• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Published author and late-diagnosed Aspie

RoseK

I'm so glad I found this forum! First, some background about myself. I'm 48 years old, a technical writer for an engineering firm, and the author of three books and several articles in my particular area of expertise. I won't say what they are right now because this introduction is about me as an Aspie, not a writer ;)

Like many people in this forum, I've had social difficulties all my life. Any time I've had workplace issues, it's been due to co-workers taking issue with my personality, habits, interests, you name it! As one supervisor said to me once, "It's not your work that's the issue. Honestly, it's you."

For years, I was treated by a psychiatrist for dysthymic disorder, without much success. I'd heard of Asperger's Syndrome but didn't know that symptoms could vary so widely from one person to the next. I saw myself in some manifestations but not others so didn't entertain the possibility.

Then, last summer, I met a young man on my morning commute who was a diagnosed Aspie and advocate for the autism community in general. His name was Michael. Over the course of several conversations, I recognized so many of my own feelings and experiences in his that I finally went for a formal diagnosis. On March 30, I received it.

I was so glad to finally understand and make sense of things. It's also made me more self-aware. Although being an Aspie is nothing to be ashamed of, knowledge has helped me make more informed decisions about what to do, how to interact with others, etc.

On a sadder note, Michael lost his job recently because his coworkers kept complaining about how 'unfriendly' he was and how uncomfortable he made them. I think this was really unfair, and am seeing what I can do about getting him employed where I am now.

Looking forward to meeting people here!

Rose

88064b47be7870b8b38d47af248dcf31.png

I'm so glad I found this forum!

We are too, Rose. Welcome to AC. You've come to the right place to explore who and what you are. Where self-awareness can put you on a path of self-improvement.

Looking forward to meeting people here!

Rose
Welcome Rose. I'm also an author and also diagnosed at 48. The increased self-awareness is a double-edged sword, eh?

You'll find the folks here are kind and supportive, and the boards are well-tended. Best of luck with Michael.

hi rose,welcome to AC! i think the majority here are aspies diagnosed as adults so you will be at ease,to be honest it doesnt matter what you are/when you were diagnosed you will relate to everyone in bits and pieces.

what are your books? are any biographies about your life experiences?

would michael perhaps get anything out of this forum?
i go to a mencap LGBT group and a new friend of mine with autism and ID/LD joined last month so i told her about AC,her mum wrote the address down but im not sure if hayden has had a look and perhaps didnt like it- itd be great if she did as like michael she is an autism activist and is a professional speaker on autism, i am an autism and intellectual disability activist to.

Welcome RoseK. You've found a good autistic website. People here are caring.
This is maybe the best autism spectrum forum I've come across. This isn't a big sanctuary for trolls and pro-cure stooges for Autism Speaks. (**cough Wrong Planet!**) It also isn't an anarchal website that prides itself being mean and uncivilized (**cough Intensity Squared!**) It also isn't run by moderators who have a political agenda and that work to make it a liberal echo chamber (**cough Autism Friends Network!**) You'll have a good time here!

Welcome, Rose!
You sure are in the right place, hope we can help you on the path of further self-awareness :)
It's become my safe place within days, a place where people understand what I go through, where I understand what they have in mind, and where I don't need to put on my draining NT-ersatz act, and I couldn't recommend it enough :grinning:

New Threads

Top Bottom