• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Living in a big city

Rain91

Hi all :)
I was just wondering how many of you guys live in a big city. I have been living in Virginia beach for about three years and I still feel like a big outsider. It does not feel like home. To me home is a small town in Michigan where everything is 15 minutes away. The only thing stopping me from moving back up north is the snowy winters.
I guess the whole point of this post was to ask how do you cope with living in a big city?

I felt like that for 37 years of living in California. Crossed the border into Nevada and it feels like home to me.

Whatever that really means. My social life isn't any more improved, although people in general seem to be friendlier than they were in the Bay Area.

I felt like that for 37 years of living in California. Crossed the border into Nevada and it feels like home to me.

Whatever that really means. My social life isn't any more improved, although people in general seem to be friendlier than they were in the Bay Area.

What part of Nevada do you live in? I currently live in Las Vegas but lived in northern Nevada for a year. I really enjoyed it up there. Las Vegas is ok, but it's a really huge city and there's lots of traffic and a hectic lifestyle.

Regarding the topic in general, living in a bigger city like Las Vegas is fine for me in general, because I have access to stores and services in my general area of the city that are pretty close to my house. I do miss the more laid-back style of life in smaller towns there. Everybody here is in a hurry and I hate that.

What part of Nevada do you live in? I currently live in Las Vegas but lived in northern Nevada for a year. I really enjoyed it up there. Las Vegas is ok, but it's a really huge city and there's lots of traffic and a hectic lifestyle.

Regarding the topic in general, living in a bigger city like Las Vegas is fine for me in general, because I have access to stores and services in my general area of the city that are pretty close to my house. I do miss the more laid-back style of life in smaller towns there. Everybody here is in a hurry and I hate that.

I'm in the Metropolitan Reno area. Las Vegas? Nice place to visit, but it would be like living in California all over again.

I love the idea that it takes only a few minutes to be away from the city in the middle of nowhere if I choose. Love the desolation of the desert here. :)

Oh yes the driving in Virginia kills me. Everyone drives crazy. I wouldn't dare leave the house between 4-6 the traffic is crazy. it's like an instant panic attack as soon as I leave my house.
Nevada seems like a good choice to escape the snow lol. I was thinking of maybe going to Oregon, idk I hear it rains a lot out there.

Oh yes the driving in Virginia kills me. Everyone drives crazy. I wouldn't dare leave the house between 4-6 the traffic is crazy. it's like an instant panic attack as soon as I leave my house.
Nevada seems like a good choice to escape the snow lol. I was thinking of maybe going to Oregon, idk I hear it rains a lot out there.

I was raised in Fairfax County Va. I've heard the snow isn't what it used to be, but it's still way more than we encounter yearly in Northern Nevada. We're overdue for a decent snowstorm. Might come this winter if the El Nino pans out. But that's still mild by east coast standards IMO. Also there are far fewer people living here...another huge bonus!

I'm in the Metropolitan Reno area. Las Vegas? Nice place to visit, but it would be like living in California all over again.

I love the idea that it takes only a few minutes to be away from the city in the middle of nowhere if I choose. Love the desolation of the desert here. :)

Yeah there's a lot of things about northern Nevada that I miss. The people in general were friendlier and the pace of life was not as hectic as it is down here. I lived in the Reno metro area too, I was about a 45 minute drive from Reno. I had to go into Reno fairly frequently though when we needed certain specialty items we couldn't get where we live.

I love too how you can be a rural area here in Nevada very quickly. It's the same down here too, even though Vegas is huge, when you are a 15 minute drive out of town, you are pretty much in the middle of nowhere. I go with my wife on road trips to Caliente, which is like about a two hour drive north of here, about once every few months. It's a nice little town that's so much different than Vegas.

I think that the winter and spring are the rainy seasons in the Pacific Northwest. I think in the summer and the fall it's usually fairly dry there. I don't think they get much snow in the bigger cities. I was in Portland a few weeks ago and it was actually pretty warm and sunny, but the day we left it was raining and pretty cold. I think we went there during a period of unusually warm weather for that time of the year.

I live in Portland, OR. It does rain a lot (mostly in the winter), but I don't like a lot of sun, so the weather (for the most part) suits me. I am finding myself more and more stressed out by the noise (I have another post regarding how to "turn down the volume"). I should probably be living on the side of a mountain, but that has some practical limitations.

I like where I live. It's a nice quiet little rural area, but when I feel like getting a little culture, or seeing a show, or experiencing a little hustle-and-bustle, there are a few cities within driving distance. It's a nice compromise, I think.

I use to live in Toronto. It took me a while to get use to the busy city but I adapt. Now I living in Halifax that is very much smaller city that is very boring.

I use to live in Toronto. It took me a while to get use to the busy city but I adapt. Now I living in Halifax that is very much smaller city that is very boring.

I just moved to Toronto myself, so I could be close to work. I like that there are a lot of resources around that I wouldn't find elsewhere. But I also like being able to get out to visit family and friends in the suburbs on the weekend, where it's quieter.

I like where I live. It's a nice quiet little rural area, but when I feel like getting a little culture, or seeing a show, or experiencing a little hustle-and-bustle, there are a few cities within driving distance. It's a nice compromise, I think.

I like that compromise, too--I'd love to flip it so I spend more time in the peaceful, less crowded space! But it's nice having the option of changing up the scenery when I feel like it. I particularly like driving out in the country in the Fall, when the leaves have changed colours.

I think I'd be bored in Halifax, too! But mostly because I don't know anyone there. I'm looking forward to doing more things in the city, and taking advantage of my time here.

I just moved to Toronto myself, so I could be close to work. I like that there are a lot of resources around that I wouldn't find elsewhere. But I also like being able to get out to visit family and friends in the suburbs on the weekend, where it's quieter.

I like that compromise, too--I'd love to flip it so I spend more time in the peaceful, less crowded space! But it's nice having the option of changing up the scenery when I feel like it. I particularly like driving out in the country in the Fall, when the leaves have changed colours.

I think I'd be bored in Halifax, too! But mostly because I don't know anyone there. I'm looking forward to doing more things in the city, and taking advantage of my time here.
There people grew up in Nova Scotia say there not much to do here. The only thing I like hear is going to provincial, national parks and etc and camping. Cabot Trail was the best experience in my like. Hoping to leave Nova Scotia in a few years.

There people grew up in Nova Scotia say there not much to do here. The only thing I like hear is going to provincial, national parks and etc and camping. Cabot Trail was the best experience in my like. Hoping to leave Nova Scotia in a few years.

At some point, I'd like to travel to the Maritimes and take in all the natural beauty out there. But yes, I think of it more as a place to visit than anything else.

I live in Mexico City wich is a really big place, very stressful , a lot of traffic. I don´t really mind that because I don´t get out much, I´m never in traffic because all the places I go are very close to my home, but I know that If I had to drive far away every day, I just wouldn´t be able to live here.

New Threads

Top Bottom