• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lack of Commitment or Interest in Exercise or Diet?

BlackWolfie555

Does anyone have a hard time committing long term to exercise or diet?

Changing my food habits are difficult because when I start to have an emotional melt down, I cope with eating comfort foods. Then I go through an "I don't care" phase of eating, before feeling guilty for not being able to commit and end up trying again. Just ends up in a circle.

Also, I find exercising so boring. I listen to music, but I still find myself getting bored. I've also tried audiobooks which work for other aspects of my life to help me focus on specific tasks, but I still find myself getting bored exercising.

What do you do to help?

Yes absolutely. I would overeat put of boredom and if I was feeling down. Obviously, eating when you feel down makes no sense...because then you just feel even worse about yourself afterwards.

I got a gastric band :tearsofjoy:

It's the worse when you make yourself feel even worse because you over eat because of boredom. Because in my mind my inner monologue is telling me to get up and exercise, but then I grab snacks instead.

I cannot even contemplate getting the gastric band. I've had enough medical issues that I dislike surgery and being drugged.

It's the worse when you make yourself feel even worse because you over eat because of boredom. Because in my mind my inner monologue is telling me to get up and exercise, but then I grab snacks instead.

I cannot even contemplate getting the gastric band. I've had enough medical issues that I dislike surgery and being drugged.

I think maybe a good way to start is to opt for healthier things to snack on. @VenomousAlbino has so far lost over a stone by eating healthier snacks and not drinking fizzy drinks any more.

Yeah, having weight loss surgery is an extreme thing to do, but I'd tried everything and this was the last option. It worked, but it's by no means the easy option that people believe it to be.

Does anyone have a hard time committing long term to exercise or diet?

Changing my food habits are difficult because when I start to have an emotional melt down, I cope with eating comfort foods. Then I go through an "I don't care" phase of eating, before feeling guilty for not being able to commit and end up trying again. Just ends up in a circle.

Also, I find exercising so boring. I listen to music, but I still find myself getting bored. I've also tried audiobooks which work for other aspects of my life to help me focus on specific tasks, but I still find myself getting bored exercising.

What do you do to help?
I could have written this myself.

Last year I lost 3st, 2 of which I've gained back :(

I've managed to get myself back on track with food, but exercise long term will never happen

but exercise long term will never happen

I'm going to start going with my sister to the personal trainer she's been seeing for about 6 months. So far she's lost 3 stone, and I have to do something now that my band is empty. I know I'll hate it, but it's only an hour a week. I would never go on my own, and I'm hoping the cost will be an impetus to keep going. That and my sister is my lift so I can't make excuses to not go :tearsofjoy:

I'm going to start going with my sister to the personal trainer she's been seeing for about 6 months. So far she's lost 3 stone, and I have to do something now that my band is empty. I know I'll hate it, but it's only an hour a week. I would never go on my own, and I'm hoping the cost will be an impetus to keep going. That and my sister is my lift so I can't make excuses to not go :tearsofjoy:
I paid for a gym membership and only went once.

I have a Jillian Michaels workout DVD which I have done in the past, but its just getting started and doing it everyday - most days its a miracle I get out of bed and take the kids to school so fitting in something I hate isn't a priority lol

I still find myself getting bored exercising.

What do you do to help?

It can be boring, but, I tend to kind of fit it in every day in a routine like way. Doing the same thing all the time, can make it awful. So, I'll dance to something online, teach myself something new like hip hop, or do yoga with some video on youtube. I'll try eastern dance moves, or belly dancing or basque dance or martial arts. Anything to get me moving.

Often I'll do things habitually, so cycling or walking or stretching or small weights. I like being outside, so this gives me a reason to be out.

I would be very haphazard with exercising. Would get into a good routine, but got bored and then, make excuses.

The carthatic moment for me, was what I thought was acid attacking my heart, was, in fact more sinister and discovered that I was on the brink of a heart attack! My husband phoned for a cardio appointment, but the date was too far away and I sensed that I would be dead then, so something clicked in and I drastically reduced eating refined sugar and got back on our exercise bike. I hasten to add, I had told my husband to get rid of the clumsy thing and oh, how glad I was that he refused to: I could only manage 3 minutes and that was pushing it, at tension one. But fear of dying or at least, becoming very sick, sort of gave me a huge kick up my bottom and I went on that bike every day!

In one month, my heart stopped hurting; my pulse was back to normal and so was my blood pressure and my blood was not thick anymore. I touched not a single tablet; all good eating and exercising and I exercise regularly now and LOVE it, because I see the benefits. I can bend without being breathless, which is amazing.

In fact, I have learned so much about exercises. First of all, one has to reduce bad sugars and up their fat content, in order for exercises to be successful. Eat before you exercise, because we need fuel to be able to exercise.

Walking and cardio are the only exercises a person needs to lose weight. That is, if one's life is not very active anyway, as mine isn't.

As I said: I started of a level 1 and could only go for a max of 3 minutes. I am now on level 8, which is the highest and can go for 20 mins!

Motivation factor. Either health scare, which was what happened to me. Or: seeing results and again, if one is eating more sugar over fat, they will not lose weight at all, because sugar does not burn.

So, all that we are told is bad for us, is actually good for us; it is refined sugars that are chronically bad for us.

