• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musings Of The TV Show "Doc Martin"

Judge

V.I.P Member
I've watched this British comedy-drama tv series for years. Though over time some things continue to puzzle me. I see it as kind of a Cornish version of the popular American tv series, "Northern Exposure". A quaint story of a small community with a lot of odd characters.

The shows title character Dr. Martin Ellingham (Martin Clunes) is obviously depicted as an autistic professional, remaining an amazingly good doctor/diagnostician who continues to evade who and what he is. Made worse in a production where only in a single episode where someone told him they thought he was on the spectrum of autism and was promptly ignored. Yet the question remains is this purely because of his professional ego, or a fragile refusal to deal with the reality of who and what he is? Taking into account that only on very rare occasions would he expose himself in a highly emotional state.

One aspect of this series that has always made me uncomfortable remains Martin's inability to be kind even to the woman he loves, Louisa Glasson (Caroline Catz). She seems so even-tempered and desperate to get along with Martin, while occasionally exploding at him to bluntly remind him of just how unpopular he is with the village they live and work in, called Portwenn. Where so often such interactions between the two of them are downright painful to observe. Reminding me on occasion of some of my own faux-pas when it comes to dealing with NT lovers.

One source of amusement otherwise though continues to be with Martin's Auntie Ruth (Eileen Atkins) who is a forensic psychologist and a bit more amicable to Martin as opposed to his deceased Auntie Joan. Though the big difference I see between Ruth and NT-Joan (who left the cast some years ago) is that Ruth Ellingham is also autistic, yet her social interactions with the villagers always seem considerably more pleasant than that of her nephew Martin. Still, I find the difference between the two rather amusing.

Yet the show has continued to a tenth and final season (I have yet to see) where the issue of autism itself remains elusive to the production. Kind of reminding me in a negative way of creators Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady of the series "The Big Bang Theory". Where the creators seem to continually dance around the subject of autism to escape crticism and keep their fans guessing. I suppose this will always annoy me when it comes to the series "Doc Martin". That not directly addressing autism even in jest seems yet another way to unintentionally stigmatize autism. Too bad. I guess another thing that irritates me is that actor Martin Clunes portrays his character so well. Making his fictional Dr. Martin Ellingham very real to me. Though in this respect I also take into account the series' producer (Phillippa Braithwaite) is also Martin Clunes' real-life wife. I'd love to ask either or them exactly what precisely motivates them to continually avoid the issue of autism itself, while portraying it so well. Or was it merely marketing/political implications that creators/writers like Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady sought to avoid to keep the show's public relations above repproach?

Last edited:
White gloves treatment of autism because of upsetting the audience, or losing advertising dollars?

White gloves treatment of autism because of upsetting the audience, or losing advertising dollars?

Yep. Could well parallel the exact reasoning of network execs above the ranks of producers and directors across the pond. But in Doc Martin they make it so clear as to what Dr. Ellingham's issues really are. Not so much with The Big Bang Theory.

It's first and foremost entertainment, and not a documentary. Still how they go about it can be maddening.

I just wish they had depicted Doc Martin being able to improve a little. Showing at least a glimpse of his humanity from time to time rather than a complete lack of it.

Last edited:
I think Doc Martin cares very much about people, not just because he's a medical expert but I can sense there is generally caring going on with him and his patients, and he does his work very effectively.

I think someone on the show did mention Asperger's to Doc Martin in a couple of episodes, so I think the character is on the spectrum. My friend (used to be a member here) says she's like Doc Martin in lots of ways, and I agree.
I'm not like Doc Martin though, far from it. I'm more like Homer Simpson; hyperactive, short attention span, quirky and often dumb lol.

I think Doc Martin cares very much about people, not just because he's a medical expert but I can sense there is generally caring going on with him and his patients, and he does his work very effectively.

I think someone on the show did mention Asperger's to Doc Martin in a couple of episodes, so I think the character is on the spectrum. My friend (used to be a member here) says she's like Doc Martin in lots of ways, and I agree.
I'm not like Doc Martin though, far from it. I'm more like Homer Simpson; hyperactive, short attention span, quirky and often dumb lol.

I just haven't met anyone here who stayed for very long who was quite a rude as Doc Martin seems to be on a regular basis. They would have gotten the boot sooner or later. :D

Though I suppose one reason for portraying him as such is to make the incredibly rare scenes of him being both civil and nice stand out. He definitely seems to be a bit more friendly to those who openly both understand his medical advice and adhere to what he advises. But even then it's terribly subtle, IMO.

Conversely to most of his patients, he seems to rip them a new one when they display stupidity and fail to follow his medical advice. "Zero bedside manner", as one of his youngest patients once commented about in the local newspaper...lol. Then again I find Eileen Atkin's portrayal of Auntie Ruth as quite good- and authentic. She comes across as being very real and very British, yet also autistic.

I might have a more in-depth perception of such characters had I watched the series "House". But I've only heard about that character. Never got around to seeing more than an episode or two.

Last edited:
As for dancing around the issue of autism on the show-

Perhaps it is not addressed because the show centers around how the personalities interact? The behaviors of the townspeople are exaggerated in order to be more obvious to the viewers?
If they discussed autism in any detail, it would cause the viewership to argue endlessly about their opinions of autism? Perhaps distract them from simply enjoying the show? Maybe some folk watch the TV as escapism from the world's issues and don't really want to know? The producers probably don't want to rock the boat?

As for dancing around the issue of autism on the show-

Perhaps it is not addressed because the show centers around how the personalities interact? The behaviors of the townspeople are exaggerated in order to be more obvious to the viewers?
If they discussed autism in any detail, it would cause the viewership to argue endlessly about their opinions of autism? Perhaps distract them from simply enjoying the show? Maybe some folk watch the TV as escapism from the world's issues and don't really want to know? The producers probably don't want to rock the boat?

They wouldn't have to clinically discuss autism, but I think they could do better in at least acknowledging it rather than keeping "in the closet". Less stigmatization that way. In as much as I like the show, sometimes I feel we are the butt of their joke. That sometimes bothers me.

At times it can be a weird dichotomy. I mean, Martin Clunes plays this character so damn well.

But then let's face it, network programmers and producers want revenue- not enlightenment. I doubt such considerations are any different on the other side of the pond. :(

Last edited:
It's covered here:

The difference is that BBT has a different style of comedy and a different style of drama.
Perhaps a humour/humor split.

BBT has to be coy about ASD.
Doc Martin uses ASD traits, but they're not the core of his character or of the show's interpersonal interactions.

The most exaggerated regular characters I can remember are Bert Large and the pharmacist (Sally Tishell).

Last edited:
The most exaggerated regular characters I can remember are Bert Large and the pharmacist (Sally Tishell).
I've always thought of most of the regulars as being "exaggerated". Why the show reminds me of "Northern Exposure".

Tempting to overthink it, maybe, being close to the issue. Keeping the real theme behind the veil is what sells commercials. Like the sexual tension between the doctor and the pilot on Northern Exposure, they can drag it out for seasons before the slightest inching forward of the relationship. Common marketing ploy.

But, IDK. I didn't know they were still filming, watched several seasons before I self-diagnosed. Never knew what his problem was, but felt the writers were on to something with certain people having little patience with the follies of the masses. It made me feel vindicated, because the Doc always was sincere in wanting to help, and people in general didn't always cooperate. My wife liked him, but maybe she was just a fool for the type. Now I have to see if I can find it and watch it in a new light.

If we are to consider every fictional curmudgeonly character as "On The Spectrum", then what about Ebeneezer Scrooge? Archie Bunker? Yosemite Sam? Dr. Gregory House? Red Forman? Oscar the Grouch? Al Bundy? Squidward Tentacles? Eeyore? Statler and Waldorf? Sophia Petrillo? Dr. Perry Cox? Perry Mason? Sherlock Holmes? Moe Szyzlak? Dorothy Zbornak? Frank Barone? C. Montgomery Burns? Dr. Leonard McCoy? Carla Torelli? Frank Costanza? Leroy Jethro Gibbs? Fred Flintstone? George Jefferson? . . . the list goes on.

The mere fact that someone is a snarky, sarcastic old grouch does NOT necessarily mean they are "On the Spectrum".

Besides, fictional characters are just that -- fictional. They are made up, created to portray a specific type, usually as a foil to the more 'normal' characters as a form of comic relief. The actors themselves (voice actors too) are not necessarily autistic, either.

Also, why this propensity among Spectrumites to declare only heroic or anti-heroic characters as Spectrumites, and not ordinary characters, or even fictional villains?

