• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Psychology: Virtue-signalling

Jonn

V.I.P Member

If you do this, chances are you are either a narcissist, psychopath or manipulator​

Kyle Schnitzer
July 10, 2020

If you’ve seen examples of virtue signaling, chances are that person could be a narcissist, psychopath, or a manipulator, according to a new study.
In recent weeks, you’ve probably seen signs of virtue signaling. Often seen on social media, virtue signaling is when someone shares an opinion – usually social or politically – in order to gain praise and sympathy. Think of it as a follower on social media who posts something topical just because others are posting it, or that phony influencer who somehow out of nowhere becomes a social justice warrior overnight. It’s toxic and cheap and if you can read through the lines, you’re seeing examples of virtue signaling.

A study by researchers from the University of British Columbia sought to figure out the “consequences and predictors of emitting signals of victimhood and virtue.” The study, published in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, ran through a series of tests on virtue signaling and was conducted by authors Ekin Ok, Yi Qian, Brendan Strejcek, and Karl Aquino.
Following the tests done in a series of studies, the authors said they showed how individuals with Dark Triad traits — Machiavellianism, Narcissism, and Psychopathy — were more frequently showing signs of virtue signaling.
“Our first three studies demonstrate how a perceived victim signal can lead others to transfer resources to a victim, but that the motivation to do so is amplified when the victim signal is paired with a virtue signal,” the authors wrote about their findings.
While virtue signaling does have benefits such as raising awareness toward certain causes or holding people accountable, the authors warned that it can be used as a “tactic for self-advancement and goal pursuit.”
Here are their findings:
“Our conclusion is simply that victim signals are effective tools of social influence and maximally effective when deployed with signals of virtue. We also provide evidence supporting our proposition that for some people these signals can be deployed as a duplicitous tactic to acquire personal benefits they would otherwise not receive. Given the ubiquity of victimhood claims circulating through public discourse by word-of-mouth, news reports, social media, legal cases, and the like, an explanation for the multiple motives that drive people to claim this status has both theoretical and practical relevance.”

The results of the study seem reasonable, but the article (probably written by a hack journalist) makes a false assertion. The facts indicate that people on the Dark Triad are likely to virtue signal, but not that people who virtue signal are significantly more likely to be on the Triad.

OFC now that the "Western world" has discovered "infectious narcissism", and is routinely teaching it in schools, it's probably only a matter of time until the reverse (Virtue Signaling implies a significant chance of being on the Triad) becomes true /sigh.

The results of the study seem reasonable, but the article (probably written by a hack journalist) makes a false assertion. The facts indicate that people on the Dark Triad are likely to virtue signal, but not that people who virtue signal are significantly more likely to be on the Triad.
But doesn't being a "virtue-signaller" inherently mean a person with a rather narcissistic mindset?
Commonly, "virtue-signalling" is renowned to be a "look at me, look at me" attitude.

It depends if you just do something for praise then it is obviously wrong.
But if you do enjoy praise or compliments then there is wrong with it either as long as you mean what you say.
Social media can get you in the track of people pleasing and relying on people's opinions too much and it does not mean genuine connection with others. That is how it becomes addictive is it is because people lack that in their lives and then it becomes a real vicious cycle where people do not get it from social media either and it becomes addictive and toxic.
And sometimes it is best to just quit and see what happens, cold turkey
At least then u start thinking about the real world again. Because at least in this country these are still people who go to the library, there are still groups you could join.
And even if you could manage to that then at least you get to talk to real people for a while.

It depends if you just do something for praise then it is obviously wrong.
But if you do enjoy praise or compliments then there is wrong with it either as long as you mean what you say.

It depends on the context.
These days, the term "virtue-signalling" has been corrupted into meaning the former.
It is the former that I have a problem with.

Good deeds can be done anonymously, and some ppl do precisely just that.

But doesn't being a "virtue-signaller" inherently mean a person with a rather narcissistic mindset?
Commonly, "virtue-signalling" is renowned to be a "look at me, look at me" attitude.
IMO the lower limit for "narcissistic behavior" is still well above virtue signaling, which is a very common human behavior, and has probably being going on "forever".

It's a moving target though. There's been a huge increase in the "demand for offense" of late, so thresholds for offensive behaviors are falling fast.

Last edited:
Interesting. This is why on the social media I avoid topics relating to social or political natures--not because I don't believe in good causes, but because I just...it would all just be halfhearted attempts to sound or be well-informed. I don't involve myself in things which I cannot relate to others on. Does that make me privileged? Maybe! I just don't want the brownie points. Maybe what I'm writing sounds pointless.

As I've mentioned before, I'm not equipped to deal well with people who are socially razor sharp, including people who are powerful victim/virtue signallers. It's a difficult form of argument for the most capable debater to tackle - because any questioning of the signalled virtue is portrayed as an attack on the victimhood or at least ignorance. Emotional DARVO strikes the fear of god into me, especially when the accusation is a weak spot in an autist's capabilities, e.g. when they insinuate you've committed a massive faux pas that is scandalously offensive and triggering. That's just an absolute cluster bomb for someone who struggles to understand social interaction, it rips away any sort of scaffolding, spins you like a top and leaves you staggering in the dark.

That said I think that there are many people who actually have disadvantage and are actually trying to do good things who get waved away with the "virtue signaller" label. The real shame is it's the same folk who will often struggle to get their voice heard over people who are a lot better at playing to the crowd. I know that both in my professional career and in advocating for autism through acceptance of diversity I'm come a firm second place in getting air time to someone who's got talent in working this way.

