• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

One of my pet peeves about autism's mainstream perception

18 years ago nearly it was revealed to the world that I have Aspergers, on a US based wrestling forum, ever since then I was accused of being retarded and living in a "Bubble" which the Americans kept saying they would break.

Hence my disdain to this day for interaction with Yanks online, if the comments section on most YouTube videos is to be believed, most of them are as thick as the content of a Pig's arse.

I don't think you can judge any body apart from the individuals who waste their lives posting to YouTube.

If you're happy judging by that, why not also judge Americans by the people of this forum?

Seems to me there are more Americans here than other nationalities, yet the quality of posts and insights is just as high as for UK people.

To be honest though, judging en masse is a fools game, whether it positive or negative. Only ever judge individuals.

Your problem isn't Americans. It's your naiveté in understanding social dynamics and politics relative to certain demographics of people regardless of what country they may be from.

I can only imagine what the response would be accessing an online Manchester United forum going "full-Aspie" and telling them I'm American on the spectrum of autism who wears superhero costumes. Would the Brits welcome me with open arms? Seriously?

Sharing a passion for something is never a guarantee that you're going to be socially accepted by much of anyone. Especially if it involves disclosing personal information or autistic traits that may neurologically or otherwise contrast greatly with any community, regardless of nationality. Mean and intolerant people can be found in every nation.

Once and for all, please don't try to pin this on any one nationality, let alone mine.

Thank you. Mean and intolerant people can be found on every NT and ASD spectrum, too.

This thread pissed me off because it is SO TRUE. I hate anything to do with autism on tv. It's because they will never understand that those little kids GROW THE F UP!!!! They have a few doc about older auties but they are LFA and always in a home.

Inshort, I gave up on anyone every getting it. Suz said :Ironically enough, as soon as I start getting into my favourite subject, that "pity" disappears and replaced with "fake politness".

THAT IS ABOUT as good at it gets these days. Yeah, better than getting punched in the head (which I have been), but still.................

PS. I do NOT function very well, but still I am glad to be around. So it really does not matter if people say "Autistic people end up in a relative's basement for life" WHO GIVES A CRAP? We are down there doing SOMETHNG, somethng we like. Screw people who think we are worthless.

We are not hurting anyone and that maybe more that they are doing.

They treat us as though being able to function like a regular person is a massive achievement for us. They never even consider that we are equal to NTs to begins with, rather they seem to think of us as being less skilled or helpless compared to them. They basically say; "Look at this poor person who was born with (insert condition here). They can do all of the things that a regular person can, how amazing!"

Well, you have to admit that there are many who have cases of autism so severe it actually does prevent them from leading a full, healthy and normal life. There are many who cannot communicate effectively, who cannot look after themselves, and as a result of this end up never moving out of their parent's home. If these individuals could speak for themselves, you can bet there would be quite a few who wouldn't agree that "neurodiversity" is such a great idea; in fact, they would probably say that autism is just horrendous, and that it makes life unbearable for them.

PS. I do NOT function very well, but still I am glad to be around. So it really does not matter if people say "Autistic people end up in a relative's basement for life" WHO GIVES A CRAP? We are down there doing SOMETHNG, somethng we like. Screw people who think we are worthless.

We are not hurting anyone and that maybe more that they are doing.

Ah yes, but what you are doing down there "in the basement" isn't profitable. You should be out making money, slaving away in the rat-race, keeping up with the Joneses, and otherwise being a good little conformist. That's the way the world is now: superficial, cynical, materialistic, and sociopathic. Sensitive types no longer have a place, it's survival of the fittest, kill or be killed... I can't wait for Armageddon. Where is that asteroid?

Ah yes, but what you are doing down there "in the basement" isn't profitable. You should be out making money, slaving away in the rat-race, keeping up with the Joneses, and otherwise being a good little conformist. That's the way the world is now: superficial, cynical, materialistic, and sociopathic. Sensitive types no longer have a place, it's survival of the fittest, kill or be killed... I can't wait for Armageddon. Where is that asteroid?

Hehe. Right. Reading Plato bad. Going out trying to grab everything I can for no reason and trying to fit into clothes made for giraffe and knocking down anyone in the way.....GOOD! :)
I think a small meteor did just hit, but the way. But it was rather tiny.......but you never know!

They treat us as though being able to function like a regular person is a massive achievement for us. They never even consider that we are equal to NTs to begins with, rather they seem to think of us as being less skilled or helpless compared to them. They basically say; "Look at this poor person who was born with (insert condition here). They can do all of the things that a regular person can, how amazing!"
I get told all the time I don't seem autistic. I tell people I hide it really well. They still don't believe me, I'm not going to flap in front of them when that was bullied it of me. I'm not going to show them my most private thoughts in my diary. I'm not going to admit that what ten people are laughing at, I didn't say as a joke.

I get told all the time I don't seem autistic. I tell people I hide it really well. They still don't believe me, I'm not going to flap in front of them when that was bullied it of me. I'm not going to show them my most private thoughts in my diary. I'm not going to admit that what ten people are laughing at, I didn't say as a joke.
i never understand why aspies get that slur- 'you dont seem autistic'... high functioning autistics in particular are socially conditioned to be part of the neurotypical world so of course you guys are going to mask your autism.

id personally never say to someone 'you dont look/seem autistic' as it is denying a part of that person whether you agree with it or not, its a disablist slur and is also very rude, and hey im LFA and know that, neurotypicals have no excuse.

New Threads

Top Bottom