• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking a lot younger?

I am a vet student and recently a dog owner that came took one look at me and said ''if we are gonna have a vet that looks like a kid, we better had none''. The asistant professor reasurred them i can examine their pet but still...ouch.

That was rude. Maybe you should wear a sign saying, "I'm actually thirty, I just look very young". In case some other bonehead comes in who is arrogant enough to think that insulting people is more important that their pet's health. Just sayin'.

Awsome idea the sigh, but sadly the university clinic policy demands to wear strictly uniforms. Thanks for your validation of this behavior being rude. I feel that many neurotypicals have personality disorders but it is difficult for me to differentiate when someone is joking, being sarcastic or plain rude. I am new here and i want to ask: is there a thread or article or any resource about meltdowns? there is little online and i am tired of feeling insane, there must be a way to prevent or even control them.

I'm 36 but I've been told I look way younger. It may be because of diet and exercise and whatnot, though. I want to tell people I'm like 10 years older than I am just to mess with their heads.

Does anyone else have this? I have read that it is an Asperger trait! Is it a curse or a blessing?

I look 10 years younger (and act like one -I was stuck with a teenage mentality for 15 years..) and people are shocked when they hear my age. I do appreciate my looks, but I hate it when their face drops and they're like, "wow, that old"? Lol. Yeah, I'm 31 and look like 21. My two female AS friends also look and act 10 years younger (other is 37 and other 43)! :wub:

Yes, I have this.

I will be 44 next month but people ALWAYS think I am in my mid-20's. (My ex-girlfriend says I still look 15, and when I look back at pictures from when I was 15 it is somewhat true)

I see pictures of long-distance, old friends on Facebook that are my age-- I think "My God, is that the same person??" They have really aged a lot.

I just tell people it is my Alien DNA keeping me young.

Awsome idea the sigh, but sadly the university clinic policy demands to wear strictly uniforms. Thanks for your validation of this behavior being rude. I feel that many neurotypicals have personality disorders but it is difficult for me to differentiate when someone is joking, being sarcastic or plain rude. I am new here and i want to ask: is there a thread or article or any resource about meltdowns? there is little online and i am tired of feeling insane, there must be a way to prevent or even control them.

Guendolen: You wrote in your post, above: "it is difficult for me to differentiate when someone is joking, being sarcastic or plain rude"

I have this very same thing and it is absolutely maddening and embarrassing at times! I really do not read simple, facial cues or tones of voice very well to "get the joke" and am often offended feeling as if I am being attacked when in reality (supposedly) it is meant by the other person to be light-hearted and humorous.

Yes, totally embarassing. Once someone i dated told me ''i want us to die together'' which later i found out was prologue for a marriage proposal and i thought he wanted to commit double suicide. I told him by no means i will end my life with him and he needs psychiatric help.

A few events like that and he broke up with me. Not my fault when NT communication patterns are this complicated.

Whoa absolutely!

I am soon to be 45 and told that I look about 29 to 35 roughly! Sadly due to anxiety etc, I have lines but what astonishes me is that lines do not detract from how old or young a person looks!

I have always been behind both mentally and physically. When I was in my early 30's, I tried to sign for a catalog and this woman apologised and said I need to be over 18 to apply and was blown away and rather embarrassed when I said how old I was!!!

When I was younger, I hated looking so young for my age and also, my maturity level was sadly depleted and was often teased, because naturally, I had to be in the "adult" world.

It is finally at nearly 45, that I feel a resemblance of maturity, but still and very much the teenager, but that is actually good, because my best friend (finally) is coming up to 20 next year lol I can tap into the teenager mind and child's mind and an adult's mind and right now, I am thrilled when I am told that I look a lot younger!

Hi Suzanne, I agree with you nothing wrong with us aspies getting to look hot, life does have some karma. :p We get to win one!:D

I totally look a lot younger. (I love that word,'totally!' lol) I pass for being in my early twenties and I'm in my early thirties. No matter how hard I try to look older it doesn't really work.

Aaw! Kirsty love it, it's a blessing from nature, we have one thing the Nts envy.:cool:

Interesting! Jesus, huh........ Didn't the wise men love to celebrate Jesus' birth with gifts? Is it OK If ? I hope the wise man in your life at least offers to buy you something, but respects your wishes. : )

Wow! Yeah! It's difficult feeling so young, child like, PLAYFUL, yet having grown up hormones at this age (38, 45, etc). for me, it feels ridiculous........ aw.........

Not me Nightgirl, I'll bounce through the meadow with the flowers:sunflower: and bunnies :rabbit: if I want to, and will happily nuke :rocket: anyone who complains too much.:smilingimp: Just kidding :p maybe:rolleyes:

Now this has been a very interesting read ! My partner is an Aspie as well as having ADHD, ADD etc ... he is almost 31 . Yet gets I.D' when buying booze still. I'm older than him by 5 years. I have always told him he looks younger than his age. I can't wait to show him this thread. It really has been very fascinating xxxx

I still look about twelve or thirteen years old even though I'm really seventeen. I have a very young looking face and it doesn't help that I'm very small for my age either.

In the first week that I started at my sixth form, (I'm in Year 12) I was approached by a group of Year 7's (eleven to twelve year olds. Year 7 is the youngest year group in secondary school) who asked me if I was in Year 7 too and that if I was, they hadn't seen me before. I had to tell them that I was in sixth form and am studying for my A Levels. They looked shocked.

I have this experience also. I'm 40, but look and 20. It's annoying when people don't believe me and ask for ID. I even don't act my age, and some people are surprised by this.

I have always looked young for my age it used to be a curse (getting ID'd) now I'm 40 I love it when people don't believe my age. It's great

I do get mistaken for younger sometimes,i went with my husband to this Oktoberfest held near us late last year and I got stopped and asked for my id,but my husband says to me that I still look the same as when we met in 2006 also I'm a bit immature which probably adds to it aswell.

I get it constantly. I am 49 but, most guess me to be near 30 (ranges 28-36) I still get asked if I'm under 40 when I buy cigarettes, every time. If they talk to me online and do not see my face, they guess in my 40's but when they see me, they guess younger.

When I actually was younger, I passed for older. at 15, I passed for 21 or older but now, I pass for younger so, for me it has been an advantage throughout my life. Perhaps I simply do not change much, or perhaps it's because I have oily skin and do not have any deep and only a few minor wrinkles. As a youth that oily skin was a curse but now, it's a blessing.

I'm 30, but people frequently presume I am in my mid 20s, or even a bit younger. When I was 25 I was at a youth policy conference and had somebody presume I was in high school.

The funny thing is that much like Beverly people often presumed I was older than my age when I was a kid. This is probably because I have always been very tall, so it stands to reason. However, as I grew into adulthood I never really put on any muscle and didn't grow much facial hair, so people would presume I was still a teen.

Then I transitioned to become a woman. This probably "aged me up" in a lot of people's eyes, as masculine features in women are typically a sign of being older. Even so, people constantly treat me as though I am younger than I am. Even my boss sometimes acts like she is my mom (which is kind of weird).

If I were to pass myself off as a guy again I could probably pass for a high school student.

I don't know if it's an Aspie trait, but I always looked a lot younger. Once when I was 25 a flight attendant thought I was -16 years old... I'm not tall so I guess that also plays a part on me looking younger.
Mentally I've been confused to be +18 when I was 14 because due to my behaviour and fields of interests people assumed I was more mature.

New Threads

Top Bottom