It's been a source of quite a lot of anxiety. You know the tactics that will be used before you've even said a word. Victim/virtue signallers can run down 25 years of experience and a heartfelt passion to better the world for my kids with a single "I'm sorry, but I find that disrespectful". The moment those words are uttered I'm lost, simultaneously cast adrift in space with my tether floating next to me and locked inside my head as it revs up introspection like a furious dynamo.

So I just walk away now and hold firm to the idea that my other talents will see me through. I know everyone has times when they feel they're Cassandra, but I've given up worrying. If people don't want to hear me, I just get on another way.

Last edited:
I remember once this narcissistic bus driver I used to know often pretended to care about people when really she didn't. The more she acted like she cared, the more she'd slag them off behind their backs. I've seen her do it many times, and she also had a habit of lying.
Anyway, one day a lady, possibly in her 70s but wasn't frail or anything, got on the bus and said she had fallen over on her way to the bus stop. She had nothing more than a bruise on her knee and didn't want any fuss, but the driver fussed way too much, pulled into a bay, and phoned for an ambulance. But, being so I had sussed her out by then, I knew this was an act to tell everyone "hey, look how wonderful I am, I'm phoning an ambulance for this elderly lady". The lady looked embarrassed, but obviously was grateful, but she didn't even need an ambulance, despite her age. It wasn't like she was laying on the sidewalk unable to stand or was hemorrhaging or had any fractures or was frightened or anything. I think the bus driver was just wasting everyone's time by pretending to be "really, really nice".
I've helped people in the street before, but only because I care and I try to treat others how I like to be treated. But constantly trying to be too overcaring can be annoying and freaky. Some people don't want fuss, especially if they seem OK.

I see it a lot. I can understand being mistaken as doing it, too because so many times that I even chime in on a topic or a conversation, I talk about a similar experience that I had to "whom" or "what" the topic is concerning. I'm simply trying to be detailed as to how I feel or think that I actually relate to something (which isn't often the case), and, well, I just think it probably comes across mistaken. Oops.

Truly, the internet is full of people out to decide who is or isn't good, bad, right, wrong, influential, popular, etc. It gets annoying, especially when all you want to do is feel connection to folks. Not everything in life has to be a game or competition, but so many people frame it out to be.

I do know a few what I call "chronic" virtue signallers and yea narcissism is definitely a factor. One has actually admitted to being one. Myself, I'm not one to force others to adopt my beliefs or point of view but may be guilty of trying to correct false information which may be mistaken as virtue signalling? I feel as though this is my personality of needing to mediate conflict.

But I do wonder if there's a fine line between narcissism and just trying to be relevant which can be hallmark of being insecure. Insecurities can be loud and annoying, forcing one to constantly seek approval and external validation. I understand this is also hallmark of narcissism but insecurities can also be due to past social trauma which one seeks to correct.

Quite often the person who perceives virtue signalling does so because they lack their own virtue, or they find it hard to believe virtue exists without being contrived.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quite often the person who perceives virtue signalling does so because they lack their own virtue, or they find it hard to believe virtue exists without being contrived.
Interesting to ponder whether Sigmund Freud would consider this a case of "transference". ;)

Sometimes I write about the things I do for my community. I hope that is not virtue signaling, but rather an exhortation to become involved. I get great enjoyment over things like running kayak safety for swimmers in a race and think that helping in the community and participating provides a better quality of life for us all. Some things are quite hard for me, like being a Big Brother to an autistic boy and I dearly hope I am making a difference.

I do know a few what I call "chronic" virtue signallers and yea narcissism is definitely a factor. One has actually admitted to being one. Myself, I'm not one to force others to adopt my beliefs or point of view but may be guilty of trying to correct false information which may be mistaken as virtue signalling? I feel as though this is my personality of needing to mediate conflict.

But I do wonder if there's a fine line between narcissism and just trying to be relevant which can be hallmark of being insecure. Insecurities can be loud and annoying, forcing one to constantly seek approval and external validation. I understand this is also hallmark of narcissism but insecurities can also be due to past social trauma which one seeks to correct.
So true. When I experienced social trauma (isolation) I was very insecure and sought validation from others, so was prone to being used with no reciprocity. It was very hard to develop my agency and become inner directed.

Sometimes I write about the things I do for my community. I hope that is not virtue signaling, but rather an exhortation to become involved. I get great enjoyment over things like running kayak safety for swimmers in a race and think that helping in the community and participating provides a better quality of life for us all. Some things are quite hard for me, like being a Big Brother to an autistic boy and I dearly hope I am making a difference.
It's very easy to be called names like "narcissist" these days when one clearly isn't, and it can make us paranoid. If it wasn't for the sort of things you do then there wouldn't be any internet (the good/useful side) lol. What you're doing is selfless but also just something normal. Not virtue signaling at all.

I think it's when people take things to the extreme and just being a nuisance more than a help, or even hurting people or animals. Like where people torture an animal then video themselves "saving" the animal to make themselves look like heroes when really they're evil. But if someone is genuinely saving an animal but gets their phone out and film themselves doing it, I don't think that is bad. Sometimes good people do that to bring a smile to people's faces when seeing their video online and to restore our faith in humanity. So they're saving an animal and making people smile. Also, as humans, sharing publicly that they've done a good deed can be natural and make us feel good about ourselves. But that's OK too, because it's better to be kind to others to make you feel good about yourself than to bully others to make you feel good about yourself.

The problem is that it's usually hard to tell if a person is virtue signaling. Maybe they are just expressing an opinion or personal conviction and don't particularly care about the feedback they receive from others. People are so often eager to label others as narcissistic when that may not be the case at all. Just because someone does not agree with you or just because someone expresses a strong conviction about something does not mean they are virtue signaling.

New Threads

Top Bottom