• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Proud to be an Aspie?

There have been some low, really low, times when I've wished to be like others. A lot of that thinking was before my diagnosis. Now that I have the diagnosis I feel the missing puzzle piece has been found and I'm proud to be who I am.

We are made to feel ashamed or that were are failures by the majority of NTs, if we don't function and behave like them, in their NT-made NT world. When we do try to adapt and adjust, but evidently fail at something, we are made to feel embarrassed or paranoid, or that we are making an 'excuse' by NTs, who won't believe that we are autistic. Maybe if we were treated better, we wouldn't need to assert any feeling of pride to restore our self worth, as it so often takes a beating from NTs.

As to the original question noted above, I am neither proud nor ashamed to be an Aspie, just as I am neither proud nor ashamed to be white or female or heterosexual. Those are just things that "are." I didn't "do" anything to be proud or ashamed of.

No offense intended, but the idea of someone being "proud" of something they had no influence over is a bit arrogant in my opinion.
The definition of pride does not just mean satisfaction in one's achievements. That is only one meaning of the word. It can also mean another thing: "consciousness of one's own dignity." In this meaning, it is merely synonymous with self-worth or having a sense of respect for yourself. (Not thinking you are better than anyone else overall, of course). Instead, feeling and thinking that you are of equal value to those around you and not feeling ashamed, embarrassed or a failure. So while it's great that you don't feel ashamed or negative towards who you are, there are a lot of aspies that do, because their confidence has been broken by intolerance and ignorance. Those aspies are certainly not arrogant for seeking to restore their dignity and self worth.

Proud to be an aspire even if their are times it is a pair in the back side. I couldn't imagine life any other way. Except anxiety fee! Hopefullyone day

i am 'proud' to be classic autistic and under the severe end of the spectrum.
i know this would shock a lot of people,especially NT parents of severely autistic children,but my autism and my comorbid mild intellectual disability have both given me qualities and skills that i and others love.
i have lived my entire life being non verbal,'challenging', highly anxious, oblivious to humans and the world,but it doesnt mean i see my life as one big disability,i am so used to my life-ive never known any different so why should i see it as a bad thing? i cant see it as a bad thing anyway, as im unable to compare myself to my peers [thankyou autism and intellectual disability],it gives an interesting perspective on life and i feel freedom-not disabled from my autism and ID.

i will never do any of the stuff that NTs thrive on,eg live independantly,drive a car,get married etc, but if my mental health is controlled and i dont need as much medication so im not so sedated-that to me will be my goal,not a change in my personality [ie,removal of autism and ID].

i am proud of myself for defeating all the suggestions from professionals to my parents,like i would never be able to live away from my family and when they go id need to be institutionalised for life.
i am proud of my autism for making me so independantly minded.

i wish people wouldnt assume if your under the severe label you have to be depressed about it and your parents have to be depressed about it,my mum and dad love my qualities and skills that have been fueled by autism,when i tell parents of severely autistic kids about my story a lot of them dont believe i was there to-and still am to a great degree because i am positive and i believe with strong multi disciplinary support and deep care,understanding and acceptance the severely autistic child can develop.

i know this would shock a lot of people,especially NT parents of severely autistic children,but my autism and my comorbid mild intellectual disability have both given me qualities and skills that i and others love.
i have lived my entire life being non verbal,'challenging', highly anxious, oblivious to humans and the world,but it doesnt mean i see my life as one big disability,i am so used to my life-ive never known any different so why should i see it as a bad thing? i cant see it as a bad thing anyway, as im unable to compare myself to my peers [thankyou autism and intellectual disability],it gives an interesting perspective on life and i feel freedom-not disabled from my autism and ID.

i will never do any of the stuff that NTs thrive on,eg live independantly,drive a car,get married etc, but if my mental health is controlled and i dont need as much medication so im not so sedated-that to me will be my goal,not a change in my personality [ie,removal of autism and ID].

i am proud of myself for defeating all the suggestions from professionals to my parents,like i would never be able to live away from my family and when they go id need to be institutionalised for life.

i wish people wouldnt assume if your under the severe label you have to be depressed about it and your parents have to be depressed about it,my mum and dad love my qualities and skills that have been fueled by autism,when i tell parents of severely autistic kids about my story a lot of them dont believe i was there to-and still am to a great degree because i am positive and i believe with strong multi disciplinary support and deep care,understanding and acceptance the severely autistic child can develop.
I love your "nobody's ever going to stop me" approach and your dedication to improving your own life instead of waiting for others to do it for you. You are a perfect example of when I say that no matter how bad off a person thinks they have it,there will be no shortage of others waiting to trade places with you.
Your attitude is one that many should adopt,and you have my highest respect for being who you want to be and not trapped by what are considered social norms.

I do have pride in my abstract thinking. I know that my thoughts are alien and very deep into the workings of our universe.

But I believe that I am spiritually awakened, so that may have something to do with it. I also don't believe that pride is good because I believe that we are all just reflections of God; it's not correct to think of ourselves as individuals who make our own achievements. We are reflections of God achieving what he wants to achieve or what he hates (when we sin it's because God set us up to sin so it would contrast his righteousness).

i am not proud of my autism, but i still make use of it, and i am still bound by its flaws, especially social flaws.

however, i don't need to worry too much about social flaws here, the members are theoretically supposed to be tolerant.

Dude, this post made me want to give you a massive hug (but I have no idea if you enjoy hugs, so translate this e-hug into whatever form of affection you like).

You've inspired me toothless. Thank you. I don't get teary-eyed often, but this post made me tear up.

New Threads

Top Bottom