• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Perfumes!

Kupu2

Perfumes are my obsession. I have a collection that has overrun my bedroom. Each scent is carefully chosen and I attribute qualities, or personalities, to each one.

Scents ground me, and occassionally, some elate me to another place. Visiting the exclusives and niche scent shops is my happy time. I literally hop into the shop with a huge smile on my face and I forget the world exists.

Anyone else derive heavenly pleasure from perfumes?

I love perfumes too I have a large collection of them,my favourite scents are usually the gourmand or fruity and floral ones but if I have to choose which notes I really like they are usually Vanilla,Jasmine,coconut.sweet violet,caramel and citrus and tea fragrances.

Ooooohh, jasmine! You are a gourmand-type, indeed. How do you reconcile food smells with gourmand perfumes? Do you see them differently?

Are you a modern scent fan, or vintage? Any particular manufacturers? And do bottle designs plsy a part in your decision to buy?

Ooooohh, jasmine! You are a gourmand-type, indeed. How do you reconcile food smells with gourmand perfumes? Do you see them differently?

Are you a modern scent fan, or vintage? Any particular manufacturers? And do bottle designs plsy a part in your decision to buy?
Yeah I seem to be drawn to the more "food" type gourmand scents like vanilla,chocolate and coconut and I am more of a modern fragrance fan due to the fact that gourmands are more of a modern fragrance but I do have a few fragrance brands and ranges I like my favourite perfumes are Lolita lempicka which has star anise with violet and vanilla,Burberry brit which I find to be a comforting vanilla and I am fan of a few body shop perfumes like their Indian night Jasmine fragrance which is my favourite Jasmine scent and I also love their smoky rose and black musk perfume which has a slight liquorice smell along with vanilla but also I do go for more elaborate packaging since I'm attracted to the design of the bottle along with perfume but there have been exceptions for example I think the Burberry Brit bottle reminds me of a whisky bottle but I love the fragrance,as for vintage perfumes while I love the bottles I find some of them way too strong,harsh and overpowering,I think gourmand perfumes fit more with my personality since I'm on the girly and immature side and i always find sweet or creamy scents to be comforting to me.

That is interesting - sweet or creamy are your comfort scents. Mine are powder scents, like Chanel No 19 Poudre, or Givenchy's Dahlia Noir.

I can't cope with vanilla. Or cinnamon types. I'm more of a vintage classics tragic. Although I am somewhat fond of Salvatore Ferragamo's Signorina Misteriosa (the new dark bottle one). It has a heavy bkackberry to it.

There is a Guerlain I smelled the other day that is a hefty almond base. I should try it.

And thanks for the heads up on The Body Shop jasmine. I'll pop in and try it.

I don't blame you young ones not taking to the classics. They are of a different era compared to 95% of those currently on the market.

That is interesting - sweet or creamy are your comfort scents. Mine are powder scents, like Chanel No 19 Poudre, or Givenchy's Dahlia Noir.

I can't cope with vanilla. Or cinnamon types. I'm more of a vintage classics tragic. Although I am somewhat fond of Salvatore Ferragamo's Signorina Misteriosa (the new dark bottle one). It has a heavy bkackberry to it.

There is a Guerlain I smelled the other day that is a hefty almond base. I should try it.

And thanks for the heads up on The Body Shop jasmine. I'll pop in and try it.

I don't blame you young ones not taking to the classics. They are of a different era compared to 95% of those currently on the market.
Yeah the Indian night jasmine is a very well made jasmine perfume,it also has neroli in it and they seem to go together very well and it's not too overpowering but still noticeable,I wore it yesterday but at the moment I'm wearing Elisabeth Arden green tea nectarine blossom which is a combination of peach and tea.

Yeah the Indian night jasmine is a very well made jasmine perfume,it also has neroli in it and they seem to go together very well and it's not too overpowering but still noticeable,I wore it yesterday but at the moment I'm wearing Elisabeth Arden green tea nectarine blossom which is a combination of peach and tea.
Sounds heavenly! Does it last long? I'll need to see if it is on the Australian market.

