim carpenters.

A cabinetmaker is a carpenter who does fine and detailed work specializing in the making of cabinets made from wood, wardrobes, dressers, storage chests, and other furniture designed for storage.

A ship's carpenter specializes in shipbuilding, maintenance, repair techniques and carpentry specific to nautical needs in addition to many other on-board tasks; usually the term refers to a carpenter who has a post on a specific ship. Steel warships as well as wooden ones need ship's carpenters, especially for making emergency repairs in the case of battle or storm damage.

A shipwright builds wooden ships on land.

A cooper is someone who makes barrels: wooden staved vessels of a conical form, of greater length than breadth.

A scenic carpenter builds and dismantles temporary scenery and sets in film-making, television, and the theater.

A framer is a carpenter who builds the skeletal structure or wooden framework of buildings, most often in the platform framing method. Historically, balloon framing was used until the 1950s when fire safety concerns made platform framing inherently better. A carpenter who specializes in building with timbers rather than studs is known as a timber framer and does traditional timber framing with wooden joints, including mortise-and-tenon joinery, post and beam work with metal connectors, or pole building framing.

A luthier is someone who makes or repairs stringed instruments. The word luthier comes from the French word for lute, "luth".

A log builder builds structures of stacked, horizontal logs including houses, barns, churches, fortifications, and more.

A formwork carpenter creates the shuttering and falsework used in concrete construction.

In Japanese carpentry, daiku is the simple term for carpenter, a miya-daiku (temple carpenter) performs the work of both architect and builder of shrines and temples, and a sukiya-daiku works on teahouse construction and houses. Sashimono-shi build furniture and tateguya do interior finishing work.[20]

A restoration carpenter is a carpenter who works in historic building restoration, someone who restores a structure to a former state.

A conservation carpenter works in architectural conservation, known in the U.S. as a "preservation carpenter" who works in historic preservation, someone who keeps structures from changing.

Green carpentry is the specialization in the use of environmentally friendly,[21] energy-efficient[22] and sustainable[23] sources of building materials for use in construction projects. They also practice building methods that require using less material and material that has the same structural soundness.[24]"

Framing differs from other types of building. When it comes to the material,techniques,tools, things like that.

Did I anwer all your questions? Does all of that make any sense? I'm happy to anwer anymore questions you may have.:)

Thank you for having replied to my question :)

I have a better understanding of what you do. I also have some more questions.

So, would a framer work with whatever materials are necessary to put together the structure of the building and then trades people (I'm not sure if this is the correct term) would add to the building eg an electrician would put in the wiring and a plumber the plumbing etc, until it is completed?

Are there specific names which are used to describe people who work within carpentry and construction, who aren't framers eg builders, carpenters etc?

How does the job of a framer differ from that of a builder?

To anwer your first question framers traditionally typically only would build things out of lumber, over time buildings codes have become more stringent so as a result framers have begun to use other materials other than lumber. As An example This job in particular one of the structures we are building will have steel I-beams holding up parts of the building.

For your second question It depends, I've done some basic plumbing and electrical work and I may do some on this job. Specialized tradesmen Plumbers, electricians, HVAC, framers, Masonry and bricklayers, ironworkers,etc, often time can/do cross into other disciplines for basic things. There are somethings that unless you have the training and/or the special tools, like HVAC you simple can't do.

There are separate names for subdisplines of carpentry and construction. I'ved copied and pasted a section of a Wikipedia article on carpentry. I think this explains it better when it comes to the different subdisplines of carpentry and their specific names.

"Types and occupations cabinetry, furniture making, fine woodworking, model building, instrument making, parquetry, joinery, or other carpentry where exact joints and minimal margins of error are important. Some large-scale construction may be of an exactitude and artistry that it is classed as finish carpentry.

A carpenter and joiner is one who has a much broader skill ranging from joinery, finishing carpentry, building construction and form work.

A trim carpenter specializes in molding and trim, such as door and window casings, mantels, baseboards, and other types of ornamental work. Cabinet installers may also be referred to as trim carpenters.

A cabinetmaker is a carpenter who does fine and detailed work specializing in the making of cabinets made from wood, wardrobes, dressers, storage chests, and other furniture designed for storage.

A ship's carpenter specializes in shipbuilding, maintenance, repair techniques and carpentry specific to nautical needs in addition to many other on-board tasks; usually the term refers to a carpenter who has a post on a specific ship. Steel warships as well as wooden ones need ship's carpenters, especially for making emergency repairs in the case of battle or storm damage.

A shipwright builds wooden ships on land.

