• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Obsessions

How stuff works pretty much
I have a lot of problems using items if I don't know exactly how they work. I'll feel weird if I'm sitting in a chair with a mechanism and can't focus until I know how it works.

My parents used to really hate this because I refused to use a key, demanding my dad to explain how a lock works first xD (and more stuff like that ofcourse) and have that with pretty much anything, mechanical/biological, whatever

Aside from that, not exactly obsessions I suppose. I have some compulsions but I don't know if I can file those under obsessions

You mean special interests? If so, of course; I have many.

Some would include a horror TV series called "A Haunting", Neuroscience/Psychology/Autism Spectrum Disorders in general, Genetics. Tall trees, photography, maps/GPS systems (i.e. I go on road trips to try and find undiscovered tall trees, which I take with me my DSLR, a laser rangefinder for measuring tree height, and a GPS so I can geotag the photos I take and the trip itself). Lately I've also been quite involved in my setup of a home server, and the specs of computer hardware.

How about yourself? Personally I do not think there is anything wrong with my interests at all. My interests keep me intrigued in the world, as a learner, adventurer, etc. :) And chances are there are probably other people who share your deep interests.

e.g. http://www.monumentaltrees.com/en/users/nickmcummins/

As for me, I'm into 70s/80s music and movies, dogs, birds, my family tree, vinyl records, swimming and bike riding. :)

Doll collecting, comic books,makeup,80s music and cartoons,Disney princess movies, marvel movies, mythology and paranormal romance novels.

Obsessions shift around from time to time for a variety of reasons (interest moves around, no funds to keep interest going; especially since I have/had a few that require physical items) and I often wonder how much they're obsessions. I mean, yeah, sure... they stick around for a while and I can spend a decent amount of time on them, but obsession, for me, always connotates this tunnel vision where you abandon everything else in life for extended periods (not that I never spend 50+ hours in one go on one thing; but that to me is where obsession starts for me); I mean, I've went "off the radar" for friends, past relationships, parents (and I share a house with them) for weeks.

A few tend to stick around enough for me to not pass up the opportunity to do something related to said interests (which can be anything from reading, watching videos on it, experimenting/trying out some new stuff in said field). That said... pick your poison;

Guitars, synthesizers, musicproduction, (doomsday)cults, doomsdaytheories, folkore, demonology, a handful of favorite comicbooks (and associated characters), tabletop wargaming (and painting that's often involved in said hobby), biohacking, bodymodifcations (anything from piercings and tattoos to the more hardcore stuff), transhumanism, and a handful of stuff I'll not mention for legal reasons, lol. Yeah... guess that's it... language could be another one, but I haven't really had an urge to pick anything up for a while besides an increasing fluency in sarcasm.

That's probably the core of what keeps my busy usually, sometimes when there's an opening, I squeeze in something new until I've had enough of said topic and move on to something else.

Reading the rest, to put some extra things in. Not going for obsessions but interests then.

I used to get really into tv and gaming. Knew everything and anything about the games I played and the shows I watched, right now I am very much into ww2 armor (especially German tanks) and all the facts and myths surrounding the "wunderwaffe" (probably a bit of a direct cause of said games)
Had a long time where I was really into metal (though my taste in what hands exactly was really picky to the point even I couldn't really make sense in it) and I used to scramble as many reviews, numbers and details about motorcycles together

But right now? I'm way too stressed out from school etc to keep myself concentrated on anything if I wish to remember stuff, so I tend to just watch YouTube videos all day long.

Progressive rock music and language learning. Learning about ASD became a kind of special interest when I was diagnosed. Internet forums. As a hobby, I watch old sci fi TV series.

The obsessions I have had are rats, food poisoning, various celebrities, murderers, prison and owls. At the moment I am finding it really hard to stick to one thing that makes me happy. This is distressing and even my psychiatrist and psychologist don't really understand why its upsetting. The thing I enjoy the most right now that is not an obsession (yet) is Art. :)

I have many interests that come and go as I get older. My main obsession is machines and always has been. As a child, I was always taking things apart. Unfortunately, I was not near as good at putting things back together and I got into a lot of trouble. If I see a machine that is unfamiliar, I just have to figure out how it works and what it does. The machine in my avatar is a good example. I spent several hours walking around it, trying figure it out. However, there is a fence around it and I could not get to close. I had to settle for reading about it. Without the fence, I could entertain myself all day with that one.