Sounds heavenly! Does it last long? I'll need to see if it is on the Australian market.
It is on the Australian market I am Australian but think the Longevity is decent I use to think no one would be able to smell it on me but I have people compliment me about the fragrance.

I enjoy mild scents derived from natural oils from time to time, but most perfumes are so overpowering that they give me a headache. I can smell the ingredients that I don't think we are supposed to be able to smell, some remind me of industrial cleaners (unscented) or chemicals used in combustion engines. I never go down the cleaner isle in stores because of this.

I enjoy mild scents derived from natural oils from time to time, but most perfumes are so overpowering that they give me a headache. I can smell the ingredients that I don't think we are supposed to be able to smell, some remind me of industrial cleaners (unscented) or chemicals used in combustion engines. I never go down the cleaner isle in stores because of this.
I can understand that. The perfumes of today are made increasingly from synthetics because so many original ingredients are banned, expensive or allergens. They have a less last sillage and milder projection, as well as having that quality you pointed out. So, in a sense, the perfumes of the 70s and 80s are no longer. They were heady, nauseating and lingered for a whole day. They made me feel the way you do. But they bring with them anazing olfactory sensations.

It sounds like oils are calmer for your system. Makes sense. There are plenty about, but the price tag...whoa!

I find the older scents like the 70s and 80s to be super strong,I prefer sweeter,creamier or the fresh and fruity ones I don't like the strong aldehydes type which are usually the strong soapy or cleaner smelling fragrances and sadly I find Chanel no 5 to smell like soap and chemicals to my nose.

I love perfume! But its not my obsession. The best perfume I have ever smelt was called Vanille and it had an e at the end. It was in a small bottle with yellow writing but I have never been able to find it again.

C
I love perfume! But its not my obsession. The best perfume I have ever smelt was called Vanille and it had an e at the end. It was in a small bottle with yellow writing but I have never been able to find it again.

correction its called Solinotes Vanille

I used to like the scents of perfumes, but my current chemical sensitivities have spoiled it for me. I tend to stick to essential oils which I make sachets out of to scatter in the bureau drawers. Too much strong scent can make me ill.

Love, love, love perfumes! I have been obsessive in figuring out exactly what I like/need vs. what I don't like, what to use for different occasions - they help with my mood, make me feel grounded and happy and yummy! When I was in my twenties and first got into perfumes, I bought so many discounted ones at TJ Maxx/Marshalls to help figure out what I liked....I overbought, frankly. Then, I went for a long period of years when I couldn't wear department store perfumes without getting a headache! So I went without any kind of perfume other than scented lotion for a few years. Then I discovered Pacifica perfumes, which did not give me headaches, so I happily wore those. Quite recently, I discovered that I no longer had a problem with designer perfumes, except for certain strong notes. So I am happily back to my obsession now - I've got a whole wardrobe that I found while deal-hunting online. I love every single one! :) It's so nice to be able to enjoy them again.

I'm one who either loves a scent or despises it. This is usually because (some of them) make me headachy & nauseous. Right now I'm enjoying Chanel no 5. My husband gave it to me a gift when we were in Sydney. :) My other favorite scents are Kölnisch Wasser no 4711, L'Occitane (can only find the shampoo at the moment), and lavender.

I'm one who either loves a scent or despises it. This is usually because (some of them) make me headachy & nauseous. Right now I'm enjoying Chanel no 5. My husband gave it to me a gift when we were in Sydney. :) My other favorite scents are Kölnisch Wasser no 4711, L'Occitane (can only find the shampoo at the moment), and lavender.

It's a frustrating "olfactory dynamic" to me. Cheap perfumes almost always offend my senses to no end. I suppose because they are cheap, some use them like a body wash, leaving what amounts to a "vapor trail" for the rest of us to suffer from. Often bringing my "flight or fight" response front and center. Something usually confined to cigarette smoke. :eek:

Conversely the more expensive perfumes tend to be pleasant to me in some instances. Of course I'd think users of more expensive products would also be inclined to use them in moderation. Which for those of us with sensory concerns may prove to be half the equation, apart from a truly nice smelling scent. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom