• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm quickly approaching my fortieth year of using tobacco: cigarettes, cigars, especially the pipe, snuff, dip, snus; if I haven't consumed a particular product, I've probably used something quite like it. I do, however, marvel at how things have changed (mostly for the better) in regards to tobacco use; forty years ago, who would ever have imagined a doctor not smoking his pipe in a hospital, or people not smoking while on an airplane...the list is endless.

At this point, beating people over the head with facts about what tobacco use can do is just silly, mildly offensive, and counter-productive. Tobacco isn't good for my health? No sh--! Cancer doesn't just run in my (non-smoking) family, it gallops; I've seen six members die from it. But there are a lot of ways to die, not many of them are particularly pleasant, and unless I choose suicide or assisted-death, I don't get to choose how I go.

As with any addiction, given that the addict is often very aware of the negative consequences of their addiction, it's always both interesting and useful to ask what is the addict getting from their usage? That's a (largely subjective) discussion for another thread.

I don't unreservedly defend tobacco use, particularly cigarettes. But I find that simple "yeas" or "nays" aren't particularly illuminating or constructive. Not too very long ago, while I was waiting to find out the nature of a lump that I had, I reflected upon all the things I have done or am still doing that leave me prone to developing cancer: I was okay with it all. Whether as a troubled teenager living on the street taking some measure of comfort in hand-rolled cigs, or as an adult sitting down to a cup of coffee and a pipe of good tobacco in the middle of a long, hard day of work, tobacco has added, in many ways, to the quality of my life. As to what effect it will have on the quantity of my life, well, I won't know until it's over will I?

It didn't help that I grew up in a household dominated by it a majority of the time. It was a rabid assault on my senses, I'm not doubting that at all, but when you're dependent on them like I eventually was you're not thinking about the toxic chemicals or the fumes, you're only waiting for the initial "buzz" to wear off and then it's on to the next one. That was the ebb and flow of it for me anyways.

Someone in this thread mentioned most of us being logical thinkers (which I both agree and disagree with), to which I'll just say this: it feels great to be away from it at last. Sadly, some don't realize this or even care much at all until the very last second when the doctor comes back with the grim prognosis. Yes, I've always been aware of the long-term and short-term effects through both education and personal experience prior to that, and if I could go back in time to refuse that first cigarette I would do so in a heartbeat. Temptation and other factors overruled logic in my case - not that I feel guilty about it, it's just another lesson learned.

This sad story is why, even when I did smoke, I never smoked around my kids. I did not smoke in my house or in the car. I always went outside to smoke, even in the winter.

What kind of a chance does a person have if they are addicted to nicotine before they are old enough to smoke?

I started smoking when I was 16 or 17, but I didn't become an avid smoker until I was 21 or so. I have tried to quit many times with no success. I hope to quit soon so I can save money but it's so hard

New Threads

Top Bottom