• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let's talk about dress codes

Sabrina

Gentle & brave earthling
Ever since I was teenager I've wanted some converse boots. But I never got them because they were not feminine enough (something learned from my mother). But that didn't stopped me from feeling lust over that kind of shoes everytime I saw them.

Today I decided to walk, but the shoes I was wearing were not very comfortable, so I stopped in a big box store, very Walmart like, and looked for some shoes and socks. Suddenly, I saw these boots, not converse, but just like them, just another brand. My size, beautiful design of gray roses over black background.
I got them and now I'm wearing them! I feel such a Maverick, haha, forty somethings women are not suppose to wear this kind of shoes!
My teenage self is so proud of me.

Do you have dress code related experiences that you would like to share?

I was thinking of such things a few days ago while looking at shoes. Though I concluded just by observing men my age that shoe style either didn't matter or that no one cared. I often think the elderly go unnoticed when it comes to appearance. That fashion is for young people, though I'm not at all fashion conscious, per se.

So like Sabrina, I bought some shoes and like them. No matter what anyone thinks. :cool:

Interesting, I wore a pair of hiking boots for more than twenty years in the winter here. Black with white leather inside, italian made. When the eyelets rusted out and I could no longer find someone who would resole them, I had to throw them away. I still think of them, the most comfortable boots I've ever worn.
4c8e434ebb22652b4e942ce13387d59b.jpg
Somewhat like these.

Siblings in my family often wore the most stylish boots, high heeled or up to the knees, or unlined, without any traction in snow and ice. Watching them walk in these silly things always made me smile. They had to replace the boots every winter, as they never removed the salt that is prevalent here. So they spent the equivalent of thousands of dollars on boots. Whereas I bought mine once. I miss them, those boots, and have several pairs, but nothing like the ones I had for twenty plus years. People would look at these boots and tell me they were ugly. Yet I could walk easily and they fell down in the name of fashion quite often.:)

Last edited:
It kind of took the edge off High School in the 70s when so many girls wore hot pants and go-go boots.

But that may be a tad off-topic. I'm not sure. :cool:

The worst of dress codes I recall was having to wear formal business attire in 90 degree heat with 90 percent humidity one summer in having to attend training in Philadelphia. OMG. :eek:

If my shoes are not flat, with a large toe box, rubbery type sole with good traction, and brown I won't generally wear them. The exception being sneakers made from canvas. I'll allow for red or blue in those. I won't even wear ballerina
flats, not even close to comfy enough. And I wear my wide brown comfy shoes for all occasions. The same pair with cargo pants as with a skirt. Gallery hopping to the trail. Same shoes.

18071_P01.20150802000331.jpg

These are what I prefer. I wear them day in, day out. I bought some sandals recently because of the heat and my feet getting really hot (bleurgh) but I can't wear them, they feel horrible on my feet and I don't like my feet exposed. I also have some dolly shoes, bought for a funeral I need to attend because the above boots aren't suitable...

I don't have a dress code at all. I wear whatever I feel comfortable in. Coincidentally I've been wearing Converse since I was about 15 :D

I'm partial to certain styles and wear them regardless of trends. Nothing too loud or fancy or complicated. Nothing tight around my neck or really tight in general. No wool. No scratchy synthetics. No high heels. No skirts/dresses (unless I really have to, like a formal wedding).

If I like an item I buy 2 (or 4). If I love an item I wear it until it is in tatters (though have learned to do this only at home with my husband).

I'm 51, dye my hair red and purple, wear round glasses, and am partial to flat Mary Jane style shoes, my favorites being an old pair of Dr Martins. I figured I was just having a hard time adjusting to middle age and/or giving up my punk youth but dressing younger than your years seems to be an Aspie thing.

I do miss my pigskin waffle stompers. You know, the originals. Wore them for years in high school and college. I still recall one time when I decided to wear them to work ...my underwriting manager wasn't amused. :p

I can't even seem to find a picture of them online. Lots of wannabees, but nothing like the originals. o_O

I'm partial to certain styles and wear them regardless of trends. Nothing too loud or fancy or complicated. Nothing tight around my neck or really tight in general. No wool. No scratchy synthetics. No high heels. No skirts/dresses (unless I really have to, like a formal wedding).

If I like an item I buy 2 (or 4). If I love an item I wear it until it is in tatters (though have learned to do this only at home with my husband).

I'm 51, dye my hair red and purple, wear round glasses, and am partial to flat Mary Jane style shoes, my favorites being an old pair of Dr Martins. I figured I was just having a hard time adjusting to middle age and/or giving up my punk youth but dressing younger than your years seems to be an Aspie thing.
I don't wear things that come above the middle of my chest, it makes me uncomfortable.

My boots are those things I wear to tatters - I wear them everyday until they have holes in the soles.

I only wear jeans, and again I wear them til holes appear (I have big thighs, so it doesn't take long lol).

I'm very fussy about the length and fit of tops which makes it difficult to find things to feel comfy in.