Oh and high cholestrol is important to our overall health. Yep, it is common idea that one needs to lower their cholestrol levels, but actually, it is completely the opposite.

I know very slim and very healthy people who have high cholestrol levels and know one who is very ill, who has low cholestrol levels.

Oh and carbs turn to sugar and starch is not good either.

Sorry, I could go on and on ( as I have done anyway here), but it is all so exciting to me.

same as suzanne Ive got high cholesterol and fat just makes me feel ill
so its easier ,walking is the only exercise i do apart from climbing the stairs walking is supposed to be the best exercise and lowest impact for injuries ,dance is also enjoyable

Yes. Everybody has a hard time doing that. Autistic, neurotypical, really everyone in the world. It's just hard to eat right.

Yes I agree completely about excercising. My flatmate is NT and takes me to the gym with her sometimes.... a lot of the people there seem very NT I have to say.... I get bored after 5 minutes even though usually I love people watching.
She also tried to teach me some 'body toning' excercises e.g. lunges, squats. I couldnt do any of them and kept falling over. Everyone else in the gym is stony faced and they don't seem to have any flaws (with their bodies or with their minds). Maybe I'm being paraniod. I just don't like it.

Yes I agree completely about excercising. My flatmate is NT and takes me to the gym with her sometimes.... a lot of the people there seem very NT I have to say.... I get bored after 5 minutes even though usually I love people watching.
She also tried to teach me some 'body toning' excercises e.g. lunges, squats. I couldnt do any of them and kept falling over. Everyone else in the gym is stony faced and they don't seem to have any flaws (with their bodies or with their minds). Maybe I'm being paraniod. I just don't like it.

I tend to watch people at the gym because that is far more interesting, but I've had enough people yell at me or threaten me for "staring". I'm not very good at watching covertly. I can't turn my thinking off long enough to meditate or calm, and I think that is what most of those gym types can do.

I fall over a lot and am still a little nervous to move too much since my back injury. My Physical Therapist has said I am cleared to do anything that doesn't hurt, but I am still worried all it will take is a wrong move and I'll be laying in the floor unable to move my left leg again.

I mainly go to the gym for swimming and can't stand for many people to be there. If there are too many people in the pool, I'll sit in the locker room and wait for them to leave. Or I'll just leave. I'm trying to find a good low impact workout for at home, but even then, I still feel like I'm being judged because I can't do higher impact workouts.

My partner is very supportive, and I think we could exercise together, but we are on opposite schedules. I work nights and my partner works days. By the time we even see each other, it's bed time for one of us. This also means that I need a quiet workout.

I'm working on the same thing ...and I just discovered that eating is one of my stims. I kept wondering why I ate when I wasn't hungry and didn't even want food, and then while researching stims a bit more I found a category called 'oral stimming'. Turns out I can push a paper clip around in my mouth and get the same effect as eating. A paper clip may not work for you, but maybe something else?

I'm working on the same thing ...and I just discovered that eating is one of my stims. I kept wondering why I ate when I wasn't hungry and didn't even want food, and then while researching stims a bit more I found a category called 'oral stimming'. Turns out I can push a paper clip around in my mouth and get the same effect as eating. A paper clip may not work for you, but maybe something else?

I can't put anything metal in my mouth. I used to chew on anything metal when I was young. Staples, paperclips, pennies... I'm worried since I would chew, I'd get back into the destructive habit and mess my teeth up more. I did it for years until a dentist found a staple between my teeth. My parents freaked out. I have to find something to chew that isn't destructive. I am constantly eating the "sonic" ice at work which isn't too bad, but can't do that at home.

I can't put anything metal in my mouth. I used to chew on anything metal when I was young. Staples, paperclips, pennies... I'm worried since I would chew, I'd get back into the destructive habit and mess my teeth up more. I did it for years until a dentist found a staple between my teeth. My parents freaked out. I have to find something to chew that isn't destructive. I am constantly eating the "sonic" ice at work which isn't too bad, but can't do that at home.

How about a chew? I don't know where you are in the world, so this site might be no good, but there are tonnes of places that sell them.

Chewelry | Stylish Oral Sensory Chews | ARK Therapeutic

How about a chew? I don't know where you are in the world, so this site might be no good, but there are tonnes of places that sell them.

Chewelry | Stylish Oral Sensory Chews | ARK Therapeutic

Unfortunately, I can't have wearable chews. I work in a hospital and its a contamination issue. I can make do with gum at home, but going outside the house would look weird with one of those. I need something that can be contained in my mouth.

Unfortunately, I can't have wearable chews. I work in a hospital and its a contamination issue. I can make do with gum at home, but going outside the house would look weird with one of those. I need something that can be contained in my mouth.

Ah yeah, I can see the problem. Could you just use chewing gum outside of the house too? (I realise probably not in work)

Ah yeah, I can see the problem. Could you just use chewing gum outside of the house too? (I realise probably not in work)

That would be soooooo much gum. My OCD dictates I must have 2 pieces so I can chew one piece on each side. I have been going through a lot of it, but will probably continue that way.

Thanks for your help.

My diet is based upon ketogenics or Ketosis, almost no carbs with lots of heathy fat and a touch of protein. I started the diet for health and to drop weight. Now I am almost addicted to looking at scale each morning as I know I can drop .5 to .7kg each day.

I walk with the dog, exercise is way to boring.

New Threads

Top Bottom