• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Question

I can but I listen better if I don't take notes. Notes are important though. At college due to my ASD I was eligible for a peer note taker which I used sometimes, though their notes weren't in the same style as mine would have been so I often preferred to do it myself.

I couldn’t do both. I’d write notes in college. I would than need to go to a specific location in the library and re-write my notes in question form on note cards to retain the info.

I can directly translate what I hear into writing, but I don't absorb the information at all, so I then have to go back and read my notes to actually get any of the information.

It's either listen, or write, because when I was writing, I missed whatever was being said, and when I was listening, I couldn't remember what they said to write down later. Also can't read my writing after actively listening AND taking notes. I don't know how I was able to keep an A-B average despite missing so much due to being sick with allergies. :/

I can take notes and listen at the same time. I can listen to what someone else is saying and type something completely different at the same time. I abuse this ability by writing stuff on AutismForums when I'm supposed to be taking minutes in important meetings. I hear what people are saying, queue up the important points and add them to the minutes when I return to them.

I can do this with speaking, too. I can talk and do math in my head at the same time by "queueing up" stuff I want to say, so I am speaking without really thinking about it, and then focusing my attention on doing the math. It makes me look better at math than I really am, because people assume I'm not doing math when I'm talking and they think I worked it out instantaneously. What they hear is "That's a a really interesting problem [I'm stalling], but if you break it down [more stalling], the answer is [answer!]"

I can track two or three texts in my head at the same time. For my own amusement, I've mentally lined up the lyrics to the ABC song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Ba Ba Black Sheep, then sang them by switching to a different one each line while keeping to the same music.

In Les Miserables' Confrontation, I can track both Javert's and Jean Valjean's parts simultanously. But I can do that only because I've read the lyrics. I can't listen to two voices at the same time, and any time two people are talking to me, I have to ask them both to stop and take turns speaking.

I can take notes and listen at the same time. I can listen to what someone else is saying and type something completely different at the same time. I abuse this ability by writing stuff on AutismForums when I'm supposed to be taking minutes in important meetings. I hear what people are saying, queue up the important points and add them to the minutes when I return to them.

I can do this with speaking, too. I can talk and do math in my head at the same time by "queueing up" stuff I want to say, so I am speaking without really thinking about it, and then focusing my attention on doing the math. It makes me look better at math than I really am, because people assume I'm not doing math when I'm talking and they think I worked it out instantaneously. What they hear is "That's a a really interesting problem [I'm stalling], but if you break it down [more stalling], the answer is [answer!]"

I can track two or three texts in my head at the same time. For my own amusement, I've mentally lined up the lyrics to the ABC song, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star, and Ba Ba Black Sheep, then sang them by switching to a different one each line while keeping to the same music.

In Les Miserables' Confrontation, I can track both Javert's and Jean Valjean's parts simultanously. But I can do that only because I've read the lyrics. I can't listen to two voices at the same time, and any time two people are talking to me, I have to ask them both to stop and take turns speaking.

That is really cool! I can play a strategy video game with my back to the TV and my son who is only watching TV will be puzzled by something that happened in the show or not have understood what one of the characters said and I can explain it to him or tell him what was said. But when it comes to taking notes from a lecture. I am barely able to even get a few main points down before major confusion sets in.

I could barely listen and write at the same time. As I was writing - it was hard to listen to new info. I found that I typed faster than writing and it didn’t frustrate me as much so I’d type on my laptop what they saying - it helped that I could still look at them while they were talking (something about the visual part of it allowing me to actually comprehend what they are saying) yet still type becuase I didn’t have to look at the keyboard - whereas if I wrote notes - I was slower and not legible and I’d have to look at the paper so I didn’t get the visual of part of looking at the person speaking. I’ve read that sometimes it’s the way our brain can process something visual whereas it might have a harder with processing sound into usuable info as quickly as seeing the words come from the mouth - at least for some of us it’s that way.

I recorded all the lectures so that if I felt I missed something imp - I could go back and listen again.

Transcription is not really hard for me.
The words go in my ears and then become
visible by way of my hands.

I can do the same thing. I had to take notes in law school due to it being purely Socratic teaching method so I created my own abbreviations and shorthand which worked well enough for me to read my notes later. Examples: "do not" or "did not" were written as "d/n", motion written as "m/", burden of proof written as BOP, etc. I also used math symbols such as < and >. It's a skill that improves with practice.

This has never been an issue for me. When I hear people talk, my mind automatically translates it to a written sentence in my head that is in my own handwriting. So I just mindlessly take notes in my head all the time, I just do it on paper when I have to take notes.

New Threads

Top Bottom