• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Proud to be an Aspie?

He logged off before your explanation, he hasn't seen it or any posts after that. It's 03:05 there, and when he does wake up I doubt he will be mad at you. I'd be surprised if anyone is. Don't worry about it, you did nothing wrong, you're thinking things are worse than they are. It was just a simple misunderstanding, don't panic.

Yeah, sorry, got distracted by looking up Germanic languages. Was seeing when a dialect becomes a language. No idea why.
Are you sure you're not me? [emoji6] That's what I was looking up the other day (and I look stuff like that up a lot, along with other linguistic-related topics). I'm currently learning Danish as well. Its supposed to be hard to pronounce but to me the pronunciation of many words is identical to some English dialects, and the overall 'creaky voice' thing and mashing up some words it has is how I speak anyway. I also love how it has a lot of words that are found in English dialects, it also has Danish versions of modern standard English words that were derived from old norse or old English in the case of the English version, or old norse or Low German in the case of Danish. However over time the meaning has changed in English. For example 'Behold' originally meant 'to keep' in English and still does in Danish, but in English now it means ordering someone to look at something. Many years ago an American friend who spent time in Denmark said I sounded Danish when I spoke, now I get why.

Anyway back on topic I haven't been formally diagnosed but am proud of who I am, I used to hate who I was, how I was and the only time I could be the person I wanted to be was in dreams. Now I like being this way, it has its advantages....

Are you sure you're not me? [emoji6] That's what I was looking up the other day (and I look stuff like that up a lot, along with other linguistic-related topics). I'm currently learning Danish as well. Its supposed to be hard to pronounce but to me the pronunciation of many words is identical to some English dialects, and the overall 'creaky voice' thing and mashing up some words it has is how I speak anyway. I also love how it has a lot of words that are found in English dialects, it also has Danish versions of modern standard English words that were derived from old norse or old English in the case of the English version, or old norse or Low German in the case of Danish. However over time the meaning has changed in English. For example 'Behold' originally meant 'to keep' in English and still does in Danish, but in English now it means ordering someone to look at something. Many years ago an American friend who spent time in Denmark said I sounded Danish when I spoke, now I get why.

Anyway back on topic I haven't been formally diagnosed but am proud of who I am, I used to hate who I was, how I was and the only time I could be the person I wanted to be was in dreams. Now I like being this way, it has its advantages....
I'm learning German at the moment, but want to eventually learn more Germanic languages. I ended up looking up all the dialects of the Germanic languages, and when one becomes a distinct language. Also how they're classified and where they derived from. It's really strange you also have been looking up the same kind of thing recently.

Klingon syntax is very similar. Maybe t'Linghan HoL is the language you need to learn! Qapl'a, Long Live the Klingon Empire!!!! (waves bat'leth in the air above head)

i try to be proud of being an aspie, but its hard to be proud of being so socially deficient, i can be proud of the advantages Asperger's brings however and how i cope with the disadvantages (normally quite well, but very badly today).

Whack......(low rope hook that hits a Guide Dog in the head & knocks him unconscious) FORE LEFT!!! Oh, SCREW IT! (walks of the golf course)

Tell me about it I'm the living embodiment of a triple bogey today!
well i had three really busy days in a row (im talking 9am till very late at night) recently I've been forcing myself out and forcing myself to be social while also working very hard for my degree and if im honest it is starting to take its toll, it is just so exhausting and i struggle with it a lot. but i feel i need to if im ever going to be able to function. today ive just cut myself of from the rest of the world in my room but all ive done is lie in bed thinking and ive gotten myself very depressed by doing this any advice would be appreciated

Being an Aspie blunts me socially at times, but has given the focus and obsession to excel at golf.

I wish you the best in your education. I didn't go to college b/c my learning disability with math. Funny thing is I read like doctor or lawyer. My reading comprehension was test at 4th year college +, while my mathematical comprehension tested at 4th grade!

Being an Aspie blunts me socially at times, but has given the focus and obsession to excel at golf.
yeah there are advantages to Asperger's and im glad you have found something you are really good at.

i just feel like there is a pie chart with slices representing different things/areas that people want to achieve or succeed in e.g career, friends, family, hobbies etc. but you cant have all of the slices only some, it just seems impossible to keep on top of and succeed in everything, aspergers makes it very easy to achieve in some slices like hobbies and academics but makes it really difficult for others. it makes me feel out of control and this depresses me a lot.

i just hate how nervous and anxious i get around people and it makes me feel like there are many things that i will always struggle with no matter what i do.

You're welcome there, friend! What are you good at? Try and make that as much of the pie as possible. If life is a pie, season it with what you love, it will fast so much better! ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom