• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Musical Talent?

A friend of mine had aspergers (he died a few years ago) and he was a really good lead guitarist. He had been on a TV show with his band in the seventies and later taught guitar. However, he eventually just lost the desire to continue and became hypercritical of his playing. Needless to say if the fun goes out of it and it isn't there, not much will happen. I think that's why I promised myself not to get too bogged down as I get disheartened easily with music. I find it better to do it only when I feel like it.

Absolutely! Those intense, classical days are behind me, but I still love music, and always will. I'm glad I've found healthier outlets for it. :cool:

I have taken a big step forwards. I figured out how to mix on my synth so now there will be some major improvement. Actually it turned out to be very simple. It's really just a tape recorder function and you can play back track one, play over it and then you can play back the first, original track, plus the bit you added. So, today I started with the riff. Then I added some chords. Then lead guitar and finally drum beats. At this point as I play it all back it seems to sound really O.K. So, basically I tell myself I need to just have the same patience as I've had with my valve radio interest and maths. It's a case of not trying to run before I can walk and not defeat myself before I give it time. I mean there have been times when a big black cloud has come over my head and I've felt maybe it just isn't going to happen and I should forget it. That's why it helps to try and do music only when I'm inb the mood and have also spent time on my other interests. A bit like not putting all my eggs in one basket. Anyway what I have is a sort of fuzz riff with echoe backround, some nice chord transitions and subtle lead guitar. Not a song as such but catchy so I seem to be sticking with the improvisation style.

I'm glad you mentioned "shared input" and "songs and melodies"!

Re: "shared input" -- I've always been terrible about that! I've realized that if I want to do anything with music out in the world, I need to collaborate. Especially since my Aspie interests tend to run towards stuff that has limited appeal. I would very much like to learn how to collaborate with others. When I did my last batch of songs, I consulted with a couple of musically-inclined friends, and their responses were incredibly valuable. The changes they suggested worked out quite well.

Re: "songs and melodies" -- I also noticed that most of the stuff others put on SoundCloud is instrumental. Neat stuff, but I'm curious to hear how other Aspies write songs. I posted my own SoundCloud link a few posts back, and a bunch of my songs are up there now. Only two of them are instrumentals, and those were just arrangements of old video game themes. Pretty much everything I write has words and typical Western song structure.

I hope you keep plugging away at songwriting! Even if you're never quite satisfied with the results, I swear the journey is rewarding in itself. "Hours can pass"--that's a great sign!

I kind of can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but if you would ever like some feedback about your work, I'd be happy to lend an ear, or to discuss how to get from inspiration to completion! :)

I have taken a big step forwards. I figured out how to mix on my synth so now there will be some major improvement. Actually it turned out to be very simple. It's really just a tape recorder function and you can play back track one, play over it and then you can play back the first, original track, plus the bit you added. So, today I started with the riff. Then I added some chords. Then lead guitar and finally drum beats. At this point as I play it all back it seems to sound really O.K. So, basically I tell myself I need to just have the same patience as I've had with my valve radio interest and maths. It's a case of not trying to run before I can walk and not defeat myself before I give it time. I mean there have been times when a big black cloud has come over my head and I've felt maybe it just isn't going to happen and I should forget it. That's why it helps to try and do music only when I'm inb the mood and have also spent time on my other interests. A bit like not putting all my eggs in one basket. Anyway what I have is a sort of fuzz riff with echoe backround, some nice chord transitions and subtle lead guitar. Not a song as such but catchy so I seem to be sticking with the improvisation style.

Glad to hear you've found an effective approach! That's how I do it a lot of the time--one track at a time, see what happens.

That's a good approach--wait for the muse to come to you! To me, music that isn't fun to make isn't worth making. I'm sure people who worked with Phil Spector would back me up on that one!

Got down and discouraged a couple of days ago. I pushed the demo key on my synth and was pretty blown away by the sample track. Somebody had put it together to show what the keyboard is really capable of and I had to admit it was way way beyond anything I could produce. The shock came in terms of instrumental skills and mixing.
You could say I'm now recovered from the shock of hearing a keyboard played by an accomplished pro but I do find myself thinking a lot about the apparent illogic of music. I'll explain:
The thing is it seems to me there are really huge, wide gaps between songs or numbers performed by groups and artists. Some draw on quite accomplished, highly skilled instrumental skills, plus diverse mixing whereas other stuff can be very simple. For me I still have problems digesting the concept of something simple still being good.
Anyway, I just put together a rock theme and am actually quite happy with it although it's really simple. My mind tells me it can't really be any good as there is no complexity or advanced instrumental quality but my ear and gut feeling tells me it sounds O.K. regardless. The bass consists of only 4 notes (with pitch variation) but once I switched to an eighties synth bass (instead of traditional) and added a very basic "bang boom" drum beat, it clicked. Then somehow I stumbled upon another really simple keyboard sequence and the whole thing then just fell into place as if made to fit somehow. I've just mixed in a bit of lead guitar filling in (improvised at this point) and what emerges is a catchy little rock number. I wouldn't say it's the kind of thing I'd aspire to put together as I prefer really melodic material but still.......
A good example of what I'm trying to get across I think is the following so everybody please try and digest this. I say that because the funny thing is I located my example song on YouTube this minute and I read some comments below. Other people are apparently thinking what I'm thinking here (about my example):
PAUL McCARTNEY - DANCE TONIGHT - YouTube
This song Paul McCartney strummed on a simple mandolin. People here wiser than myself will know what chords he's using and the story goes he was in a really happy mood, picked up the instrument, strummed and wrote the song instantly. O.K., this isn't the sort of thing I'd go out and buy but it's still basically a damned good party song (illogically damned good). It boils down to incredibly simple strumming, mega simple drums and very normal bass. Even the lyrics are childishly simple. Someone below writes:
"everything about this song is simple - simple bass line - simple guitar - simple beat - simple mandolin - the melody even sounds simple - BUT try to write a song like this :) even other songwriters fail - paul is one of a kind."
The above quotation sums up what puzzles me a lot. You see, McCartney I think doesn't question music in terms of complexity. He doesn't get headaches thinking, "This is too simple, so I'll bin it!" I think he just uses his ear and doesn't complicate what he does if it sounds O.K. In fact I seriously doubt Macca lost any sleep over this song, wondering if by adding more chords and more complex bass runs it would be better.
The amazing irony is any 10 dollar busker or street entertainer is capable of strumming this sort of thing but McCartney does something that defies logic and gives me headaches.
Anyone have any thoughts? How is it one sing can show amazing complexity and be technically brilliant while another can be childishlyu simple yet the one people often hum at home is the simple one!!

Glad to hear you've found an effective approach! That's how I do it a lot of the time--one track at a time, see what happens.

That's a good approach--wait for the muse to come to you! To me, music that isn't fun to make isn't worth making. I'm sure people who worked with Phil Spector would back me up on that one!

I experimented starting off with bass before anything else. Any bass line that may develop after some fiddling about. Then work in drums. After that comes the hard part, some sort of chord sequence or riff on top. So far I do fairly basic mixes so the bass, for example, will be straightforward.
If I do too much or try too hard I get discouraged so try to only pick up the keyboard when I feel ready to have a go.

I don't know a great deal about Sound Cloud. I don't even know if I could upload onto it as my keyboard is probably early nineties. I agree very often you need someone to add suggestions and so on.

I'm glad you mentioned "shared input" and "songs and melodies"!

Re: "shared input" -- I've always been terrible about that! I've realized that if I want to do anything with music out in the world, I need to collaborate. Especially since my Aspie interests tend to run towards stuff that has limited appeal. I would very much like to learn how to collaborate with others. When I did my last batch of songs, I consulted with a couple of musically-inclined friends, and their responses were incredibly valuable. The changes they suggested worked out quite well.

Re: "songs and melodies" -- I also noticed that most of the stuff others put on SoundCloud is instrumental. Neat stuff, but I'm curious to hear how other Aspies write songs. I posted my own SoundCloud link a few posts back, and a bunch of my songs are up there now. Only two of them are instrumentals, and those were just arrangements of old video game themes. Pretty much everything I write has words and typical Western song structure.

I hope you keep plugging away at songwriting! Even if you're never quite satisfied with the results, I swear the journey is rewarding in itself. "Hours can pass"--that's a great sign!