I also never wear dresses unless its a wedding or funeral, and then its only the 50s style rockabilly cut types.

I have serious problems with dress codes. My mother forced me to wear dresses to church for years, but I hated them so much. Now, I will wear a skirt if absolutely necessary for job interviews or weddings, but now I just wear my Cargo pants/shorts with a comfy shirt everywhere I go. When I apply to jobs, I tend to take notice of what the other employees are wearing and if I can't abide by the organization's dress code, I don't pursue employment there. I actually got in trouble a lot at one place I worked, because I wouldn't wear the pants they "allowed". When it comes to martial arts classes, I only wear my cargo pants and a t-shirt, because the uniform is so uncomfortable to me. When I start Aikido when I find a job, this is going to cause a LOT of friction with my instructors, and there will be times I'll HAVE to wear the uniform, but I already know I'll be back in my pants and t-shirt as soon as possible.

I really resent being forced to wear clothes that irritate me so much, and will refuse to do so no matter what the consequences. I'm pretty sure this is one of those "disability accommodation" issues, but who wants to accommodate such a silly thing?

When I was young I was discouraged from wearing things that were too mature for me. According to experts, those kinds of things are now too young for me. :) Fortunately, my tastes have changed and I usually don't like those now.

I discovered a while back that if one dresses too fashionably, the clothes will go out of fashion before they wear out. My solution was to stop dressing in the latest fashions.

I got kind of obsessive about researching how to get away with wearing something as long as I want to and not look like I am wearing last season's clothes. Fashionists recognize something they call, "timeless fashions".

Timeless fashions mostly have clean lines and are often unique. They are never the latest fashion, so do not become unfashionable.

I did a ridiculous amount of research on timeless fashion and thoroughly analysed it as well. I also read up on choosing clothes for one's personal style type and body shape. I figured out what clothes need to have to keep me happy.

One of my basic criteria for good clothes is that they be comfortable. I mean really comfortable, comfortable enough to wear them to bed. I do not like to have to think about my clothes much once I have them on.

29 year old male; I used to always wear my work dress shirts with the top buttoned up, and without a tie. I was told by multiple people that it looks weird and so (eventually) I stopped wearing them like that. They said that one should only button the top one up if they're wearing a tie; I didn't know that. I just wanted to cover up my whole neck but I really don't want to weird people out more than I already do.

I also never wore shorts to school - nor do I ever wear sandals, at all. My legs are too embarrassingly hairy and the school always had the AC on. At home I always wear socks with slippers. Not sandals - slippers. I don't know, I just like wearing socks in general, even in the summer.

I shave all the time even if I hate it because I don't want a mustache and beard; they suit many men but they make me specifically look like a hobo. No thank you, I'd rather shave (and I tend to accidentally cut myself while shaving too, I have very sensitive skin).

I also never wore shorts to school - nor do I ever wear sandals, at all. My legs are too embarrassingly hairy and the school always had the AC on. At home I always wear socks with slippers. Not sandals - slippers. I don't know, I just like wearing socks in general, even in the summer.

That's how I always spot native Nevadans. The guys wearing shorts when it's 35 degrees outside. :p

Hobo look? It is strange how media has latched onto it. Though being semi-retired, so have I. Cuts down on the absurd cost of blades and loss of blood. ;)

Maybe it makes me that much more invisible. That I really like. Anonymity. But the beauty of growing old, and not caring what anyone thinks. :cool:

For Dylan our nonverbal five year old with moderate Autism and many sensory issues, he is very sensitive to trying any new outfits, as he is very aesthetic and tactile/texture sensitive, so he is extremely hesitant to allow our attempts to try anything else on him. He likes two color light gray polo long sleeve cotton shirts with soft collar not tight around the neck, as he itches a lot with wool and tight things. For pants it has to be stretch cotton comfortable dark gray sweat pants.

For Aaron, who is seven years old on the high end of the Spectrum, he likes one color short sleeve polo shirts with soft collar, either being navy blue, light gray, or white in color. He though is fine with long sleeve dress shirts, too, either solid color or some not too flashy pattern. For pants he likes blue jeans or tan khaki pants. I like clothes similar to him, but for me I usually make sure if the pants are lighter, then the shirt is darker, and vise versa. I am color coordinated.

I just read this on some random site "By age 30, women are expected to be a little more mature, and they should dress like it too." Never have I laughed so hard.

I always wear jeans, and I'll wear them until they fall apart (as my favourites did last week) I always wear tshirts with graphics on them, usually something I'm interested in or I find funny (I'm currently wearing a tee that's a Dr Seuss parody; it has a cat in the hat type drawing and say 'is the cat in the hat? by Dr Schrodinger') and on my feet it's always Converse or my bright pink Nike Air Max 07's (they're the most comfy thing ever). Yes, I probably dress younger (I suppose?) than most people my age, but so long as I'm happy and more importantly, comfortable..then I don't really see the issue.

New Threads

Top Bottom