A cooper is someone who makes barrels: wooden staved vessels of a conical form, of greater length than breadth.

A scenic carpenter builds and dismantles temporary scenery and sets in film-making, television, and the theater.

A framer is a carpenter who builds the skeletal structure or wooden framework of buildings, most often in the platform framing method. Historically, balloon framing was used until the 1950s when fire safety concerns made platform framing inherently better. A carpenter who specializes in building with timbers rather than studs is known as a timber framer and does traditional timber framing with wooden joints, including mortise-and-tenon joinery, post and beam work with metal connectors, or pole building framing.

A luthier is someone who makes or repairs stringed instruments. The word luthier comes from the French word for lute, "luth".

A log builder builds structures of stacked, horizontal logs including houses, barns, churches, fortifications, and more.

A formwork carpenter creates the shuttering and falsework used in concrete construction.

In Japanese carpentry, daiku is the simple term for carpenter, a miya-daiku (temple carpenter) performs the work of both architect and builder of shrines and temples, and a sukiya-daiku works on teahouse construction and houses. Sashimono-shi build furniture and tateguya do interior finishing work.[20]

A restoration carpenter is a carpenter who works in historic building restoration, someone who restores a structure to a former state.

A conservation carpenter works in architectural conservation, known in the U.S. as a "preservation carpenter" who works in historic preservation, someone who keeps structures from changing.

Green carpentry is the specialization in the use of environmentally friendly,[21] energy-efficient[22] and sustainable[23] sources of building materials for use in construction projects. They also practice building methods that require using less material and material that has the same structural soundness.[24]"

Framing differs from other types of building. When it comes to the material,techniques,tools, things like that.

Did I anwer all your questions? Does all of that make any sense? I'm happy to anwer anymore questions you may have.:)

Yes, you have answered all of my questions, thank you :)

I'd never realized how many different types of carpentry there are!

Does the number of framers working on a specific job vary? And is there ever only one framer on a job? (I'm imagining that lifting the materials involved in framing is a job for a minimum of two people, but not sure).

Yes the number of framers on each job varies. Give size of this job I'm suprised I'm the only framer here, but then again I'm also the youngest guy on the crew as well.

I've build most of wall frames on the ground then I hoist them up against the I-beams where I then fasten the frames to beams with 3/4 inch hex bolts.

If you would like, I can upload some pictures of my tools. You seem to have an interest in carpentry, is that right?

Yes, you have answered all of my questions, thank you :)

I'd never realized how many different types of carpentry there are!

Does the number of framers working on a specific job vary? And is there ever only one framer on a job? (I'm imagining that lifting the materials involved in framing is a job for a minimum of two people, but not sure).

Yes the number of framers on each job varies. Give size of this job I'm suprised I'm the only framer here, but then again I'm also the youngest guy on the crew as well.

I've build most of wall frames on the ground then I hoist them up against the I-beams where I then fasten the frames to beams with 3/4 inch hex bolts.

If you would like, I can upload some pictures of my tools. You seem to have an interest in carpentry, is that right?

Seeing some pictures of your tools would be cool :)

Yer, I've always like wood as a medium. I used to help my dad with DIY projects when I was a kid/teenager and always enjoyed working with wood and using the tools.

I will try to get some pics of my tools up for you and everyone too see. I'm starting to need to upgrade my Toolrig's I wear because there starting not to hold up to the day to day use I put them through.

What kind wood working do you like to do?
What kind of tools do have and like too use?

Seeing some pictures of your tools would be cool :)

Yer, I've always like wood as a medium. I used to help my dad with DIY projects when I was a kid/teenager and always enjoyed working with wood and using the tools.

As far updates go i though you may be interested to know. Fortunately for me I will get to return home to Dallas for about week. The construction job is no where near completion, it was susposed to be a 3-5 week job. Well due to the financial reason on the stockyards part that's not going to happen.

When we have all the correct materials, the crew and I make decent progress. I was able to convince the "project oversight manager" that it would be a good idea to bring in a second framer. I've got a buddy of mine that's going to help out when I return from my break. :) Having two framers will be nice that way I'm not the only one that knows the difference between a framing square and speed square.:p

The guys from the stockyards that helping with the construction are great dudes to work. Now as some of you know the company that I work for as a major case of "it's all about me" so they will run over anyone that gets in their way of making money. Anyway I hope this isn't too preachy or a rant, but the supposed brains of the company I work for( my boss and their bosses ) don't have 2 IQ points to rub together it seems like.

On the bright side, I'm just blessed to be employed.

New Threads

Top Bottom