If we are to consider every fictional curmudgeonly character as "On The Spectrum", then what about Ebeneezer Scrooge? Archie Bunker? Yosemite Sam? Dr. Gregory House? Red Forman? Oscar the Grouch? Al Bundy? Squidward Tentacles? Eeyore? Statler and Waldorf? Sophia Petrillo? Dr. Perry Cox? Perry Mason? Sherlock Holmes? Moe Szyzlak? Dorothy Zbornak? Frank Barone? C. Montgomery Burns? Dr. Leonard McCoy? Carla Torelli? Frank Costanza? Leroy Jethro Gibbs? Fred Flintstone? George Jefferson? . . . the list goes on.

The mere fact that someone is a snarky, sarcastic old grouch does NOT necessarily mean they are "On the Spectrum".

Besides, fictional characters are just that -- fictional. They are made up, created to portray a specific type, usually as a foil to the more 'normal' characters as a form of comic relief. The actors themselves (voice actors too) are not necessarily autistic, either.

Also, why this propensity among Spectrumites to declare only heroic or anti-heroic characters as Spectrumites, and not ordinary characters, or even fictional villains?
Doc Martin has quite a few autistic traits. In fact the only one listed in the DSM that I don’t think he has is stimming.

An ordinary character really can’t be autistic, by definition, and there are a few villains listed on this old thread:

“What fictional characters do you suspect of being autistic?”

Well, there you go! Fictional characters can only be suspected of being autistic, unless otherwise stated by the producers, directors, writers, or the actors themselves.

Personally, I see the Doc Martin character as an adult product of cold and indifferent parenting, rather than an intrinsically autistic person.

He has is tender moments.

I just haven't met anyone here who stayed for very long who was quite a rude as Doc Martin seems to be on a regular basis. They would have gotten the boot sooner or later. :D

Though I suppose one reason for portraying him as such is to make the incredibly rare scenes of him being both civil and nice stand out. He definitely seems to be a bit more friendly to those who openly both understand his medical advice and adhere to what he advises. But even then it's terribly subtle, IMO.

Conversely to most of his patients, he seems to rip them a new one when they display stupidity and fail to follow his medical advice. "Zero bedside manner", as one of his youngest patients once commented about in the local newspaper...lol. Then again I find Eileen Atkin's portrayal of Auntie Ruth as quite good- and authentic. She comes across as being very real and very British, yet also autistic.

I might have a more in-depth perception of such characters had I watched the series "House". But I've only heard about that character. Never got around to seeing more than an episode or two.
His rudeness is hilarious, though. If he were rude without being funny he would be completely unlikable. Now that I think about it, he rather reminds me of the guy from Fawlty Towers.

Well, there you go! Fictional characters can only be suspected of being autistic, unless otherwise stated by the producers, directors, writers, or the actors themselves.

Personally, I see the Doc Martin character as an adult product of cold and indifferent parenting, rather than an intrinsically autistic person.

He has is tender moments.
A few people mentioned that Asperger’s has been brought up several times on the show. Actually the first person who brings it up is Doc Martin himself, if I recall correctly. He says something about it being discussed when he was a child. He seems to me like a man with Asperger’s who also has issues stemming from childhood emotional neglect.

A few people mentioned that Asperger’s has been brought up several times on the show. Actually the first person who brings it up is Doc Martin himself, if I recall correctly. He says something about it being discussed when he was a child. He seems to me like a man with Asperger’s who also has issues stemming from childhood emotional neglect.
"Mentions" are not proof; neither are accusations, discussions, suspicions, or the opinions of fictional characters.

Sure, the character's behavior may mimic some of the classic symptoms of AS/HFA, but so do the behaviors of adult children of abusive/neglectful parents -- which was also stated and implied throughout the programme.

His rudeness is hilarious, though. If he were rude without being funny he would be completely unlikable. Now that I think about it, he rather reminds me of the guy from Fawlty Towers.
That's where I like to step back and just admire and chuckle at actor Martin Clunes- not Dr. Martin Ellingham.

"Mentions" are not proof; neither are accusations, discussions, suspicions, or the opinions of fictional characters.

Sure, the character's behavior may mimic some of the classic symptoms of AS/HFA, but so do the behaviors of adult children of abusive/neglectful parents -- which was also stated and implied throughout the programme.
I’m not sure what you mean. You said: “Fictional characters can only be suspected of being autistic, unless otherwise stated by the producers, directors, writers, or the actors themselves,”… and I’m telling you that several people who have commented on this thread have pointed out that Doc Martin being autistic has been stated by several people associated with the show—including, in at least one episode, by the character himself.

Adult survivors of childhood emotional neglect have very low self-esteem and struggle with lack of purpose/identity, depression, anxiety, addiction, etc. Doc Martin has none of these traits.

New Threads

Top Bottom