I run in and out of obsessions, but I suppose right now, being online, could be constituted as an obsession because I am find it a struggle to do other things, which is really annoying! I succeed and then, hurry back to my machine. Have no idea why, because it can be boring online; I prefer specific goals to work towards and hate "surfing" the internet.

My last obsession was several month's ago, with ebola and last for 2 weeks.

I am obsessed with reading a chapter of my bible every night.

I am obsessed with the colour red right now and truly frustrated that it actually makes me feel sick that I do not have any smart clothes for summer that are red!

Colours in general are an obsession and everything has to match.

Oh obsessed with listening to Chayanna which is a spanish singer!

Mine since spring has been programming in C. Finally found a programming language that i don't get tired of. Been trying to learn webprogramming earlier, but don't find that so interesting. Trying to learn something extra incase i have to find a new job someday, and finally found something i can work with for hours on my spare time.

In addition i watch alot of documentary videos lately. Mosty about the Universe, and i especially find black wholes and magnetars fasinating. In addition i also like to watch documentaries about cults, prisons and crimes.

Obsessions - learning about my various health issues (FND, CFS, JHS, GAD & the self diagnosed ASD. Diagnosis scrabble, anyone?)
I have to put my washed up cutlery and plates in certain places on the draining board otherwise it niggles. Some of my house is 'organised chaos' but some has to be a certain way for me to feel comfortable.
Interests - my brother pointed out that I go through phases, being intensely interested in certain things then abandoning them for something else. Tai Chi - though lack of funds stopped me going. Learning Japanese - I wish I had more self-discipline to learn the whole language! Steampunk (fun, hope this is a long-term interest).
I seem to only be able to do things if I'm 'in the mood' for it. Does this sound Aspergian to you?

Beating Clubstep in Geometry Dash. I got 97% the other day and I won't rest until I get 100% with all 3 coins.

I seem to only be able to do things if I'm 'in the mood' for it. Does this sound Aspergian to you?

I don't know if it's Aspergian, but I'm totally like that. Unfortunately I'm rarely in the mood for anything other than going on the internet and playing Geometry Dash. I read and watch TV as well, but I'm not obsessed with any particular book or TV programme (guess the closest thing to a TV obsession is watching old Doctor Whos on the Horror channel). To be honest, all my obsessions have been utterly useless. If only I could get into something intelligent or which stood a chance of making me some money.

Obsessions - learning about my various health issues (FND, CFS, JHS, GAD & the self diagnosed ASD. Diagnosis scrabble, anyone?)
I have to put my washed up cutlery and plates in certain places on the draining board otherwise it niggles. Some of my house is 'organised chaos' but some has to be a certain way for me to feel comfortable.
Interests - my brother pointed out that I go through phases, being intensely interested in certain things then abandoning them for something else. Tai Chi - though lack of funds stopped me going. Learning Japanese - I wish I had more self-discipline to learn the whole language! Steampunk (fun, hope this is a long-term interest).

Do you have problems focusing on the same thing? Seems like adhd and aspergers, can get easily mixed. I can easily get bored and start doing other things, but when i find something that interest me, then i can study it for monts and get real good at it. Some of the symptoms sound like me. In my case, i seem to have symptoms of both adhd and some asperges.

I'm not diagnosed, and i'm on this forum because i'm trying to figure things out, and because i have much in common with many people on this forum whether i got aspergers or not.

Last edited:
I am obsessed with American Sign Language (ASL) and learning about other cultures. I love learning about how other people live. I guess I might be a little different. I also love to research cars and dogs. Dog training is a passion for me. Cars, well, I love learning how to fix them when they break down.

Many people here already know my obsession, which is communication in morse code. I do it because it is so much fun, challenging and non threatening to me.

Mywaysigning - I was obsessed with learning sign language whilst at secondary school, with very few resources and ended up mixing BSL and ASL. At the time I had no reason to use it other than enjoyment. About twenty years later I decided to create a mute Live Roleplay character and revived my obsession, for a few weeks anyway.

Helge - I'm not diagnosed yet either. I can usually focus on the same thing for a while but do go through phases. I have trouble in the longer term. In the short term, brainfog and memory issues (from FND, CFS and JHS) are not helping my concentration....though I can still manage to obsess on my health puzzle!

When a teen, I deciphered the dwarven runes around the edge of The Hobbit and learned elvish enough so that by the time I was writing love letters to my now-husband, they were in Elvish! Poor man, he had to decipher quite a few!

New Threads

Top Bottom