I kind of can't believe I'm going to suggest this, but if you would ever like some feedback about your work, I'd be happy to lend an ear, or to discuss how to get from inspiration to completion! :)

I don't know a great deal about Sound Cloud. I don't even know if I could upload onto it as my keyboard is probably early nineties. I agree very often you need someone to add suggestions and so on.

Yeah, to get your stuff on to SoundCloud, you'll need to first get the digital recording out of your synth and on to your computer.

I don't know how much you know about doing that, but odds are your keyboard has a "line out" option. You'd need a cable going from the keyboard's line out to your computer's line in. Usually computers use a 1/8 inch jack and synths (especially from the 90s) would have a 1/4 inch jack for a patch cord, so odds are you'll need an adapter that converts a 1/4" male plug to an 1/8" male plug.

Got to run now...I'm sure I'll have more to add later, especially re: that wonderful, mysterious question--what makes some music good and not others?

I play the flute and piccolo, and I sing...though I prefer singing over anything else. I have a love/hate relationship with my flute. :ninja2:

Reading this thread has made me realize that I have a musical love/hate relationship myself... I love/hate sharing music with others!

I had basically given up trying to make music with or for other people. When I realized recently that I'm an Aspie, it all made sense. My own music was one of my obsessions/interests, and I just wanted to please myself. Since the realization, I've been more able to separate pleasing myself with music from making music to please other people.

Not that I've ever done anything of the sort, but I can totally understand how playing an orchestral instrument could be brutal for an Aspie. I've known people who went to school for music, and the last thing I detected from of their experience was joy.

There's a good section in The Real Frank Zappa Book where he relates his opinions on orchestras and the politics between musicians in orchestras. It's pretty damn funny, from what I recall.

I am what I like to call a "recovering musician," in that I studied it very intensely in high school and college, but then it all became too much to handle and I quit. I tried picking up my instrument a couple of times in the past few year, and every time I do I remember immediately why I stopped; I'm thinking of selling it.

don't sell! I got rid of a couple of my guitars once, for the money (I was v skint). It was a wrench! Some things are worth more than the monetary value....

I hope you can get back your love of playing. I have had a similar problem, in that I learnt to play obsessively, and over the years the love of it was eroded by the "real world" chipping away at my enthusiasm. I taught music for over ten years, which definitely ended up with me viewing music as just "a job". I've not taught for five years now, and I'm getting back to enjoying music for my own pleasure. Just give it time :)

Music is a very personal thing, and for some reason it's a subject which everyone seems to have no problem commenting about. I let other people's negativity rub off on me, which stopped me enjoying myself as much. I'm slowly getting over that, and am currently enjoying recording backing tracks for my own use.

I am not diagnosed with an ASD, but considering whether to be evaluated.

I have been drawn to music from a very early age. I started piano lessons in elementary school and continued through high school. I was not really very dedicated to the lessons, but rather, at home I loved to attempt imitating the music in my videogames and from Disney movies by ear. Though my imitations were greatly simplified and I didn't grasp some of the sophisticated chords, they were good enough for my friends or parents to recognize.

In college and grad school I composed about 24 songs for piano and voice (though I was in college for biology and English, not music), and my best friend sang several over them. She lost interest for a time, and I lost steam, because I couldn't imagine finding someone else to sing over my music. I can sing somewhat, but not as well as she does. Sadly I didn't write my past songs down (never had the patience to retain and use written notation), and I've since forgotten how to play most of them.

I'm trying to revive this hobby and have purchased my first interface to connect my computer to my electric piano, which has 88 weighted keys and is essentially like a real piano.

My favorite band is Muse, and I adore their music so strongly that I almost feel it's part of my identity. I have a "life soundtrack" of mixed playlists since around age 14, and I keep building new playlists (slowly - I'm very specific about what I add).

I'm not sure if I'm a music wannabe, but I do want to start making music. I like singing. I just haven't gotten any singing lessons. I want to though, it's just I'll have to wait until I can get the money to afford singing lessons. I also want to learn how to play the guitar. I have been writing some songs, I just don't know whether my song writing is any good or not. I also want to start a band.

New Threads

Top Bottom