• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Proud to be an Aspie?

I'm not. This is absolute hell and a big reason why I plan to kill myself.
I can relate to that sentement, but please don't kill yourself. Our suffering is often much more transitory than it seems. In the midst of depression it seems as though the pain and sadness will never end, but this is an illusion. Despair blinds us to the possibility for a better future. It even biases our memories toward the negative, thus casting gloom on our past as well. Depression distorts our thinking, so it is best not to make irreversible decisions while in such a state. If you have the patience to endure I promise that you will thank yourself in the future.

You should invent a air tee, send it toe, & I'll test it for you! A tiny, powerful electric motor and fan, & the right diameter and length rubber hose for the airstream, and presto! I present to the golfing public, the Nitro Air-Tee! It might push the Rule on unusual devices, so I'll need to look that up in the Rules of Golf.

Asperger's Syndrome has it's pros and cons. It is what makes me good at what I am good at and makes me bad at what I am bad at. We are all different, so it affects us all differently. For me, the pros out weight the cons by a long shot. So I like being a Aspie and yes, I am proud to be an Aspie.

Then you're not working it right. God made some of us this way for a very special reason.

I don't suppose you could tell us all what that reason is, because I can't see any sense to it whatsoever. I'm trying to imagine the scenario:

God (to the angels): "Hey, I know, I'll create a world where approximately >96% of the people on it are overly emotional, highly illogical, susceptible to flattery, and who control virtually everything of consequence that they create upon it. The remainder will be outcasts who don't fit in, who can clearly see where the rule of the majority is going awry, but they will not be in a position to do anything about it. This will cause them immense misery and frustration."

Angels: "Why? What purpose will be fulfilled in creating such an unbalanced and unjust world?"

God: "Well, it'll be fun! Won't it? Okay then, think of it as an experiment. For example, I would like to determine (among many other things, of course) how long it takes for these outcasts, on average, to have a complete nervous breakdown after being consistently, day in and day out, bullied for about fifteen years whilst they are in school. That will be interesting, won't it?"

Angels: "Gee, we kind of think all of this is rather... sadistic. Not very ethical".

God: "But I'm God, I can do anything I like. Who is going to stop me? Besides, it is I who determines what is right and wrong, so there!"

Plausible? No, I don't think so.

I have my issues, too. But my Aspergers has given me the obsessive focus needed to excel at a sport that was obviously NOT meant for those with multiple visual problems! :) :) I'm good enough to give some pros a hard time. If I weren't an Aspie, I wouldn't be the hard worker & champion golfer that I am. I also have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, now that sucks! That I'm not happy with. Where FAS holds me back, being an Aspie is an advantage for me.

ASPIE PROUD!!!!

No, I still don't get it. Is there some mystical meaning to it? 13 dots - no idea. It must be a cultural or generational thing. Are you American or British by any chance? If so, that might be the reason I am not understanding it, for I am neither. 13 - baker's dozen? Dots - Morse code that went awry? It doesn't look like binary, which would be ones and zeros.

A real puzzle.

I don't suppose you could tell us all what that reason is, because I can't see any sense to it whatsoever.
In my experience as a born-again Christian [38 years], Aspergers seems to connect to a positive Biblical archetype. Unfortunately, Biblical cosmology is decidedly alien to those on the outside looking in.

Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” Jesus, John 3:3 NKJV

You can replace the word "see" with the word "grasp." It is not something that even new Christians might see right away, but it's there.

OK, then, I'll help you understand. I'll be polite and clear. I found your post accusing God of duplicity offensive. While it isn't His fault that we have to deal with difficulty, he allows it so we'll look to Him for help making it through one genuinely screwed-up world. Life with multiple disabilities sucks, but for me, it's my normal. I'll never know the freedom of driving, the accomplishment of solving a difficult math problem, or even getting the social cues of those around me consistently. It isn't El Capitan's fault that I am what I am, He helps me make the best of it. I'm legally blind with nystagmus (involuntary eye movement). I also have Fetal Alcohol Syndrome, because my biological mother drank like a fish. I also have a substantial learning disability in math.
Those may hold me back, but Aspergers gives me the obsession and focus to learn all I can about something I love and become an expert at it. That something is golf! Let's se 99.99999% of the population strike a golf ball in poor light conditions (glare, gloom, etc.) and hit a narrow fairway, or drop that ball next to the hole on a widy day from 100 yards away! A Tour pro can't play the way I do! If I could give my visual issues to Rickie Fowler, & play him for $100,000 a hole, I'll clean his clock!
God bestowed Aspergers as a gift to me to blunt my other issues. While it has its own issues, I'll gladly deal with them to be alble to play top quality amateur golf. I have eleven consecutive Special Olympics Kentucky Regional Championships, 3 straight SOKY State Championships, and a Silver Medal at the 2014 Special Olympics USA Games. Being an Aspie with a strong Helper at my back got me that, a great job at a country club where I'm respected for my golf skill and work ethic, where I'm the head of the cart department. So I am grateful to God for His help and making me ASPIE PROUD!!!!!

My life is an uphill par-5 with a six inch wide fairway, rough tall enough to hide a T-rex, and Sarlaccs in the bunkers. Oh yeah, the green is as big as a diinner plate, & you can barely get a marble into the hole! The thing is, I play it EVERY DAY! Some days it's double eagle, others it's double bogey. I know it well, and I'll get better at it!

EricD, what does the sequence of 13 dots mean (above)?
It's an elipsis, often used to indicate silence. In this case it would be silence of the indignantly stunned variety, as explained in post #37. The standard elipsis is three dots long, but it is common to employ an arbitrary number of dots per the users preference.

I found your post accusing God of duplicity offensive.
To be fair, Bellatrix was not accusing God of duplicity. He wrote a vignette depicting him as such before immediately dismissing it as implausible.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom